Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wanting to clean brass and might start tumbling. I would like to see your way that you clean your brass, thanks

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I found an online recipe using vinnegar, dish soap, and table salt. I mix it up in a 5gal bucket and soak the brass for a while then agitate it with a stick. Works pretty well, not showroom shinny like a tumbler, but plenty clean for target reloads.

·
Premium Member
128,168 Posts
Dillon tumbler, 1/2 corncob and 1/2 walnut

Reactions: fredj338

·
Registered
82 Posts
I just started reloading, picked up a small rock tumbler from Harbor Freight and 2lbs of stainless steel media from an online site, Lemi-Shine, SS media and Dawn dish soap worked great. The reason I went with wet tumbling was to keep the powder and lead dust from going airborne.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Frankford Arsenal Tumbler, FA Brass Case Polish and corn cob media.

Reactions: 6thMichCav

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Charmin....oh, wait. Sorry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: TucsonDirt

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Brass I just fired, that looks okay except for the powder residue goes through the vibratory cleaner with crushed walnut shells for 45 minutes to an hour.

I do some SS pin/water/lemishine cleaning, but only for really tarnished brass. The stuff that's almost black looking that you find hiding under some leaves at the range. I just wait till I get enough to make it worth it and segregate it so I don't get 9MM cases stuck in .40's or .40's stuck in .45's or .223's stuck in .40's, ect. Then I run it through the crushed walnut shells in the vibratory cleaner to dry it out good. Another 30 to 45 minutes usually does it.

·
Banned
20,016 Posts
Your not doing restoration work. Lyman tumbler, whichever media I have, and a squirt of Nu Finish.

·
Registered
22,575 Posts
RCBS vibratory cleaner & walnut shells.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
25 yr old Ultravibe & walnut or walnut/cob mix, a touch of nufinish. I have wet cleaned/ultrasonic, wet tumble/ss pins, I prefer dry vibrating tumbler, it's just easier & all I want is clean brass.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Frankford Tumbler, walnut media, and nufinish every 3 to 5 cycles.

Thought about wet tumbling but in the end as long as my dies stay clean that's all that matters.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Frankford tumbler, walnut (lizard bedding from a pet store), and some metal polish.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Frankford tumbler, walnut (lizard bedding from a pet store), and some metal polish.

Hey ryan, you still looking for some 223 powder? BulletStop had about 10lb of Reloader 15 at $30/lb. The only place I can find it cheaper is powder valley and they rarely ever have any in stock.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Hey ryan, you still looking for some 223 powder? BulletStop had about 10lb of Reloader 15 at $30/lb. The only place I can find it cheaper is powder valley and they rarely ever have any in stock.
I'm not particularly in a hurry to get some. I only have about 200 casings saved up and haven't even bought 223 dies. I shoot 9mm alot more, so that's been my main concern. If I'm around there sometime soon, I may swing by though. Thanks!

Reactions: taylorjr

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Werw you able to grab some Silhouette from Finley's?

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
No I didn't have a chance to run by there Wednesday. I might go by tomorrow and see what he has. I'm still looking for a few more pounds of pistol powder and a few thousand more small rifle and small pistol primers

·
Registered
48 Posts
I use a hornaday sonic cleaner with thier brass solution. Works great. If I want them to really shine I'll tumble them in lizard bedding (walnut media) and nu finish car polish. Also get the walnut media from the pet store, it's very affordable.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts