Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The title says it all. My CCW is an XDmc in a crossbreed supertuck at about 3:30. I've been thinking recently that if I needed to draw my weapon while I was in the car it would be slow and awkward. What do you guys do while driving? Do you leave it in the holster or do you lay it down next to you for quick/easy access? Also, if I take out my ccw and place it on my lap (or best case scenario I rig some type of a holster system next to my seat) wouldn't it be bad to leave the crossbreed st on my person without a gun in it for fear that the pressure will crack or ruin the kydex?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
877 Posts
I don't see the kydex cracking, or ruining, as long as it's not on the seat belt buckle. There's a few things you can do, if you choose to.

You can leave a "spare" holster in the door, keep in mind that it'll now be left hand draw. They also sell holsters and velcro that go up under the steering wheel on the dash. They aslo sell a belt that comes up between your legs, and it points at the floorboard in front of you.

·
Premium Member
8,923 Posts
I leave mine in the holster. I don't have holster problems then, I don't have to remember where I put it, I don't have to worry about leaving it in the car, and I don't have to re-holster every time I get out. If someone goes to carjack you, you should have to undo your seat belt anyway which is a reason to have your hand down there, but you should be able to ID a threat before they're threatening you at your window.

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
i carry at 5:30 and its comfortable while sitting in my cbst. im in my car or sitting down a fair amount of the time so it kind of dictated the positioning of the holster.

·
Registered
877 Posts
IMO, i'd get used to drawing while sitting. Never know when you are going to need that scenario. Try carrying it in a different position. SOB work better?

·
Registered
100 Posts
It might be a little slower, but apart from a carjacking when would you need to draw while in your car?
I would just leave it in your supertuck and perhaps practice drawing while sitting there.

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
I carry the same way I always do. 7:30 position, or 4:30 for you righties. It presses right on the meat of my back so it's not too uncomfortable. Sometimes I do have an imprint on my skin :p

·
Registered
603 Posts
It might be a little slower, but apart from a carjacking when would you need to draw while in your car?
I would just leave it in your supertuck and perhaps practice drawing while sitting there.
Massad Ayoob did a segment in one of his books on the hows and whys to draw while in your car and how to maneuver around your seatbelt. Definitely something that would take some practice!! But doable!

·
Premium Member
127,415 Posts
My .45 is carried strong side at 3:30, but I have a Ruger LCR .38 +P on my left ankle.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Putting the gun on the seat or under the seat is a distaster waiting to happen. Hit anything & you lose your gun quickly. A car holster is ok, but may be diff to get to. If carry in your conventional manner doesn't work, consider a crossdraw clip on holster. Take your gun out of your EDC rig & slide it into the crossdraw. Drawing from a strongside holster in a car just tales practice for most. Some really big/fat guys may have some issues, but it's mostly a comfort thing for me.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Like anything else, drawing while in your vehicle requires practice. Here's what I've practiced:

1. Unbuckle seat belt with left hand while shifting into park with right hand
2. Twist torso to the left
3. Draw weapon
4. Left hand goes to door handle

This progression leaves you in a position where you're armed and able to exit the vehicle without injury if necessary. Depending on the situation, you may want the vehicle to remain in gear allowing you to accelerate away from the situation if the opportunity arises.

As with most scenarios, situational awareness will go a long way toward avoiding an armed conflict. Follow good defensive driving tactics and keep your head on a swivel.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
I keep my center console empty and I keep the gun in there while I'm driving. My center console though is tall and not very big so the gun actually fits tight so it wont move, but can come out easily.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Where is your bug? One of the chief reasons that I chose ankle carry is that it allows rapid access while sitting.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Usually tucked in between thigh and center console, sometimes still sitting at 3:30-5:30, maybe even in door pocket near my left knee. All depends on what I'm wearing, which vehicle am I in, where am I going, etc.

Many options, many more pros and cons.

Just my .02

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I had heard that the kydex can break if you are wearing it with out a gun for a period of time. Is this untrue?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The reason I initially mentioned the kydex was because I remember reading somewhere (I think it was on this forum but of course I can't find it now) that you shouldn't wear the supertuck without your gun in it.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I bought a second CBST and contact-cemented it to a piece of plexiglas from the local hardward store. Bolted it to the front of the driver's seat. It's been there so long that the entry-exit routine is automatic. Sit down in the seat, take the weapon out of the IWB holster and put it in the seat holster. On exit, reverse the operation. Works great. On the rare occasion that I have to leave the weapon in the car (e.g., having lunch at my granddaughter's school) I lock the weapon in the center console.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
The reason I initially mentioned the kydex was because I remember reading somewhere (I think it was on this forum but of course I can't find it now) that you shouldn't wear the supertuck without your gun in it.
Lol I think I remember reading the same thread. For the love of God I can't find it now though.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Mine is like the first pic above, only I velcro'd it to my divider. Small car.
I like the 2nd pic, I might try that as well.
But I find the first pic is easy to conceal by just putting your knee to the right.
It's also less likely to cause a AD/ND when strapping in the seat belt and it's much easier to get to in an emergency and isn't going anywhere. Mine also uses a nylon holster with a spare mag pouch. My holster is sized to take any of my pistols. If I'm going on rough roads, I even have a thumb break if I want it.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts