Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
I just bought the Houge grip for my SC, I had to do alot of trimming on it and it looks sort of sloppy! Any Reccommendations on how to properly trim this to fit? I'm gonna go out and buy another!

·
Registered
101 Posts
The pachmayer should be a perfect fit for the SC.
I ordered one from ajames and its on the way if you like I can report back. I dont know the differences between the two grips but I do know the pachmayer is not supposed to require trimming...

·
Registered
885 Posts
Surgical said:
The pachmayer should be a perfect fit for the SC.
I ordered one from ajames and its on the way if you like I can report back. I dont know the differences between the two grips but I do know the pachmayer is not supposed to require trimming...
The Pachmayr only has one hump....providing two finger grooves.
The Hogue "Handall" is for full sized grips. It has two humps...providing three finger grooves. The Hogue will require trimming, the smaller Pachmayr will not.

Plain SC grip:

SC grip with Pachmayr sleeve:

SC grip with Hogue Handall trimmed to fit:

·
Registered
885 Posts
Surgical said:
Which did you like better? I would think the houge would be prone to tearing after cutting it .....with some use....
In all honesty...
the Hogue felt the best in my hand. It has palm swells (for lack of a better term) that thicken up the grip just a bit. It felt good in the hand, but for some odd reason, I couldn't shoot as accurately with it. No rips/tears after 3 or 4 range sessions,

Also odd... I liked the Pachmayr only slightly less than the Hogue, but I shot much better with it.

It's a very subjective thing.

On a personal note, I have replaced the sleeves with skateboard grip tape that I got from a skate shop & trimmed to fit.(Sorry, no pics yet) I did a complete grip-surround and I have found this to be the best option for me. The factory XD grip feels a bit slick for my liking. The rubber sleeves provided better grip than the factory (and I really liked the finger grooves), but they both added girth.

I was worried that the grip tape would be too abrasive, but after a recent trip, my worries were squashed. I put over 400 rounds downrange in a single session with no more wear to my palms than with the factory grip alone. I shot very well during my only two trips to the range with the grip tape. I think I have found the right choice for me.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Thanks for the info. I hope I like the pachmayer...I dont want to play musucal grips. I actually dont mind the factory grip but I just wanted a bit more to hang onto....
I'll have to try the houge though if I dont like it...good to know it wont rip!

·
Registered
885 Posts
Surgical said:
...good to know it wont rip!
Mine didn't.
I was carrying daily, and went through 2 of our monthly matches with it.
At the monthly match I was doing a lot of drawing & reholstering, swichting from strong-hand to weak-hand, rapid fire, tactical reloads, etc...
It underwent some pretty rigorous use.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts