Springfield XD Forum banner

How did you land on your XD?

5K views 64 replies 64 participants last post by  XD40Colorado 
#1 ·
I'm really kinda curious as to how others stumbled upon the XD. It was kind of an odd journey for me. It started as something OTHER than a search for a pistol.

As a side project, I've been developing my own composite body armor over the last several years. I've tested that armor against every round I can find a pistol for from .22LR all the way up to, and including, such monsters as 454 casull and 50AE. When I made the decision to purchase a carry weapon, I knew from my testing that I wanted a round that could split the difference between the penetrating power of 9mm+P and the just brutal stopping power of .45ACP. That pretty much makes it a choice between .40S&W and 10mm. I also knew that I needed something with a relatively shallow grip because I have pretty small hands. I had an opportunity to fire both rounds and, based on that, felt that 10mm might be hard for me to control. So I settled on .40S&W and started looking at various models.

I was initially not looking at the XD because everything I know about shooting I learned from the Marine Corps. That also means that I had inherited the Marine Corps' institutional antipathy towards anything that doesn't have an exposed hammer. Fortunately, during all the looking and asking and talking, I'd gotten to know a couple of the guys behind the counter very well and learned to trust their opinions a bit. One of them told me flat out that I had to at least give the Glock 23 a chance. So I took it out of the case and did a few blind lift exercises. Sure enough, it felt good in my hand and came up on target more naturally than any of the exposed hammer frames I'd been looking at. The other hammerless design they had was the XD. So I asked to see that one, too. In my hand, it did not come up on target quite as well as the 23. It was VERY close, though. I also felt that the XD had the superior trigger group and that the action was smoother. I also felt that overall fit and finish was better on the XD. The icing on the cake was the fact that the XD was significantly less expensive than the 23 (almost $100). So I chose the XD and THEN I learned about the lifetime warranty and the extra mags and whatnot.

I'm really sold on the product. That doesn't happen to me a lot.

So how did you land on yours?

See less See more
#2 ·
It was quite simple really. I went into the gun store set on buying either an XD or a Glock. Held both pistols, decided I liked the XD better. 10 minutes and some paperwork later and it was mine.

#5 ·
Been seeing the xd in riflemen for years so I knew about it a bit. Had done some research off and on so I knew I liked what I saw. Ended up doing a side by side with a Glock and just liked my xdmc .40 better. I have never been great with a pistol but first shot out of the chamber was a bulls eye at 20'.

#7 ·
It was quite simple really. I went into the gun store set on buying either an XD or a Glock. Held both pistols, decided I liked the XD better. 10 minutes and some paperwork later and it was mine.
I went to buy a Glock. I held it and hated it. The salesman handed me an XD45. It felt great and seemed to point naturally. I bought it and it shoots exactly where I point it. I will never get rid of it.

#8 ·
I started out with a used Glock 23, as my edc weapon, and when I wanted a home defense gun started looking for somethign with more capacity. At the time, the new XDM40 was the highest capacity, AND after shooting one, I found I shot the best groups ever - first time out of the box - with the "M" - It came home with me after that.

My G-23 will be on the sale block shortly to look for another XD... XDSC... or XDMc ... or AR... or AK... or something!!

:-D

#10 ·
I decided that I wanted to buy my first pistol. Luckily for me there was a range near me with a ton of guns you could shoot. I knew from my reading that I wanted either a Glock or XD in .40. My dad owned a Glock 9MM when I was a kid and liked it, so that was about the extent of what I knew. Went to the range and shot 50 rounds through both guns and the XD won hands down. Felt great in my hands and I shot better with it. So I bought my XD40 way back in the day. Still have it and shoot it weekly now, never failed me. I still suck at shooting though.

#11 ·
Well, I started reading forums, debating my choices, and narrowed it down to either an M9, a Glock, or Springfield. Then off to the range. Tried their Glocks, didn't care for the grip angle or the appearance. M9 felt like too much gun for the 9mm platform, and then I tried their XDsc 9, and loved it. Once I started in researching the SA brand heavily, I began leaning toward the XDm9c. Found a great deal at my LGS, and the rest is history.

#12 ·
Recently started shooting at the local indoor range and rented an XDm 9mm 3.8. Really enjoyed shooting that gun. I went home and did some reading online about the brand, it's safety features and reviews. Next time I went to the range, I rented the 4.5 model. I asked if they sell their rentals, which they did. I walked out with the paperwork as the new owner of that 4.5. I've sent about 300 rounds through it now, and it's just awesome!

#13 ·
I've never fallen (landed) on my gun ... But purchasing the XD did involve research !!!

And once I held one, I knew this was it ;)

#15 ·
I always thought the XD line was a simple knock-off of Glock but when my problematic G36 was too much of a pain, I started looking for a replacement. Wanted another compact to subcompact and decided to shoot an XD...had to have one and bought my XD9sc. Now have an XDc 45 as well. Great guns IMO.

#16 ·
Wanted a Glock while looking and searching, not having the money yet. Went to a few gun shows, picked up a Glock and HK side by side comparison. The HK felt much better but it was more, so I'll wait longer is what I thought. Then one day at work a couple of guys said this other guy was selling a XD but it was a 357sig, for 350.00. Did a little research, I re-load, so I bought it for 325.00. Since then, I got another XD45 and thinking about the XDM5.25 in 45 or another in 45xdm bi-tone TAC.

#18 ·
I love Taurus handguns and had a Taurus 24/7 Pro DS (.40S&W) that felt great in my hand, but wouldn't print well beyond a distance of 15 yards...that stinks when shooting IDPA-type matches with some friends. Found my XD at the local dealer and he made me a screaming deal that I couldn't refuse. The XD fits nearly as well as that Taurus but shoots a lot better. (I've shot lots of Taurus semiautos and found that you get a good one or you don't).

#19 ·
A friend of mine got an HS2000 and I always liked it. Was always a fan of Springfield Armory from the M1 days, so when they picked up and created the XD line it was meant to be. Started with an XD service, then added to the collection with the XD(M) handguns. Now I even have 4 HS2000 guns and even hate to guess how many XDs and XD(M)s I have.

#20 ·
Went out to buy a Ruger SR9 when they first came out, based on info from on-line sources. Went to the GS and tried it, plus Glock 19, S&W M&P9, Beretta PX4 Storm. The counter guy suggested I try an XD9 also, wasn't even on my radar, but once I felt it, decided to get it.

Still like to get a Ruger SR9 (probably LC9 or SR9c actually), don't really want any of the others. Still lovin' my XD9.

#21 ·
Wanted to buy a handgun...wanted a polymer. Went to LGS with range and rented an M&P, Glock, and an XD.

Groups with XD were half of the M&P and Glock and the XD was the only one that when I raised it to shoot, I didn't have to realign the sights with my grip

#22 ·
last year I did a little research, went to a few local gun stores, and kinda had in the back of my head an idea of what I wanted. I've been shooting a BHP for quite a few years now and knew it was time for an upgrade. So I wasn't ready yet to "pull the trigger" yet (pun intended har har) but my friend bought a glock. I shot it, it was ok, I hated the sights, but that's easily corrected. I just didn't like the feel. Also after seeing that dumb ATF agent shoot himself in the leg with a class full of kids, and I learned you have to pull the trigger to decock before a strip, that was a saftey violation in my mind and was an immediate dq for the glock.

Then my sis in law wanted to buy her first gun, told me what she had to spend and I told her she could get a good gun for the money. We hit the local gun store. She tried a few guns including the glock and M&P and I think a sig or two. None of them she liked. On the other side of the store they had the spring fields and I said, the XDM is good gun. She picked it up and immediately liked the feel and though she wanted the 2-tone she bought the black model 4.5". I got a chance to shoot it and it was at the time the most accurate out of the box pistol I've ever shot. I was ripping up the paper with a brand new gun I've never shot before and it was beautifully sighted in.

I was still in the market for a new gun, but hadn't had the money yet because I wanted to buy a shot gun, was starting a 2nd business, etc.. (life happens) I had my choice narrowed down to the M&P pro because I wanted to get into competition and really wanted something longer than 4.5". Also the front sight and trigger pull on the pro was a plus over the xdm 4.5. Sorry XDM, I thought, it was always in the back of my head a little buyers remorse even though I didn't buy the M&P yet.

Then my book keeper expressed an interest in buying a pistol, and I sold him my kel-tec p9. Well he fell in love with shooting, what sane person wouldn't. But he wanted some thing full size so to the gun store we went. He asked what he should get, we tried the usual, the unusual and then I pushed him towards the xdm. he liked the feel. A few days later he went in and bought it. Ooops, he got the 45 instead of the 9 he wanted. Upon pickup I went to the store with him and noticed his mistake. The gun store graciously allowed him (and me Yay!) to try for free their 45 and their 9 xdm models on the range, just pay for ammo. I loved both and was suprised how accurate the 45 was because I guess I am a ****, I really don't like a 45 acp, or so I thought. Anyways he settled on the 9mm and a few days later he had it and I won a bet that I could keep a 4" group at 50 feet with it.

So people asked me since I was XDM's #1 cheerleader why I didn't own one yet. I always answered I want something longer than the 4.5. I almost bought the m&p a couple times, but the price locally was high and I just didn't feel like going the gun broker route. Then I heard the XDM was releasing the 5.25" and I put aside all thoughts of picking up the M&P pro. Immediately I wanted the xdm 5.25. On a Saturday several weeks ago I went to two gun stores, because I wanted to touch feel smell and taste the gun before I made the purchase. I saw the M&P pro had dropped in price substantially, enough that I was confused again which to get. Well the next Saturday I reluctantly decided to pick up the M&P pro because it was $560 vs the XDM 5.25 which was $730. After doing the math I figured the M&P would be cheaper even after buying the holsters and extra mag. So I went to buy the M&P.

I guess it was fate that I bought the XDM because when I went to buy the M&P 9 pro, they sold it already and the clerk (whom I'd never seen before) at the gun store was telling me he could not sell it to me anyways because I was not LE. WTF? That's another story. I immediately went to the other gun store recognizing my destiny and bought the XDM 5.25! So why did I buy the XDM? The only answer I can come up with is Fate, it was meant to be.

Sorry for the long post, I guess I felt like typing
Either that or I'm in love

#23 ·
Ops Manager is an avid Walther collector. He literally has every gun they have ever made. The only hand gun he loved as much as his Walthers was an XD 40 sc. He traded it in for something and immediately regretted it. I did what any friend would do and went and bought it before he could, lol. He ribbed me for it but was happy to see it in familiar hands.

I eventually traded it in for a 40 tactical that I expect to die owning.

#24 ·
Went in to my LGS for a Glock 19. Held the XD9 4' and was sold instantly. Fit, finish, 3dots, EVERYTHING. When I went back to get my 2nd pistol I was set on a Glock 26. So I could have the best of both worlds, a Glock and an XD.....Got the the store, held the 26, they had a XD9 subcompact with trijicon night sights for 50$ more than the stock 26. Held it, loved it, could resist.

#25 ·
I was eyeing for a G19 at first at a local GS, but unfortunately was out of stock at the time, so i asked the owner what fa can he recommend for HD and range, sad to say that he convinced me on getting a Taurus PT809 instead, so i did, it was ok, but not very satisfied, so i said to myself that the next gun i will own will be based on research.So what i did was lurk on gun forums and ended up here, realizing that XDs and the HS line are one and the same except for the markings,also found out that there is a local distributor here so off i wen't, and test fired an HS9 service in their range allowing me only 5rds, but that sealed the deal, all 5 hitting the COM at 8yrds, and said to myself that this is it.;)

#26 ·
I decided to get a new pistol, I wanted a .40 compact and was considering the glock 23. I even joined the glock forum, but then I saw the Springfield ad in a gun magazine advertising the xdm compact in the .40 and knew that was the gun I wanted.
I googled the xdm and it led me to this forum. I joined and have been a member ever since.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.