Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I won't touch Any alcohol when in public and carrying.but have known some who might have a single beer while carrying. I won't have much to drink at home either.
This is just one of many habits social and at home I have changed since I started to actively carry years ago.
I have seen some who open carry and see several things that jump out to me. That in the event of them using the gun in a self defense situation.could end up complicating even a clear cut case of self defense.if not criminally then civil court.and I don't think they even care thinking about it.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Away from my property I only conceal carry. Never drank anyway.

I see people open carry in public and it appears many of them pay little to know attention to that pistol. Hangs off the belt, sometimes half way around their ass. Their kids are standing around getting into stuff and they seem to pay more attention to the kids than to what is going on around them.

I try to be careful and check/adjust as needed when I get my feet on that ground outside the car and stand up. Better to go through a routine of insuring my phone is in my pocket, my walled it in my pocket, my shirt/jacket is adjusted properly AND my pistol/holster are where they should be on the belt after sitting in the car/truck driving to my desitnation. Then I close the door and lock it.

I try not to bend over in a store/in public. I'll kneel down as much as I can (as much as my old knees will allow) to get stuff off lower shelves.

When I go to the rest room I try to use a stall if there are any open. If not I do sort of twist to the right and stand close to the divider between urinals if they are there.

We always use a booth to eat our meals and I sit with my right side "in" rather than out on the aisle where people walk by.

I carry one extra magazine on me if carrying a double stack pistol. With two more in the vehicle. If carrying the little M&P Shield 9MM I carry three extra magazines on me. The Shield isn't my first choice but it's so small and easily concealed that it's almost invisible compared to the other two carry pistols I usually use (P07s).

If the place is either not lawful to carry or has signs up against carry I no longer go there (except the county courthouse when I have to fiddle with some kind of paperwork or other.)

I don't want others to know I'm carrying. The definition of concealed carry. To me anyway.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Hi,

I won't touch Any alcohol when in public and carrying.but have known some who might have a single beer while carrying. I won't have much to drink at home either.
This is just one of many habits social and at home I have changed since I started to actively carry years ago.
I have seen some who open carry and see several things that jump out to me. That in the event of them using the gun in a self defense situation.could end up complicating even a clear cut case of self defense.if not criminally then civil court.and I don't think they even care thinking about it.
Yes, my CCW has certainly changed several habits of mine and enjoying adult beverages is one of them. I've always enjoyed a barley pop or two, and maybe a jigger, during an evening on the town or when playing a gig. That came to a screeching halt when I got my CCW. Here in this state alcohol and concealed carry do not mix, at all. I am of the opinion that even after one beer I am "under the influence" for the next couple of hours even though I may not be over the "legal limit" of .08%. This could weigh heavily in any criminal or civil action after a self-defense situation. I will have a non-alcoholic beer, in a glass so as to keep up "appearances", during the evening so that no one would suspect my behavior. I just do not drink alcohol when I'm away from home with my EDC. I have found that at home I usually limit my enjoyment to just two beers in an evening. It takes me all weekend to drink a six pack these days. I must say, the reduction in my alcohol intake has facilitated a bit of weight loss. All my jeans are fitting better these days. ;)

I have a friend who will have a beer or two when he's out carrying. We've discussed this and he says, "If I have a drink then it's not coming out", meaning he would not draw or use his pistol because of the alcohol restrictions. But how can he really say that? Hypothetically, if you find yourself in immediate danger with an imminent threat about to maim, kill, or do significant damage to your person, wouldn't you draw down regardless of the fact that you may have had a couple?

On the one recent occasion I was out with my EDC and knew I would have a drink, I locked it in the safe in my truck and didn't take it out until I got home. If Mrs. BassCliff is with me, she will insist on driving home even if I've had only two drinks with my meal. Happy wife, happy life. Ya know? ;)

Habit number two is dress. I have always been a neat freak when it comes to dress. My short time in the Air Force trained me to always tuck in my shirt and keep my gig line straight. I've had to get used to un-tucked shirttails and polo shirts. I have a "tuck-able" holster but have not practiced much with it. That's something I should address in the near future should the fetching Mrs. BassCliff and I go somewhere fancy.

Habit number three is, um, privacy. When using a public mens room I find myself going to a stall rather than standing at the urinal. Like Mr. @M1A4ME, it's much more convenient to do your business when you don't have to worry about your kit flopping out and being seen. I've gotten pretty good at holding everything while standing at the urinal when I have to. I did it at church today. (Is that TMI?) But I'd rather not take the chance of an accidental "brandishing".

Habit number four is checking my "reach" and "bend" before leaving the house so that I know what my limits are, how well my shirt covers, etc. I also check my quick-draw before leaving the house just so I can be assured I can defeat the garment if necessary. I have some shirts that are rather slick and some that have a tighter tail that is harder to grab. I need to know if I can lift from the tail of if I'll need to just grab a handful of shirt to pull it up out of the way of my draw.

Thanks to Mr. @M1A4ME for the seating arrangement when dining at a booth. I'd never thought of keeping my EDC toward the inside of the booth, away from people waking by. You see, Mrs. BassCliff is a lefty. If we sit so that my EDC it toward the inside, our elbows will bump while we are dining unless the booth is large enough. But would it not be advantageous to have your EDC on the outside? That way it seems much more accessible in case you have to use it. You would not have to defeat your garment and the table to put it in action as quickly as possible. Just a thought.

Even though there is a sign, as long as I know it's not strictly illegal to carry, I will carry anyway. (The bad guys disregard the sign too.) If anyone notices and I'm asked to leave, I will leave right away. Only my closest friends know I carry. I don't advertise. I never carry in a federal or court building, that's just silly, or anywhere there will be a metal detector, like at a couple of concerts we attended last year. It is not illegal to carry in a bar if it also serves food. Just don't drink. ;)

I carry an extra magazine on my belt. I never thought about keeping more magazines in my truck. I'll have to look into whether or not I'd have to keep them locked up rather than just loose in the console or glovebox. I know I can carry as much ammo as I want but then you run into concealment problems. One mag carrier I can get away with but probably not four. ;) If I recall my CCW class at the sheriff's station, I can have as much ammo in my truck as I want when I'm by myself but it has to be kept away from minors. My firearm can not be available to anyone else in the vehicle, unless my EDC serial number is also on my wife's permit. Then it's OK if she has access to it, as from a magnetic carrier under the dash.

That about covers it for now. I'll stop rambling. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

·
Registered
58 Posts
Its can be easy to lose your carry permit in Texas. When I walk out the door locked and loaded which is nearly everyday I dont let the little things or even the big things bug me.

I avoid eye contact when someone offends me in traffic; cuts me off, tailgates me, gives me the finger for no apparent reason, etc.

I drive the speed limit, usually lower than the limit by a couple of mph. I drive in the right hand lane, I always use the turn signals and do so within plenty of time before making a lane change or turn.

I dont fuel up my cars at night nor do I go to a convenient which usually targets for robbery.

I have increased my situational awareness. I check my surroundings before, while and after I exit my vehicle. While walking to my destination and on the way back to my car.

I make sure my phone is fully charged when. I leave my home. If I suspect I am being followed I don't drive home I'll detour away from home. Usually its someone who happens to be going the same general direction. If someone is following I'll call 911, which I had to do only once.

Don't be a victim by being aware of your surroundings at all time.

Did you know that in Texas those with a carry permit are less likely to commit a crime, even a very minor one like a traffic offense, than the average person who doesn't have a carry permit?

Why? We don't like to attract attention to ourselves. I'll never open carry because I feel very strongly about drawing attention to myself.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
I've carried daily since 1994, since about 2010 I've open carried more than concealed carried.
I rarely drink but on the off chance I do, my wife drives and takes possession of the hardware.

In bathrooms, I'll use a stall to avoid splash back from the urinal more so than the imaginary boogy man everyone is scared of. If all that is open is a urinal, I put my right forearm on top of the gun and use the left arm to complete the transaction. If someone gets too close, just turn around quickly midstream, they will back off.

In restaurants I sit at a table with my back as close to the wall as possible, so I don't have to watch anything behind me and with my strong side closest to the isle.
Sitting with the gun inboard at a booth makes your draw stroke hit the table and a booth offers zero cover in case of a situation.
A table can be flipped to give minor cover if needed and drawing into the isle means nothing interfere with your draw stroke. Since the wall is behind you that imaginary gun grabber isn't there either.

I do carry a BUG in case the imaginary boogy man shows up, but in damn near 30 years of carrying, it hasn't been needed yet.
Taking a weapon retention class doesn't hurt either.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I'm good about avoiding public places. I already can't stand crowds so that's an easy one. When it comes to alcohol, if I'm gonna participate I put it away. If I'm gonna participate in physical activity, il put it away in a safe place. My current setup does stays in place but common sense. I use to use a XDsc with clip draw, super convenient but it was very limiting as far as physical activity. It's common sense to me, that if your going to consume any substance that can impair your judgement to just not carry or participate. I'm old enough to know to avoid higher risk cituations. I E- late night outings, certain type of stores, certain areas around my neighborhood.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Never did / still don't drink, so that was never a consideration. However, my temper (which was usually pretty mild anyway), is even more under control now. While I may gripe, grumble and bitch about other drivers while in my car, I don't lay on the horn or make any gestures to encourage any of their road rage. If I see a place with a no guns sign, either I bring my business elsewhere, (if possible), or just ignore it and laugh at those clowns as I bite my tongue and try not to give them too much crap about it.

Reactions: BassCliff

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
The opinion of having only one drink makes you “under the influence” is totally true. You may not be drunk but still under the influence and that can still get you in trouble. An incident once happened in our town where a fellow left the tavern and was heading home 4 blocks away. He noticed he had a low tire so stopped at the Chevron along the way to fill it. During this time the cop noticed him there and knew he had been at the tavern so he stopped by to “chat” with him. He had him blow into the breathalyzer and even though he was under the limit they detained him and wouldn’t let him go home. Not even walk home. They waited long enough and kept testing until he barely blew an .08 and then hauled him to jail which everyone thought was BS. Just an working guy watching the game at the tav with his friends and got made an example of. I think of that whenever someone says they only had one beer because they’ll find a way to haul you in somehow.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Used to be quite a runner. Always carried a Shield 9mm in a bellyband. Live in a small town and can’t swing a dead cat without being on a piece of school property. Had to make sure I always stayed off the school property so made for some strange routes to get in the miles.

Eventually I solved the problem though by quitting running😉.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I quit drinking 6 years ago but like many here I would never touch the stuff if I was out and carrying. I also, in the last several years, never touched a drop if I was driving, period.

Im also more aware of my surroundings when carrying. And lets be real, if youre at the store and need to use “the facilities” and have to take the holster off to drop trou, dont leave anything behind. Right? Lol.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have been carrying concealed on and off since about 1991 - and as a rule - I just avoid places where there might be a conflict, you know the bad bars and such.
Also not a drinker, so wasn't an issue for me to never drink
Generally just have way more situational awareness, I tend to notice other people carrying, as i just look for guns and knives on other people, and yes when at a restaurant or what not I try for the seat with my back to the wall and eyes on the door, and I look for the exit signs (i used to travel a lot for work, and worked in EMS for a little while, knowing where the exits are is how one stays alive in a fire, flood, earthquake, etc, and possibly avoids a violent situation).

JAG

·
Registered
58 Posts
The opinion of having only one drink makes you “under the influence” is totally true. You may not be drunk but still under the influence and that can still get you in trouble. An incident once happened in our town where a fellow left the tavern and was heading home 4 blocks away. He noticed he had a low tire so stopped at the Chevron along the way to fill it. During this time the cop noticed him there and knew he had been at the tavern so he stopped by to “chat” with him. He had him blow into the breathalyzer and even though he was under the limit they detained him and wouldn’t let him go home. Not even walk home. They waited long enough and kept testing until he barely blew an .08 and then hauled him to jail which everyone thought was BS. Just an working guy watching the game at the tav with his friends and got made an example of. I think of that whenever someone says they only had one beer because they’ll find a way to haul you in somehow.
Does anyone realize how apparent you've had one beer, glass of wine or mixed drink? It's very apparent especially if you haven't had a drink in a few days.

I do take a drink it'll be a day that we plan on staying home. I guess I could leave the pistol in the trunk after having one drink but what's the point of leaving in the trunk.

At college tailgate parties I generally leave my pistol at home and let my wife drive us. The beer, ribs, etc. are plentiful and free so I'll take my fill. With ticket prices for college football getting out of control I don't attend many home games on the off chance that I do. The pistol stays home and my wife drives.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Does anyone realize how apparent you've had one beer, glass of wine or mixed drink? It's very apparent especially if you haven't had a drink in a few days.

I do take a drink it'll be a day that we plan on staying home. I guess I could leave the pistol in the trunk after having one drink but what's the point of leaving in the trunk.

At college tailgate parties I generally leave my pistol at home and let my wife drive us. The beer, ribs, etc. are plentiful and free so I'll take my fill. With ticket prices for college football getting out of control I don't attend many home games on the off chance that I do. The pistol stays home and my wife drives.
I’ve also known people that could pound down a six pack and you couldn’t tell right off.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi,

Yes, my CCW has certainly changed several habits of mine and enjoying adult beverages is one of them. I've always enjoyed a barley pop or two, and maybe a jigger, during an evening on the town or when playing a gig. That came to a screeching halt when I got my CCW. Here in this state alcohol and concealed carry do not mix, at all. I am of the opinion that even after one beer I am "under the influence" for the next couple of hours even though I may not be over the "legal limit" of .08%. This could weigh heavily in any criminal or civil action after a self-defense situation. I will have a non-alcoholic beer, in a glass so as to keep up "appearances", during the evening so that no one would suspect my behavior. I just do not drink alcohol when I'm away from home with my EDC. I have found that at home I usually limit my enjoyment to just two beers in an evening. It takes me all weekend to drink a six pack these days. I must say, the reduction in my alcohol intake has facilitated a bit of weight loss. All my jeans are fitting better these days. ;)

I have a friend who will have a beer or two when he's out carrying. We've discussed this and he says, "If I have a drink then it's not coming out", meaning he would not draw or use his pistol because of the alcohol restrictions. But how can he really say that? Hypothetically, if you find yourself in immediate danger with an imminent threat about to maim, kill, or do significant damage to your person, wouldn't you draw down regardless of the fact that you may have had a couple?

On the one recent occasion I was out with my EDC and knew I would have a drink, I locked it in the safe in my truck and didn't take it out until I got home. If Mrs. BassCliff is with me, she will insist on driving home even if I've had only two drinks with my meal. Happy wife, happy life. Ya know? ;)

Habit number two is dress. I have always been a neat freak when it comes to dress. My short time in the Air Force trained me to always tuck in my shirt and keep my gig line straight. I've had to get used to un-tucked shirttails and polo shirts. I have a "tuck-able" holster but have not practiced much with it. That's something I should address in the near future should the fetching Mrs. BassCliff and I go somewhere fancy.

Habit number three is, um, privacy. When using a public mens room I find myself going to a stall rather than standing at the urinal. Like Mr. @M1A4ME, it's much more convenient to do your business when you don't have to worry about your kit flopping out and being seen. I've gotten pretty good at holding everything while standing at the urinal when I have to. I did it at church today. (Is that TMI?) But I'd rather not take the chance of an accidental "brandishing".

Habit number four is checking my "reach" and "bend" before leaving the house so that I know what my limits are, how well my shirt covers, etc. I also check my quick-draw before leaving the house just so I can be assured I can defeat the garment if necessary. I have some shirts that are rather slick and some that have a tighter tail that is harder to grab. I need to know if I can lift from the tail of if I'll need to just grab a handful of shirt to pull it up out of the way of my draw.

Thanks to Mr. @M1A4ME for the seating arrangement when dining at a booth. I'd never thought of keeping my EDC toward the inside of the booth, away from people waking by. You see, Mrs. BassCliff is a lefty. If we sit so that my EDC it toward the inside, our elbows will bump while we are dining unless the booth is large enough. But would it not be advantageous to have your EDC on the outside? That way it seems much more accessible in case you have to use it. You would not have to defeat your garment and the table to put it in action as quickly as possible. Just a thought.

Even though there is a sign, as long as I know it's not strictly illegal to carry, I will carry anyway. (The bad guys disregard the sign too.) If anyone notices and I'm asked to leave, I will leave right away. Only my closest friends know I carry. I don't advertise. I never carry in a federal or court building, that's just silly, or anywhere there will be a metal detector, like at a couple of concerts we attended last year. It is not illegal to carry in a bar if it also serves food. Just don't drink. ;)

I carry an extra magazine on my belt. I never thought about keeping more magazines in my truck. I'll have to look into whether or not I'd have to keep them locked up rather than just loose in the console or glovebox. I know I can carry as much ammo as I want but then you run into concealment problems. One mag carrier I can get away with but probably not four. ;) If I recall my CCW class at the sheriff's station, I can have as much ammo in my truck as I want when I'm by myself but it has to be kept away from minors. My firearm can not be available to anyone else in the vehicle, unless my EDC serial number is also on my wife's permit. Then it's OK if she has access to it, as from a magnetic carrier under the dash.

That about covers it for now. I'll stop rambling. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

BassCliff
My only concern is having the "non alcoholic beer "in a glass for appearance sake. You know its non alcoholic, but no one else does. If something happened and you had to use your weapon, a witness interviewed by police could say that they saw you drinking beer. They have no way of knowing it was non alcoholic.
Just my opinion. Stay safe.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Hi,

My only concern is having the "non alcoholic beer "in a glass for appearance sake. You know its non alcoholic, but no one else does. If something happened and you had to use your weapon, a witness interviewed by police could say that they saw you drinking beer. They have no way of knowing it was non alcoholic.
Just my opinion. Stay safe.
That's a good point. Let's hope the bartender, server, or my friends would testify as to what I may have been drinking should that situation ever occur. I never drink alone when I'm "out" with my EDC. Plus, any breathalyzer or blood test would be negative. ;)

BassCliff

·
Registered
58 Posts
Honestly I stay home to have my beer or mixed drinks. I don't go out to do that anymore. It'll always be less expensive to buy beer at your grocery store. The beer I drink is $19/case and this case holds 30 cans of beer. That's about .63¢ per can. When I go out its about $3 each and at a college football game or pro sport it'll cost $8/can. Seriously? .63¢ vs $8? At those prices I'll keep on keepin on at home.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Hi,

Honestly I've stayed home to have my beer or mixed drinks. I don't go out to do that anymore. It'll always be less expensive to buy beer at your grocery store. The beer I drink is $19/case and this case holds 30 cans of beer. That's about .63¢ per can. When I go out its about $3 each and at a college football game or pro sport it'll cost $8/can. Seriously? .63¢ vs $8? At those prices I'll keep on keepin on at home.
I enjoy my beer at home too, and I can appreciate saving money, but I don't often skimp on beer. ;)

I've been a really good boy lately so yesterday I rewarded myself with a few bottles of this:

Bottle Liquid Glass bottle Fluid Alcoholic beverage

I can sip on one of these bottles all night long. I don't treat myself like this very often ($15 a bottle), only when I've been extra good. :D

I know, I know. I could've bought a half box of ammo for what this bottle of beer cost. :ROFLMAO: I can drink beer at home, but I can't shoot at home. :p

BassCliff

·
Registered
58 Posts
When I was younger I'd happily pay $$ for a six pack of brew from a micro brewery. Now I am married, don't earn as much as I used to so spend less on some things and about the same on others. No one can deny that buying ammo these days takes a huge bite out of discretionary budget. When I buy ammo from Freedom Munitions I spend .50¢ a round on ammo when I used to spend .34¢ for the same stuff.

The stuff I buy is .55¢ a round for 69gr OTM ammo for a 50 round box. I also buy the 60gr VMAX both in .223. I buy about 500 rounds a month. $15 box for remanufactured 9mm when I used to pay $9.97 for new 115gr FMJ ammo.

So I buy Miller High Life at $19/case of 30 cans. One of my college buddies came over for grilled pork ribs, potato salad and borracho beans. He asked me what kind of beer I had. I said the FREE kind. It had been on ice for 7 hours before he arrived. He took one look at the can and said well its FREE... after one long drink he said this isn't really that bad. It really isn't. Why spend premium dollars on beer? So you can have expensive urine later?

I feel the same way about my guns. If a criminal is going to bust into my home. He'll be just as dead when shot with my $375 Tisas 1911A1 as he would be if I had shot him with a $1300 Colt 1911 I used to own. Dead is dead. It doesn't matter to the criminal what he's shot with. All he knows is he should have stayed home that night and watched a lame movie on cable instead of bleeding all over my clean floor while looking at the bright white light in front of him.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts