Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this is a repost, I dont own an ultrasonic cleaner, Ive been just shooting breakfree or carb cleaner onto, into it, as best as I can and relube it, but would like to know how to deep clean and scrub it.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Past a quick wipe down, I've never felt the need to clean the recoil spring assembly on any semi-auto handgun, and I'm pretty meticulous when it comes to cleaning.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, I will just soak it in acetone and shake it a few times to see if crud comes out of it,
I did a full detail strip clean of the gun that night and couldnt figure out how to get the springs off, but somewhere I read the rod/sleeve portions are welded, dont know the truth to that

·
Registered
106 Posts
thanks, I will just soak it in acetone and shake it a few times to see if crud comes out of it,
I did a full detail strip clean of the gun that night and couldnt figure out how to get the springs off, but somewhere I read the rod/sleeve portions are welded, dont know the truth to that
Acetone can be hard on plastics. I use Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber and some compressed air to clean the recoil spring assembly but only a couple of times a year. Normal cleaning is just a wipe down with a rag or paper towel.

Edited to add: I almost never do more than field strip a gun to clean it. Driving out pins to clean a gun simply isn't necessary. The whole 'Detail Strip' thing has become a symbol of manhood or something, but it simply isn't necessary. I've taken my Glocks apart to make modifications, or to do a twenty five cent trigger job, but driving out pins to clean them or the XDs makes no sense to me at all. It's the perfect way to wreck a good gun.

Fitch

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
Acetone can be hard on plastics. I use Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber and some compressed air to clean the recoil spring assembly but only a couple of times a year. Normal cleaning is just a wipe down with a rag or paper towel.

Edited to add: I almost never do more than field strip a gun to clean it. Driving out pins to clean a gun simply isn't necessary. The whole 'Detail Strip' thing has become a symbol of manhood or something, but it simply isn't necessary. I've taken my Glocks apart to make modifications, or to do a twenty five cent trigger job, but driving out pins to clean them or the XDs makes no sense to me at all. It's the perfect way to wreck a good gun.

Fitch
its also the only way to know how to fully strip a gun and service/ inspect trigger parts on it...and I have yet to "wreck" a gun using the correct tools and taking my time...

I agree it isn't needed every time the gun is cleaned, but mine get disassembled and detail cleaned at least 2x per year; Preventative maintanence is mandatory on a carry/ defense gun...

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm new to the conceal weapon scene and I have to say that I'm glad I joined this site. It is very informative and helpful.

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
I'm new to the conceal weapon scene and I have to say that I'm glad I joined this site. It is very informative and helpful.
don't forget sarcastic...and sometimes downright cynical! :grin:

·
Registered
503 Posts
its also the only way to know how to fully strip a gun and service/ inspect trigger parts on it...and I have yet to "wreck" a gun using the correct tools and taking my time...

I agree it isn't needed every time the gun is cleaned, but mine get disassembled and detail cleaned at least 2x per year; Preventative maintanence is mandatory on a carry/ defense gun...
I think detail stripping the slide on a defensive gun every few thousand rounds holds some merit, but nothing beyond that. I have been carrying for over 10 years, shoot my carry guns a lot, even compete with them sometimes, and have never detailed stripped the frames and believe there is absolutely no need to do so unless a part needs inspection or replacement.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Not nearly as informative as many other sites, be careful what you read here...

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
Steer clear the Carb cleaner. If ya wanna save some $$ over the Gun Scrubber, the non-acetone brake cleaner works great. :wink:

·
Registered
503 Posts
Steer clear the Carb cleaner. If ya wanna save some $$ over the Gun Scrubber, the non-acetone brake cleaner works great. :wink:
I think you mean non-chlorinated brake cleaner.

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
I think detail stripping the slide on a defensive gun every few thousand rounds holds some merit, but nothing beyond that. I have been carrying for over 10 years, shoot my carry guns a lot, even compete with them sometimes, and have never detailed stripped the frames and believe there is absolutely no need to do so unless a part needs inspection or replacement.
Do what works for you...just curious, how do you know a part needs replacement unless you inspect it first? And how does one inspect trigger components without disassembling the trigger group from the frame?

If you have some way of doing it without disassembling, please share it!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Do what works for you...just curious, how do you know a part needs replacement unless you inspect it first? And how does one inspect trigger components without disassembling the trigger group from the frame?

I feel the same. No way to know unless you look. Plus I feel its good to know how to completely break down and re assemble all your firearms. Guess I'm just one of those ppl that can't leave stuff alone. I normaly tare down every gun I buy some times before I even shoot it.

·
Registered
11,292 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts

I "inspect" it by ensuring it functions properly by shooting it often. It's pretty rare that frame parts require replacement anyway. If you like detail striping your frame often, more power too you, but it's far from necessary.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My XDS aint no range toy. I broke in my gun for hundreds of rounds using nothing but dirt. I also practice CCW in a field with very fine dirt. There was some hard packed crud everywhere in my gun. My extractor wasnt working as well and my chamber indicator was always in the up position. Trigger was very gritty. If course its all been cleaned out but never got to the mainspring. So i detail stripped it once so far.
And i dont soak the gun in acetone. Just the captive spring assembly.
Honestly i havent disassembled the xds enough, as its been very reliable

The 10/22 and any ruger da revolver are much harder imo to detail clean

·
Registered
937 Posts
I'd not detail strip a polymer gun on a regular basis I don't think their designed for it on a regular basis. Polymer safe gun scrubber is all you need. I detail strip my 1911 for cleaning once or twice a year but wouldn't do so with my XDs.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I'd not detail strip a polymer gun on a regular basis I don't think their designed for it on a regular basis. Polymer safe gun scrubber is all you need. I detail strip my 1911 for cleaning once or twice a year but wouldn't do so with my XDs.
It does not matter what you tell some people, they already have it in their mind that it's the right thing to do. There's a particular Glock armorer that frequents the local gun show I regularly attend, and he has a "show gun" used for demos that has had its frame pins removed and reinstalled so many times that they often fall completely out just from setting the gun down on a table...

·
Registered
7,531 Posts
Sorry if this is a repost, I dont own an ultrasonic cleaner, Ive been just shooting breakfree or carb cleaner onto, into it, as best as I can and relube it, but would like to know how to deep clean and scrub it.
My training guns lead the same type of hard life your does.

I just spray some carbon cleaner on it and wipe it down.

I replace it in 3K increments. This usually gets me through 5 to 6 single-day classes with a round count in the 500s (which, again, is par, these days). I'm typically very low-count at the range, when I'm working solo on my fundamentals, so this essentially translates to a replacement every season.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts