Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I accidentally ordered the (9mm) 147gr federal hydra-shoks, and I can't return them. Is it ok to fire them? Every time I turn around theres someone saying to never use them. Is this because it is just a poor choice for self defence, or is it actually bad to use it mechanically?

·
Banned
11,479 Posts
Yes it's totally bad to use them. Send them to me right away so I can dispose of them properly. Or you could shoot the hell outta them and see for yourself. 147 grain probably shoot better from a short barrel. That's what DigMe says.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I hate them. Every time I use them in my gun and point it at something, whatever I shoot at dissapears. It doesn't matter how many times I point and click, whatever they're pointed at goes away.

I returned them to the range. 1 round at a time.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
They're fine. Many people dismiss 147gr out of ignorance because the first ones that came out were designed specifically for submachine guns. Now, however, the current 147 gr defensive offerings are typically quite good. Anyone who tells you that any 147gr bullets are not good is talking out of his rear. As the fat cyclops said the 147 gr bullets have a greater velocity window of expansion and are, therefore, a good choice for subcompact guns.

brad cook

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wow, I need to stop reading the internet so much.

thanks for the quick replies :D

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
147 gr is all I use now for 9mm.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I will gladly deposit them into our pistol bay berms for you.

No one should have this ammo, No One!!!!

No soup for you, send ammo to me, now!

·
Registered
398 Posts
I agree that 147's shoot better from a short barrel than lighter bullets from the same barrel. The most accurate round from my XD sub is the Winchester 147gr SXT.

The LEAST accurate from my XD is the Federal 127 HST. I'll swap you even 100 rounds of HST for 100 rounds of Hydrashoks. :wink:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ant said:
I accidentally ordered the (9mm) 147gr federal hydra-shoks, and I can't return them. Is it ok to fire them? Every time I turn around theres someone saying to never use them. Is this because it is just a poor choice for self defence, or is it actually bad to use it mechanically?
I don't know what you're reading or by who, but everything I see says the 147's are some of the top performers.

If I am using a 9mm for self-defense, it will either contain Spear Gold Dot 124 gr. +p's, or the same brand in 147 gr. flavor.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
what do you all think of this article?

http://www.chuckhawks.com/ammo_by_anonymous.htm

Now it is time to impart some crucial information: NEVER use 147 grain ammo in a 9mm pistol! There was a stupid fad for 147 grain hollowpoints a few years ago, and many were suckered into buying these weak, worthless and malfunction-prone rounds. I don't care what you've heard: never use any 9mm hollowpoint heavier than 125 grains. 147 grain hollowpoints often jam in many popular 9mm guns like the Browning Hi-Power, SIG, Beretta 92, S&W and Glock. Ignore the gun magazine hype and stick to what works. If you want to gamble, go to Reno. Don't gamble with your life. 147 grain ammo sucks.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Ant said:

Now it is time to impart some crucial information: NEVER use 147 grain ammo in a 9mm pistol! There was a stupid fad for 147 grain hollowpoints a few years ago, and many were suckered into buying these weak, worthless and malfunction-prone rounds. I don't care what you've heard: never use any 9mm hollowpoint heavier than 125 grains. 147 grain hollowpoints often jam in many popular 9mm guns like the Browning Hi-Power, SIG, Beretta 92, S&W and Glock. Ignore the gun magazine hype and stick to what works. If you want to gamble, go to Reno. Don't gamble with your life. 147 grain ammo sucks.
I'd think more of his opinion is he chose to identify himself, rather than remain Anonymous. In any event, the 147 grain probably is more prone to malfunctions than the lighter grains, simply because they tend be loaded right at maximum OAL, which is too long for some pistols. Just as 'Minimum" loads mights be ok for many pistols, they're not right for all and will cause malfs. One can say the same for "Maximum" loads. And, one can say the same for "maximum" OAL. In fact, some factory 147 grainers will work in some of my guns and not others. Best advice: always test self defene ammo in the gun you're going to use it in, because I've had 124/125 grain self defense malf is some of my guns as well!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ant said:

What do I thinK? I think that I've never had a malfunction with 147gr. ammo. It was all my dad's dept. issued for a while and they never had problems either. The only reason for dumping it was their switch to .45.

I see no reason not to use 147gr. ammo in this guy's argument other than that it jams. Since I find this to be untrue, I think this blurb, excerpt, etc., to be crap.

Believe what you want though.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Somebody obviously paid Chuck Hawks to say that and pump some other ammo. If you want Chuck to evaluate anything, he gets paid. Thus evaluations alwys go the way of who signs the check.

ranburr

·
Registered
302 Posts
I ordered 100 rounds of Silver Bear 147gr ammo and my XD9 didn't have a problem with them. I know it's only 100 rounds, but I've bought different ammo here and there and to see what it likes. My XD has eaten everything - Wolf, Silver Bear, WWB, UMC and some Speer Gold Dots (115 gr HP) without a hitch.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well I shot all the federal I had today, no fte, or ftf. Also found it to be a fairly accurate round for me. I would definately buy it again. I did like my 124gr +p Gold dots a little better though.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Modern 147 gr. 9mm loads such as the Winchester Ranger and the Golden Saber are excellent performing rounds. The 147 gr. rounds of twenty years ago were not very reliable expanders. After the F.B.I. criteria was established major bullet redesigns took place. Most of the better loads in medium to heavy weight in 9mm give excellent performance. Those quoting the ineffectivness of the heavier rounds are quoting old data or personal predjudice against the round.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts