Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i haven't owned my XDM .45 4.5 for very long and figured the slide tension was pretty normal. however, i went to the range with some friends and their XDMs and the XDs slides were a LOT easier to pull back ... is that just something that comes with time and rounds through the gun?

i would say my gun is very clean and well maintained ... did i miss something?

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Continue to use it... It'll ease on the tension.

Mine is still a little on the rough side. I've only put about 100-150 rounds through it. Ive owned it for over a year now. Its had more lint through the barrel than rounds. Its serves it purpose and she stays by my side everyday.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
did i miss something?
Your morning "Wheaties"?

Just kidding. ;)

No, I think you just need to run some more to get the spring to loosen up a bit. Were you comparing other guys .45's to yours or were they 9mm/.40's? I think the .45 has a stronger spring (not sure -- I don't have one.)

You could use a toothpick and put a small amount of synthetic grease on the rail of the gun to see if that makes it easier. It might help some. Just don't go nuts or it will get messy.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my grip is just fine, with or without my wheaties

i have 1000 rounds to put through it next weekend. can't wait!

·
Registered
18,141 Posts
my buddy has a ruger 9mm he has having issues with.

it was inaccurate a bear to operate a pain to load the magazines.

I spent about an hour with a brush, can of rem oil, and some gun grease. I would say the attention greatly improved it.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Pretty easy to rack the slide on my XDm40, just hoping the mag release loosens up a bit.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Lock the slide open and leave it that way for about a week. That should help relax some of that tention on the recoil spring. I've done this on all my new pistols and it works great.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Springs weaken from cycling -- not being held in tension.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Springs weaken from cycling -- not being held in tension.

Was wondering how long that would take . . . :rolleyes:

A new shooter friend of mine has been running some rounds through my Xdm.40, and though, initially, it was hard for her to rack the slide, she commented recently how it's now gotten much easier.

- - Side note - - - although a petite woman, she has no issues with recoil management and is seriously considering getting her own now! :D

I'm fairly certain there hasn't been that kind of decrease in strength of the spring in the last month or so, and I'd sure hope there won't be that much over the next few thousand (or more) rounds, or I'll be buying a case of springs. But I am certain that her technique has improved, and she's remarked that though it's still tricky, she feels she's "getting better at it."

No doubt there are differences in spring strength between different guns and calibers, necessary for proper function. There may or may not be some weakening of an individual spring that comes with use over time; if so, I'd lay money it's fairly insignificant, but I have no hard fact research to support this. :rolleyes: More significantly, over several hundred (or thousand) rounds worth of loading, dryfiring, malfunction drills, and etc. of racking the slide, maybe we just "get better at it."

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Why the ":rolleyes:"?

Fatigue;
Fatigue is a vital element of spring engineering because: materials have finite fatigue limits,springs operate at high stresses and springs frequently are required to operate for many cycles. Fatigue is an irreversible process that proceeds in three stages; crack initiation, crack propagation and fracture. In order for fatigue to occur, the spring must be subjected to cyclic stresses, the stresses must have a tensile component and there must be plastic strain. The plastic strain is often localized and too small to measure.

Spring Design Handbook

·
Registered
99 Posts
My XDm 45 was a little tough to rack. After 500 or so rounds, either it loosened up, or I just got used to it. Don't have a brand new one here to compare it to. BTW, I love the XDm's slide serrations. Major improvement over the XD IMO.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Why the ":rolleyes:"?

Fatigue;
Fatigue is a vital element of spring engineering because: materials have finite fatigue limits,springs operate at high stresses and springs frequently are required to operate for many cycles. Fatigue is an irreversible process that proceeds in three stages; crack initiation, crack propagation and fracture. In order for fatigue to occur, the spring must be subjected to cyclic stresses, the stresses must have a tensile component and there must be plastic strain. The plastic strain is often localized and too small to measure.

Spring Design Handbook
Which one?

First :rolleyes: . . . .read the comment about locking the slide back and thought about the numerous comments and such about keeping loaded magazines and spring degradation, and your response was the first thing I thought of, scrolled down, and there it was, perfect!

Second :rolleyes: . . . . ya know what happens once in a while here when ya state an opinion without any scientific data to back it up - although I absolutely believe fatigue in springs occurs through repeated use, due to my experiences on the farm and elsewhere, I have no empirical evidence, and my statement that I would bet the fatigue would be pretty insignificant, again based upon experience but no hard data.

That's an excellent explanation of fatigue, agree completely, tho I could have never stated it like that - - - thanks!!!

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
. . . . ya know what happens once in a while here when ya state an opinion without any scientific data to back it up -
Yeah, only too well (happens to me all the time:oops:). Someone that has all the data posts up and we all get fractionally smarter.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts