Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heh, I know, the title of this post seems contradictory. But, at least in MI, you can't carry in a list of different places. Bars, university classrooms / dormrooms, hospitals, etc. I work in a hospital, take night classes at a university, and I sometimes drop by the bar to catch a game on TV with some friends.

I'm waiting on my CPL right now, and I have not decided how often I am going to be carrying. If I decide to carry to / from work / school, I'm going to need a good way to store my XD. I was thinking about getting a small safe and bolting it inside the trunk of my car, and storing the gun in there while at work or class. Can anyone share some thoughts on that? Thanks. :D

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Life Jacket lockable pistol sleeve.

·
Banned
5,098 Posts
I use a Life Jacket too. It's fast, convenient, and fairly compact. Mine fits easily in my center console, so I don't have to walk outside the car to put it in the trunk. I don't consider it as protective as a safe; but it would take some time for someone to get into it. The odds are that they'd take the whole thing and break into it somewhere else, since they'd need some tools to do so. But it does what I need it to do for those situations where you are forced to leave it in the car.

·
Registered
85 Posts
i use a locking money bag(~$16).
its made of a thick nylon type material.
holds a 9 xd sub xml with 15 mag inserted and one 10 mag alongside.
the key can not get lost as you can only get the key out of the bag if the bag is locked.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I lock my carry gun under the back seat of my vehicle, which I have modified for that purpose.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I have the baby Stack-on safe($23.00) bolted under the back seat of my F-150 Supercab and a valet setting on the trunk of my car (Mercedes C-230) so it can't be opened without my key.

Lifejackets are great as long as they're bolted down, if not, the thief can take the whole enchilada home and take his time getting his new (your old) gun out of the device.

To get my gun when locked in the car trunk or truck is damn close to impossible without a serious amount of work and significant cutting tools, making it too much work for lazy thieves :wink:

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I leave mine at home when I go those places. If the gun is locked up it might as well not be there.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Waldo said:
I leave mine at home when I go those places. If the gun is locked up it might as well not be there.
My university is in the city with the highest crime rate in the county... so I would like to be able to carry when I am out and about in the area around my school. About once a year it seems someone gets murdered at the gas station just a stones throw down the road from my school. So, while it will be locked up while in class, I'd still like to have it with me when I'm not on campus.

skygun9, do you access the trunk safe via folding down back seat, or the normal trunk lid? I was thinking that facing a safe towards the back seat might be a better way of doing it, as I won't be as 'in the open' when transferring my XD to and from the safe. Any thoughts on that?

·
Registered
245 Posts
I recommend a Gun Vault. http://www.gunvault.com/

The reasons I use a Gun Vault:

1 - It allows quick access without a key using a keypad.
2 - A discharge will not penetrate the heavy metal walls.
3 - It's very tough to open for thieves.
4 - You can bolt it to the floor. (You don't have too.)
5 - There's enough room inside to put one XD40 with holster and at least two magizines including magazine holsters.

Also, I strongly recommend against leaving your firearm at home just because you may eventually walk into a a gun-free zone. I take mine everywhere. When I come to a gun-free zone (which is often) the firearm and ammo go in the Gun Vault until I'm back in the truck. Then I'm immediately re-armed.

- Mike

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
mcone, what's the price? The site doesn't have that info. It says, "coming soon." when going to the online store or "purchase" page. I saw one at a recent gun show, but I have forgotten the price. I know it's over $100. Thanks.

·
Registered
245 Posts
retired said:
mcone, what's the price? The site doesn't have that info. It says, "coming soon." when going to the online store or "purchase" page. I saw one at a recent gun show, but I have forgotten the price. I know it's over $100. Thanks.
The basic model can be purchased for $91 here:
http://www.wholesalehunter.com/product/gunvault/gunvault.htm
Total: $91 after shipping.

http://www.safetysafeguards.com/site/402168/product/33018
ADG Sports Secure Vault™ Electronic Top Load Pistol Safe
Total: $84 after shipping
Company web site: http://www.adgsports.com/SecureVault.html
This vault is larger in width and depth, but is only 3.5" in height. The fact that the lid pops up is good for me. I may try one to compare it to the GunVault.

The ownership of GunVault has changed hands, and so it is necessary to call the 800 number on their web site. Sometimes you have to leave a message, but they have always called back on the same day I left a message. 800 222-1055

·
Registered
71 Posts
mcone, what's the price?
There are two models...the GV1000 and GV2000...the 2000 being bigger. If you have a Sportsmans Warehouse near you...go there! I saw a GV1000 for like $69.99. Better to pick something like this up at a local shop cuz the shipping will probably be at least double any tax that you'll pay at the local shop.

·
Registered
245 Posts
reesegr said:
Also check this safe out! its more expesive but i like how it has a hydrolic opening system (opens on its own after code is entered). Its more expensive but I saw it at my local shop for 149.00

here's the link:
http://www.safetysafeguards.com/site/402168/product/SWV1/?referrer=google
Yes - That's very nice. The pistol is presented to you rather than digging for it in the GunVault. I thought that the S&W unit was much more than listed at this web site.

·
Registered
71 Posts
actually...on all the websites i found it more expensive (then tack on shipping!) than what i found it for at the local shop....$149.00.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Matt G,
My C-230 does not have the Ski pass through so I have to pull it out of my holster while seated in the car and kind of palm it or cover it till I get to the trunk. Drawing it from the holster in public is too much of a risk.

Now, your idea of a pass through to a trunk mounted safe is great, I'll have to consider that one before I buy my next car.

Good Luck & Good Shootin' :mrgreen:

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
It seems like everything in Ca. costs more. The more I think about it, the one at the gun show was $125 and it was the basic 1 gun model.

I have never heard of that store anywhere around me.

Thanks for all of the info.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts