Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After an incident last week I'm pondering a "hot" safe to keep a rifle and items ready to go. I already have a larger, "good" safe. This additional safe is primarily to keep something close by, and is needed given the grandchildren.

Anyone have any experiences with the Moulec brand? This safe seems to get good reviews on Amazon for what it is. Ramblings appreciated...

·
Registered
274 Posts
For something tucked around a corner that looks like it might work pretty well. Not fire rated but maybe it could be lined. Wonder if the guns come with it? Didn’t say not. :D

·
Registered
735 Posts
You seem to be rather shook up over little of nothing. Do you think a rifle would have helped you manage this trespasser any better. A firearm can certainly be an important part of any self defense system but running around loaded to bear, has some inherent handicaps for the lone individual if thing get up close and hands on. Not every situation is a rifle situation and not every minor infraction of the law allows for the use of firearms to manage it. I would slow down a hair in regards to throwing a bunch of guns at this problem. In every weapon retention training class that I have attended, the rifle was the easiest to lose and the easiest to take.

If you simply must stage weapon in varying levels of "readiness" or hot, cold, good, bad and frosty; I would get a security locker and be done with it.

On a side note, I wouldnt go running out of the house to confront a potential danger unless it was absolutely necessary. Lots of home invasions begin with getting the occupant of the home to come outside. I would not let this event turn me into a coiled spring.

·
Registered
355 Posts
That looks very similar to the one Harbor freight sells. I think it's the same price as when the HF goes on sale. My worry is trusting the cheap electronic lock.

I would check your local locksmiths or gun stores frequently for used safes. You'll eventually find a really nice safe for pennies on the dollar. Or if you find a cellphone store going out of business. They usually have a couple of double door commercial safes to sell.

If you need it now, I'd spring a couple hundred more for something from like tractor supply co, or sportsman warehouse.

I bought this one for my mother not too long ago. They didn't let me buy it when I walked in. Had to order it online, then pickup in person. It's much nicer overall than the HF safe.

·
Premium Member
3,830 Posts
Not a "Hot Safe", but some stuff stashed NOT IN OPEN SIGHT in the furthest point of retreat inside the house. This means past several choke points combined with lockable heavy doors. Locations known to us and nobody else. Quickly accessed. Nothing stashed just by the front or rear door where some bad guys can easily quick search and load up on your stuff.

That plus toughening up the outside doors and all of the windows there is not much we can do. If the bad guys want inside they will get inside. All we can do is legally and physically slow them down. Hope this situation never plays out.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Depending on how quickly you think you’ll need access, you may want to consider one of those Hornady Rapid safes that can either use RFID devices or digital codes. That or a biometric safe (make sure it has a keypad backup). I’m sure there’s a long gun safe out there with a simplex lock, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,259 Posts
I'm of the opinion that the lock should be mechanical and simple - Simplex, for example. All other considerations would be secondary.

It's not meant to be secured against actual theft ( unless that's what you meant by the grandkids! ;) ). For something that's small enough to easily be carted or even lifted away by one or two people (or, for example, the ShotLock AR Solo-Vault, which can essentially be leveraged or just ripped out of the wall), I would prefer the "safe" actually not being displayed outright - to at least hide it from sight.

As a deterrent mechanism against unauthorized access, all I need and want is just that: a visual deterrent - so that the firearm remains quick to access in emergency situations and under duress.

For (a) handgun(s), I would use the same considerations, a simple mechanical lock. I'd want the "safe's" internal dimensions to be big enough for me to store whatever handgun(s) I choose in a quickly don-able holster: this way, I can just reach in and go (without worry of potential interactions with the trigger). From there, either rip the holster off and engage or alternatively (and preferably) quickly clip-in the holstered weapon (even if you don't usually wear a belt around the house, there's now excellent hardware that can allow an IWB holster to gain secure purchase on the waistband; if your wife prefers dresses or other one-piece attire, this may need an extra bit of work....maybe an Unity/Vertex CLUTCH?...that would also have the ability to be staged with even more tools, provided that the "safe" has enogh interior volume).

·
Registered
208 Posts
Consider these two options OP in addition to a storage locker you can store either under your bed
, or very closely to your wall such as the hidden concealed shelves (see on youtube iraqveteran8888).

·
Registered
38 Posts
For quick access I use one of the hide away deals. Looks like a mirror and slides open. Good enough to keep things out of sight and to keep small hands off. I really like it. It's also where I put my CCW at night when I go to bed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts