Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got dam these things are impossible to get off. Tried the technique I saw in a youtube video of putting pressure on the sides, jamming a punch in and pushing the spring all the way down, then putting pressure on the front of the hole sliding forward. All it did was bend the floorplate / stretch the hole, and snapped my starrett 1/16th steel punch in half! Any tips for removing the floor plates on these things?!

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
You really gotta open up a can of man and squeeze those sides. They can be a pain in the ass the first time taking them off. I use the Glock tool, squeeze like hell, and it slides off eventually. After that first one it gets easier.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
You are not gritting your teeth enough...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
You need 3 Men, a Mule and a Sledge Hammer (aka: USMC Fine Adjustment Tool).
If that don't work, get a larger adjustment tool. :D

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
It's pretty easy if you have a standard capacity magazine. Just push the little button on the base in and lever forward with whatever punch, hex key, nail you used to push the button in on the base. While doing that, simultaneously pinch the sides of the mag body near the base.

With those reduced capacity "California" magazines, they have two humps just inside the mag body that prevent you from pushing the spring plate in like you would on a normal mag. It makes the whole process a much bigger pain in the ass, but it's the same procedure, you just can't get as much leverage to pull the base plate off and the mag sides don't push in as easy.

·
Banned
0 Posts
Buy the tool.

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
Lol get a Glock Tool I remember I had this issue years ago lol

·
Premium Member
4,323 Posts
Unless you have that special 'tool', they are a pain in the butt to remove. I don't have the tool, I just use my Glock punch and a small c-clamp to help push in the side. Be careful that you don't use too much force or you could damage the mag.

As I said, they are a pain in the butt lol.

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
op you can pm me and use my tool it will save you a headache

·
Registered
11,292 Posts

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Glock mag floorplate 1 .....starrett 1/16th steel punch nothing! .....HA!!!

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
You are having to squeeze the mag because of these tabs..

It just takes a little work.

Beware of using pliers or visegrips, you can bend the inner metal liner and render your mags useless.

I have one of these, but don't always need to use it.
Mostly first time taking a mag apart, then it gets easier.

GTUL 9MM/40S&W | GTUL

PM sent..

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 27 Posts