Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm really kinda curious as to how others stumbled upon the XD. It was kind of an odd journey for me. It started as something OTHER than a search for a pistol.

As a side project, I've been developing my own composite body armor over the last several years. I've tested that armor against every round I can find a pistol for from .22LR all the way up to, and including, such monsters as 454 casull and 50AE. When I made the decision to purchase a carry weapon, I knew from my testing that I wanted a round that could split the difference between the penetrating power of 9mm+P and the just brutal stopping power of .45ACP. That pretty much makes it a choice between .40S&W and 10mm. I also knew that I needed something with a relatively shallow grip because I have pretty small hands. I had an opportunity to fire both rounds and, based on that, felt that 10mm might be hard for me to control. So I settled on .40S&W and started looking at various models.

I was initially not looking at the XD because everything I know about shooting I learned from the Marine Corps. That also means that I had inherited the Marine Corps' institutional antipathy towards anything that doesn't have an exposed hammer. Fortunately, during all the looking and asking and talking, I'd gotten to know a couple of the guys behind the counter very well and learned to trust their opinions a bit. One of them told me flat out that I had to at least give the Glock 23 a chance. So I took it out of the case and did a few blind lift exercises. Sure enough, it felt good in my hand and came up on target more naturally than any of the exposed hammer frames I'd been looking at. The other hammerless design they had was the XD. So I asked to see that one, too. In my hand, it did not come up on target quite as well as the 23. It was VERY close, though. I also felt that the XD had the superior trigger group and that the action was smoother. I also felt that overall fit and finish was better on the XD. The icing on the cake was the fact that the XD was significantly less expensive than the 23 (almost $100). So I chose the XD and THEN I learned about the lifetime warranty and the extra mags and whatnot.

I'm really sold on the product. That doesn't happen to me a lot.

So how did you land on yours?

·
Registered
559 Posts
It was quite simple really. I went into the gun store set on buying either an XD or a Glock. Held both pistols, decided I liked the XD better. 10 minutes and some paperwork later and it was mine.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Did a lot of research, but in the end thd XD just felt better to me.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Been seeing the xd in riflemen for years so I knew about it a bit. Had done some research off and on so I knew I liked what I saw. Ended up doing a side by side with a Glock and just liked my xdmc .40 better. I have never been great with a pistol but first shot out of the chamber was a bulls eye at 20'.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Hm, lemme think ... I was in the market for a CCW gun and looked at about everything Bud's Guns had listed. Liked the price and the starter gear kit on this one and have been very happy ever since.

·
Registered
165 Posts
It was quite simple really. I went into the gun store set on buying either an XD or a Glock. Held both pistols, decided I liked the XD better. 10 minutes and some paperwork later and it was mine.
I went to buy a Glock. I held it and hated it. The salesman handed me an XD45. It felt great and seemed to point naturally. I bought it and it shoots exactly where I point it. I will never get rid of it.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
I started out with a used Glock 23, as my edc weapon, and when I wanted a home defense gun started looking for somethign with more capacity. At the time, the new XDM40 was the highest capacity, AND after shooting one, I found I shot the best groups ever - first time out of the box - with the "M" - It came home with me after that.

My G-23 will be on the sale block shortly to look for another XD... XDSC... or XDMc ... or AR... or AK... or something!!

:-D

·
Registered
50 Posts
So there i was in Afghanistan when i met some Croatians. They came to shoot with use one day they shoot my 249 I shoot the xd9. I came back and that's what i got.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I decided that I wanted to buy my first pistol. Luckily for me there was a range near me with a ton of guns you could shoot. I knew from my reading that I wanted either a Glock or XD in .40. My dad owned a Glock 9MM when I was a kid and liked it, so that was about the extent of what I knew. Went to the range and shot 50 rounds through both guns and the XD won hands down. Felt great in my hands and I shot better with it. So I bought my XD40 way back in the day. Still have it and shoot it weekly now, never failed me. I still suck at shooting though.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Well, I started reading forums, debating my choices, and narrowed it down to either an M9, a Glock, or Springfield. Then off to the range. Tried their Glocks, didn't care for the grip angle or the appearance. M9 felt like too much gun for the 9mm platform, and then I tried their XDsc 9, and loved it. Once I started in researching the SA brand heavily, I began leaning toward the XDm9c. Found a great deal at my LGS, and the rest is history.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Recently started shooting at the local indoor range and rented an XDm 9mm 3.8. Really enjoyed shooting that gun. I went home and did some reading online about the brand, it's safety features and reviews. Next time I went to the range, I rented the 4.5 model. I asked if they sell their rentals, which they did. I walked out with the paperwork as the new owner of that 4.5. I've sent about 300 rounds through it now, and it's just awesome!

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
I've never fallen (landed) on my gun ... But purchasing the XD did involve research !!!

And once I held one, I knew this was it ;)

·
Registered
173 Posts
I had shot a few Glocks and then my friend bought an XD40. I tried it and liked it better.

The next day I had an XD40 for myself.. hah

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
I always thought the XD line was a simple knock-off of Glock but when my problematic G36 was too much of a pain, I started looking for a replacement. Wanted another compact to subcompact and decided to shoot an XD...had to have one and bought my XD9sc. Now have an XDc 45 as well. Great guns IMO.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Wanted a Glock while looking and searching, not having the money yet. Went to a few gun shows, picked up a Glock and HK side by side comparison. The HK felt much better but it was more, so I'll wait longer is what I thought. Then one day at work a couple of guys said this other guy was selling a XD but it was a 357sig, for 350.00. Did a little research, I re-load, so I bought it for 325.00. Since then, I got another XD45 and thinking about the XDM5.25 in 45 or another in 45xdm bi-tone TAC.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My dad has the XD in 9 and 45 so when I came across and ad in Armslist for a guy wanting to trade an XD40SC for a Ruger LCP I jumped on it. Have not looked back! By they way I am still a Glock guy!! :eek:) Now I am a Glock, Ruger, M&P, XD Guy!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I love Taurus handguns and had a Taurus 24/7 Pro DS (.40S&W) that felt great in my hand, but wouldn't print well beyond a distance of 15 yards...that stinks when shooting IDPA-type matches with some friends. Found my XD at the local dealer and he made me a screaming deal that I couldn't refuse. The XD fits nearly as well as that Taurus but shoots a lot better. (I've shot lots of Taurus semiautos and found that you get a good one or you don't).

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
A friend of mine got an HS2000 and I always liked it. Was always a fan of Springfield Armory from the M1 days, so when they picked up and created the XD line it was meant to be. Started with an XD service, then added to the collection with the XD(M) handguns. Now I even have 4 HS2000 guns and even hate to guess how many XDs and XD(M)s I have.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Went out to buy a Ruger SR9 when they first came out, based on info from on-line sources. Went to the GS and tried it, plus Glock 19, S&W M&P9, Beretta PX4 Storm. The counter guy suggested I try an XD9 also, wasn't even on my radar, but once I felt it, decided to get it.

Still like to get a Ruger SR9 (probably LC9 or SR9c actually), don't really want any of the others. Still lovin' my XD9.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts