Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to put this here instead of the ammo can because my question is specific to the 1911.

Do any of you guys/gals fire any cast lead in your 1911? How does it fair? Any special considerations?

I ask this question because I will be reloading soon and want a cheap practice round.

Thanks for any help on this issue.

·
Banned
5,690 Posts
In bullseye competition we shoot 185 grain lead SWC at low velocity (700 fps). In matches where 180 rounds are fired, we put one drop of oil on the top round of each magazine right before loading it which creates a nice gooey lube slush and prevents the lead bullets from shaving off and jamming.

I use a Series 80 Colt Gold Cup and never had a jam but it was a real mess at the end of the day.

The problem might be most indoor ranges don't allow lead bullets anymore, if you shoot outside you should be OK however.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
I use a Lee cast 230 grain tc bullet through all of my .45's cast from wheel weights without any issues.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I use 185gr cast from wheel weights, I have 3 1911's and never had a single issue with any of them and shoot nothing but lead out of them.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How goes cleaning afterwards?

Do any of ya'll use the copper caps?

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
How goes cleaning afterwards?

Do any of ya'll use the copper caps?
No problems Hoppes#9 works great. Ballistol works excellent also.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
200gr and 230gr lead is what I've run for 20 years. 10's of thousands of rounds. Same barrel.

I'm not much on "good" cleaning. Gun runs fine, still 3-4" at 50 yards.
Same here. Lead bullets are about all my 1911s see. Mostly 200grLSWC over WST or HP38. Cleaning is really no issue if done every 200-300rds or so. Just bore brush & solvent, couple of patches & done.

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
I shoot swaged 185 gr. Star bullets which I believe are softer than most cast bullets. Star sold out a few years back and I'm not sure if anyone makes them anymore. They do lead a little as all lead bullets do but it's not much of a problem. I clean the barrel out after 2-300 rounds using a FoulOut unit. Does a great job!

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have just recently read that. Noob at this reloading thing.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I'm rather fond of 225gr truncated cones from Meister--officially they are listed as 'cowboy' bullets (SASS). Meister calls them Hard Cast; pushed them to IPSC major PF velocities without significant leading.

·
Registered
462 Posts
If most of my shooting wasn't indoors I'd probably be shooting hardcast lead because it is usually cheaper than even the plated lead bullets, definitely cheaper than jacketed. I'd like to shoot lead because nobody manufactures a 230gr SWC plated or jacketed bullet, at least I haven't found any.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts