Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i would think that the only factor in reloading is time ... time it takes to make all the reloads. if you have time, or don't mind it, just how cheap is it actually?

i am looking to reload .45acp and would love to hear what people's initial investments were and what the average cost per round is for their reload.

·
Registered
21 Posts
i would think that the only factor in reloading is time ... time it takes to make all the reloads. if you have time, or don't mind it, just how cheap is it actually?

i am looking to reload .45acp and would love to hear what people's initial investments were and what the average cost per round is for their reload.
Well....i jumped in with 4 buddies. We purchased a dillon 650xl with pretty much all the calibers already. We each paid in $550.......and can load most major calibers.....

i load 40,45, and 223.

My 40 load is about .15 cents. My 45 load is about .17cents...i basically cut the price in half. If i load lead it would be even more savings.

I can reload with a partner almost 1000 rounds every 1.5hrs.

I have been reloading for over a year now....and have loaded well over 6000rounds.....no issues.....

I will warn you though....you won't save money but you will shoot 2x more than you did. The other thing is that reloading is a whole hobby on it's own.

art

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
I'm shooting cast lead in .45 for 5 cents a piece. Of course, I cast my own, so that helps.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Initial cost for me was a Lee Challenger Breech Lock kit. was about 160 delivered if I remember and that included .45 dies already. My reload costs are still higher, I buy primers by the 1000 box and so far 1 lb of powder for about 20 as I am still going thru different loads and powders to find what I like. By weight, I figure I get about 1200 rounds per pound of the powder I'm currently using and that seems to be working out correctly. I use Missouri bullets, but I do want to get back into casting my own like I did with my father many years ago. Right now I'm looking at about 15-16 cents\round or $8\box of 50. Beats the heck out of buying. Once I start buying in bulk my costs will drop a few cents\ round more, casting my own even more as long as I can find a cheap source of lead.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Depends on the equipment you buy. At the very least, I would get a turret press like the kit that LEE offers. If you can afford to buy a good press then I would get a Hornady Lock-N-Load or Dillon 550/650 progressive press. I personally would not want the 550 because it doesnt auto index, but, a lot of guys use them and love them. Get some reloading books and read, read, read.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Get The ABCs of Reloading, read it, then read it again. Then you'll have an understanding of the process, that & how much you shoot/m & the time you have, will dictate the equip you need. Buying in some kind of bulk, you can espect to pay half of the cost of the cheapest/crap factory ammo, like Tula or WWB, UMC, etc. Most shooters just don't need the cost & complexity of a progressive, but they do make a lot of ammo in a short amount of time & that is what you are paying for.
Well....i jumped in with 4 buddies. We purchased a dillon 650xl with pretty much all the calibers already. We each paid in $550.......and can load most major calibers.....
I hope that $2200 included some components, a 650 w/ everything for 3 calibers is just into the $1000 range.

·
Registered
390 Posts
You can get into reloading without putting out much money at all. Maybe $200 to get started with a decent press, scale, dies, caliper, etc.

Components aren't too bad if you buy in bulk. (Have to spend a lot to save a lot there...)

Once the "bug" gets you the costs go up dramatically with multiple presses and every other gadget you "have to have". ;)

·
Registered
160 Posts
I've wondered this myself. I don't shoot as much as I would like. It seems like it would take a while for me to overcome the cost of the initial set up. I think its something I will try though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts