1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
409 Posts
if your just going to reload pistol cal. get a dillion square deal B.

get a good reloding book, like a serria binder.

Processes... shoot
tumble the brass for 2 hours to clean
take to the basement and turn the radio, and start cranking.

I can actually reload faster than I can shoot them up(most of the time)

Tumbler, scales, caliper, book.

I usually check every 100 rounds or so for correct powder setting, but once its set its pretty solid.

I reload 40 all the time. Have about 6k rounds loaded with no problems.

PM me if you have any specific questions.

BTW, Dillion has a no BS lifetime wnty. I broke a bolt, and they sent me 3 in 4 days.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Dillon is the way to go for equipment. Buy someone's used dillon press that is 20 years old then send it in and they'll refurb it under the warranty no questions asked.

If you want a digital scale, Pact seems to have the best warranty around. Most others are only a year, theirs is lifetime for everything but the loading pad, so you can't screw it up and just overload it and bust it then want a new one. $95 gets you a 750gr capacity BBK2 to your door in about 3 days.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I don't think you need a digital scale to make plinking ammo for the range. I have a Lee turrent press and load 38, 9mm Maks, 45 GAP, 375 Win, and 223. It works and was bought used for $20. A good step is to find someone who reloads and watch them. Then buy a book, Lee has a good one. Never load rounds for self defence, buy them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Cool...I thought it might be fun to try, and significant savings would push me to try it...but it sounds like I'll just wait till it's something I really want to try for the fun.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
mr24shoe said:
how much money is saved w/ reloading vs. buying?

(more specifically, reloading .40's vs. buying WWB?)

No money is saved. Not a cent. The difference is how many times you get to shoot for the same amount of money. If you get serious about reloading, you'll spend just as much as you always did, you'll just shoot more.

:) It's a beautiful thing. I'm eyeballing a Dillong 550B now...I see it in my future soooon...

(Oh, and while you may not need a digital scale, you NEED a scale of some sort. That's one thing that I consider a must if you want consistent, and therefore, accurate reloads. And a micrometer. I'd suggest analog for both of them. I'm tired of changing batteries on my mic.)

·
Registered
25 Posts
With the old Lee loaders you may not need a scale, but as you get into reloading more often, you will. Lee Pro-1000 has a powder measure that is measured out with "cups" that contain an exact quantity in Cubic Centimeters. They have a size scale that you can use to convert loads from grains (the most common measure) to CC.

All that to explain the Lee's lack of "NEED" for a scale.

However, if you plan on getting into reloading any deeper you will want to buy a better press and a scale.

Reloading is not hard, but it does take a little time and knowledge to understand what you are doing.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I would not trust any way of verifing my loads without a accurate scale. The type depends on the user. My .40 S&W loads cost me .085 cents each using brass I already have. If you need brass you can buy once fired brass for about 5 to 8 cents in bulk. I load on a Dillon 550B.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I would not load without a scale. I check about five loads from the powder measure when I first set it. Then I check one round every 50 rounds. It has never changed, but I still check it. I don't have a powder measure for each setup, so I have to move it and reset for each caliber.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
costs for me with .40 cal:

1. 1000 nickel brass 15$ +shipping 5$ oer 1000
2. 1000 Jhp 180 gr Zeros 73$
3. 1000 fed small pistol primer 18$
4. VV320 powder 1 jug 4# 73$, it takes 1 lb. to load 1000 rounds so 18.225$

So that's 129.25 per 1000 of .40.

If i recycle the brass one can factor that cost out of it. that works out to 109$.

buying a similar round, lets say speer gold dot from ammoman.com runs about 200$ with shipping for a 1000 rounds, when it is available.

So i do save money over factory and i have a load that is tuned for my gun.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts