Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd like to KNOW how it's done, I don't want somebody else to do it. I'm happy with how it is right now, I'm just curious.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Depends on the gun. On a 1911.....the sear is stoned at a certain angle with a back cut to eliminate creep and to make it a crisp break. The sear spring fingers are then adjusted....heh, bent to reduce the amount of pull (lbs) and make sure everything is engaging properly. The hammer hooks are filed/polished down to about .020, some go less than that. Usually a lighter mainspring is used.

For all of that...you need feeler gauges, ceramic stones in fine and extra fine, an india stone in medium, and the proper sear jig.

Basically on most guns....its stoning key components in the trigger system. Some gun springs are replaced, cut, bent, to aid in reducing pull. Not something for the amature to do really. You can screw stuff up real fast and make a "safe" gun really dangerous.

On an XD system I've never really taken mine apart to find out what they stoned. I had a trigger job done at SA while it was in for refinishing.....and its going out to be refinished again, this time at Macs....screw SA's crapastic finish. :shock:

·
Super Moderator
10,574 Posts
I would like to add on to the above post -

It takes many years of experience to acquire the
techniques in gunsmithing. That is why they are
called gunsmiths. Each machine requires a different
technique. That information is normally acquired
through trail and error, and passed down from a master
to a neophite who is in training. Some is written in
print, etc....1911s but that is about it.

Ed

·
Registered
7 Posts
under SAs warranty, i do not think i registered, i never fill out those stupid forms, i suppose i should. online do i register?

and as for what is covered under the warranty, can i send my slide back to get refinished as many times as i want for free? the warranty covers anything that breaks or that no longer works after a time period?

if i get my trigger done by cannon creek, can i adjust from 2-4 lbs by myself, or do i have to specify before hand? which would be the best? i would like to try some shooting competitions at purdue, and i am going to get my concealed as well.

thank you

·
Registered
277 Posts
one-eyed-fatman said:
Just go buy some nitrous oxide and breathe deeply. Your trigger will become instantly lighter.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
LOL, that'll do it. :p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts