Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For instance, say I want to get an ambi safety. Do I need to get one specifically for the make or will any safety fit into any 1911. What about grips, mag releases, etc.?

·
Registered
17,815 Posts
A. How interchangeable are the parts of an engine...would you just slap a "new" piston on a connector rod and put it in the block w/o 1st knowing clearances and maybe doing a little bit of work on it 1st?

B. Ambi-Safety...the thing that prevents the pistol from going bang when you don't want it to...do you really want to leave that particular piece/function to chance?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Most after market parts like a ambi safety are not drop in. they need work done to make them fit your model gun. The 1911 design is the same for most pistols, but the measurements are not. Hand grips are the one thing you will have no issue just putting on. Unless you install a ambi safety then you will need to cut away some of the hand grip on the right side of the pistol with 90% of grips. Sometimes you get lucky and a replacement part can drop in with no work done, but I wouldn't count on it.

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So then the short answer is no. Sucks being a lefty. I'm looking at an RO but would like an ambi safety. I'd hope to not have to spend too much after the fact to a gunsmith.

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
IMO the only high tolerance item in the safety is the pin, the other the sear blocking part you can hand fit. Mine were both drop in (extended then ambi) but its not guaranteed.

I've had grips not work with the plunger tube had to dremel in more space (don't dremel G10 grips its permenantly bad for your lungs woops) many models of grips you can get ambi cut they should drop in for you.

Mag releases I've never seen one that doesn't drop in, but I'd be hard pressed to find a need for replacing it aside from aesthetics. An extended mag release can get pressed by many holsters causing not locked in mag. I got into a fight one day, after decided to blow off some steam went to the range (immediately behind work) pulled my gun and the mag fell out. Never used an extended again.

·
Registered
212 Posts
So then the short answer is no. Sucks being a lefty. I'm looking at an RO but would like an ambi safety. I'd hope to not have to spend too much after the fact to a gunsmith.
Get a wilson combat or something along those lines. See if you can install it yourself, if not a gunsmith like gander mnt charges like 40 bucks to fit one.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Any good quality in-spec after-market part should fit any in-spec 1911, but some parts may require fitting to a particular pistol, like thumb safeties and grip safeties, for example. The fitting is usually minimal and should be done by someone who knows what they are doing.

Once fitted to a particular pistol, the part may or may not function properly in another.

Ambi safeties gunsmith installed should not be terribly expensive. If you can afford the pistol and the part, cost to install shouldn't be a deal-breaker.

CX

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
I took out my ambi safety on my EMP and installed a single side.
After reading, researching, and watching a videos, it wasn't that hard to do.
Just a bit of filing in the right place.

If you doubt your ability to do it yourself, have a gunsmith fit it.

As far as buying new parts for your 1911, they are pretty generic.
You don't have to buy Kimber parts for a Kimber.
You don't have to buy Colt parts for a Colt.
You don't have to buy Springfield parts for a Springfield.

I'd go Ed Brown or Wilson Combat parts, but others make good parts as well.

Ed Brown Ed Brown Products, 1911, parts
Wilson Combat 1911 Parts & Accessories | Wilson Combat
Fusion Fusion Firearms
Dawson Precision www.dawsonprecision.com Home Page

Or just go to Brownells, they have a bit of everything...
World's Largest Supplier of Gun Parts, Gunsmith Tools & Shooting Accessories - Brownells

·
Registered
725 Posts
Most after market parts like a ambi safety are not drop in. they need work done to make them fit your model gun. The 1911 design is the same for most pistols, but the measurements are not. Hand grips are the one thing you will have no issue just putting on. Unless you install a ambi safety then you will need to cut away some of the hand grip on the right side of the pistol with 90% of grips. Sometimes you get lucky and a replacement part can drop in with no work done, but I wouldn't count on it.
Heh, my cheap 1911 copy claims to be 100% interchangeable with real 1911 parts (whatever that means, hehe) except for the grips, which for some reason they had to spread the screws out, so I'm pretty much stuck with the factories. Can't fire it left handed anyway; my trigger finger hits the slidelock too often in recoil.

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
Heh, my cheap 1911 copy claims to be 100% interchangeable with real 1911 parts (whatever that means, hehe) except for the grips, which for some reason they had to spread the screws out, so I'm pretty much stuck with the factories. Can't fire it left handed anyway; my trigger finger hits the slidelock too often in recoil.

If you really want different grips, I'd shoot Larry Davidson an email.
He might be able to make you a set.
Perhaps if you mail him your stock grips so he can use them as a template, he could make you some.

I'm just guessing he can do it.
He made me a custom set of grips for my Kimber CDP Ultra.
I told him what I wanted, sent a few pics, and he made them right up.

It would be worth an email just to see if he can..;)

MonkeyGrips

Email
[email protected]

Phone
830-214-5144

·
Registered
725 Posts
Ooh pretty. I'm not really worried about it now, since it's about a third level backup these days. May think about him for something or other else, though. Thanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.