• No round in the chamber (cocked)

• No round in the chamber (decocked)

• Snap cap in the chamber

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,267 Posts
ALWAYS keep one in the chamber.

Keeping a HD weapon without a round in the chamber is like keeping a smoke detector in your home without a battery. You don't want to add the battery
AFTER the fire starts.

Of course.................that's just my opinion. :)

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Can someone explain to me why you keep it "cocked" with nothing in the chamber?

·
Premium Member
127,435 Posts
"Locked and loaded"

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Some people don't like dry firing their guns and don't want to leave a snapcap in it.
I wouldn't like this topic to turn into "My way is better then yours" pissing contest. It's simply a survey, nothing else.
I no way trying to turn this into a pissing contest. I am simply trying to understand why someone would leave their firearm in this state. Why cock it in the first place? I am just trying to make sense of it and understand why 2 people have voted for this option. It is not "my way is better." It is a question to understand "why."

I certainly don't want to rain on Breadfan's parade, so if anyone would like to continue this conversation, please PM me.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Can someone explain to me why you keep it "cocked" with nothing in the chamber?
For the record, mine is chambered.

Leaving it cocked and unchambered doesn't hurt anything. You'd have to rack the slide either way. Leaving it cocked removes an unnecessary pull of the trigger, which would eliminate the chance of the gun actually not being unchambered and putting a round through the floor while uncocking it.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Fully charged. 1 in the tube, 12 in the mag (Cor-Bon pow'r-ball but probably gonna switch to Federal EFMJ's) and 2 fully charged backup mag's. Thank you for your support! :p :cool:

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I no way trying to turn this into a pissing contest. I am simply trying to understand why someone would leave their firearm in this state. Why cock it in the first place? I am just trying to make sense of it and understand why 2 people have voted for this option. It is not "my way is better." It is a question to understand "why."

I certainly don't want to rain on Breadfan's parade, so if anyone would like to continue this conversation, please PM me.
Well, I apologize. I just wanted to make sure this thing doesn't happen as I've seen lots of threads like these go crazy.

Anyway, I myself don't like dry firing the gun UNLESS there's a snapcap in it (for practice purposes) but I don't like doing it while fieldstripping it as well (even then I use a red plastic snapcap).

If I decide to leave it in condition 0 (empty chamber) I do so without the snapcap and therefore don't wanna pull the trigger with a risk of damaging the roll pin. I know you'll tell me it won't hurt the gun, but unlike most of you guys who can get the replacement pins in every gun store around the corner, it's a bit more complicated in my case and I'd have to travel straight to the factory and leave the gun there for repairs (and I'm not too crazy about it) as they don't sell those spare parts in my local gun shops.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Acually it depends on conditions. If I feel like a threat is possible, locked and loaded. If not no round chambered. I have grandkids around who have not yet been taught about guns.

·
Registered
184 Posts
ALWAYS keep one in the chamber.

Keeping a HD weapon without a round in the chamber is like keeping a smoke detector in your home without a battery. You don't want to add the battery
AFTER the fire starts.

Of course.................that's just my opinion. :)
LOL... that's a great analogy!

All of my handguns are kept with a round in the chamber. Even the ones that sit in the safe most of the time. I am single, live alone and there are rarely kids around... so no worries here.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Round in the chamber with a full mag! locked in my safe that is 6ft off the ground. Two year olds get into everything!

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
The bad guys have their weapons with one in the chamber, and so do I. They're not going to wait for you to rack the slide, so be prepared.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Some people don't like dry firing their guns and don't want to leave a snapcap in it.
I wouldn't like this topic to turn into "My way is better then yours" pissing contest. It's simply a survey, nothing else.
This is definitely the case with striker fired guns. Hammer fired guns you can just lower the hammer without releasing the firing pin. I, for one, have no problem dry firing my XD (I know many of you disagree). But it doesn't really matter because I ALWAYS have one in the chamber.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Locked, loaded and ready to rock and roll. Check the link in my signature.

·
Registered
156 Posts
A second or two can mean the difference between life and death. I always keep my XD45 Service "hot" with one in the chamber and holstered.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts