Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few months ago I was searching the internet for nothing in particular and came across an article on the Son Tay Raid of 1970. The article had photos of the XM177E2 rifle issued to the raiders. I really like the way the rifle looked. The more I researched the more I found out. In the same article about the raid was a photo of the GAU-5/A/A rifle. That one had a slick side, no forward assist or deflector. The XM177E2 had just the forward assist. The XM177E2 was issued to the Army and the GAU-5/A/A to the Air Force raiders.

What I missed was the entire introduction of retro rifles in 2016 by Brownell's, Colt, Troy and others. Yeah, that's what I missed. With the scamdemic and riots drying up nearly all available guns and ammo I didn't find any of those two rifles that didn't have the asking price of nearly twice the retail price was 4 to 5 years ago. So I kept looking.

Then one day while shootin' at some....I found one online. The seller was asking price was a few hundred over the 2017 retail price. It was on consignment. The rifle had been up for sale for several months without serious buyers. I made a lowball offer and he took it. It was less than the original retail price.

Its a NIB Troy Industries XM177E2 with all the cool accessories, documents and manuals that originally came with the rifle. There were a few blemishes from handling and showing off to buddies. But not enough to dissuade me buying it. I'll post photos soon but for now here's a stock photo..

Air gun Machine gun Trigger Gun barrel Shotgun

·
Premium Member
128,253 Posts
I was a SpecOps team leader in Vietnam. A buddy of mine who served in country at the same time led the team in the adjoining district. We both carried the CAR-15. He was a member of the Son Tay raiding party. Operation Ivory Coast was a bust due to bad intel.

Reactions: MrBoxx and TSiWRX

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I always thought they were cool looking carbines.

My first AR15 is similar to the XM177 but with an A2 upper receiver.

Got the bug a couple years back for something similar in 9MM.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was a SpecOps team leader in Vietnam. A buddy of mine who served in country at the same time led the team in the adjoining district. We both carried the CAR-15. He was a member of the Son Tay raiding party. Operation Ivory Coast was a bust due to bad intel.
I heard that it was called a successful failure in that the raid was successful because there were no casualties and one helicopter that was purposely crash landed and no casualties and a failure in that the POWs were moved due to the camp was flooded and the water supply contaminated.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts