Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got a XDM elite precision 5.25 and it may be the best shooting polymer gun I have ever shot. I really like the trigger reach, the pull, sights etc.

Is the 3.8 14+1 model closer to a g26 or g19 in size? Or is it somewhere in between?

Also what is the best place to get the 20 or 22 round magazines at? Gunmagwarehouse and everywhere else I have been looking is out of stock.

·
Registered
7,108 Posts
In-between.

If you can rent an old XD Sub-Compact or a previous-generation 3.8 Compact, you would be able to get a comparable to near-exact (respectively) feel for the size and heft of the Elite 3.8 Compact. The slightly increased grip/magazine length of the Elite will push the gun slightly more towards the 19 in terms of that particular measurement, versus the 26.

I haven't yet had a chance to try the new Elite 3.8 Compact. As-such, my only worry is just how much the extra length at the grip - along with the magwell - may or may not affect concealment and the draw. Oftentimes, very, very small changes here can make big differences. However, this kind of thing also tends to be very individual-shooter related (for example, I carry my 9mm XDm 3.8 Compact with a +0 Pearce "pinky rest" baseplate installed, yet this does not create either concealment or draw issues for me).

If you intend to carry, I'd recommend that you give it a live-fire test with plenty of draw-strokes before you buy. While I personally feel that the G19's dimensions give it better overall balance, its grip/frame length makes it so that I could never quite get the gun to the depth of concealment that I like.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I carried a g19 for years and recently sold my last one. A g19 is concealable to me and I don’t care if I print some.

My EDC now is a g48, which I really like but my XDM Elite precision has me wanting another elite of some sort. I either want the elite compact or maybe just a 4.5.

·
Registered
7,108 Posts
^ I'm tracking. I think I understand where you're at. :)

The main attraction of the 3.8 Compact for me has been the ability to carry to the depth that I desire, while maintaining the ability to really increase ammo capacity upon the reload with the then "full-size" standard-capacity 19-round magazine.

The G26 would have arguably given me the same capability in an even more compact (that grip is even shorter) and perhaps also more robust (no magazine "sleeve" is required to stop the Glock's magazine from over-insertion) package, but I found the gun just a little too small for my capabilities at the time, so the 3.8 Compact was the compromise at which I arrived.

If the G19 is concealable for you, I really think that can well be your sweet-spot. With that in-mind, in your shoes, I'd definitely want to have a go, live-fire, at the 3.8 Elite Compact or the previous-generation 3.8 Compact - or at the very least the old XD SubCompact - before committing. What you've seen of the 5.25 may or may not "translate" as you start shrinking the physical package of the gun.

The 4.5-inch is a much larger gun, and is more comparable to the Glock 17.

Out of curiosity, what did you transition to for your concealed-carry as you gave up the G19? This may also help frame our further discussion.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I carry a Glock 48 99.9% of the time.

The G48 killed double stack Glocks for me. Yes it’s only 10 rounds but the grip and feel is just much much better for me.

The XDMs seem to have a much shorter trigger reach and less girth overall. I have had a love hate relationship with Glocks for years. I don’t shoot them that great (except the 48) but they lure me back in because of cheap magazines and plentiful accessories.

·
Registered
7,108 Posts
^ Yup. Mags and accessories are definitely not the XD-series' strong-point...at least not to-date.

I actually really love the little G43. If I hadn't had a little single-stacker already, I think I would have bought one. The little G43 fits me just right.

I can see myself liking the G48, too.

I haven't played with the Elites, yet. COVID's fallout (fiscal) made me take this year off from training, and it's also pushed me to self-enforced austerity (so no fun purchases, including guns). Speaking purely from the stand-point of the old XDms, I agree, the trigger path does seem shorter, with a break much closer to the frame. I am not sure of the actual measure of the XDm's frame girth versus their comparable double-stacked Glocks.

Towards that side of things, how do you feel about grip reductions and aftermarket triggers for your defensive handguns? My good buddy whom I shoot with has these comically short fingers for a guy his size...he does really well with the grip reduction from companies like Cold Bore Customs, paired with Overwatch triggers.

My 14-year-old daughter really loves the chunky Glocks. She shoots my Gen3 fairly well, but she really takes to the large backstap configuration on the Gen4. She's all of 5'4", but she's got hands and fingers like those face huggers from Alien....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts