Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been sitting on the fence about purchasing a XD9 or XD45 and I have a few concerns.
The first is about the striker retainer pin "problem" that gets posted from time to time. But after reading a lot of posts from you guys I've come to the conclusion that either you'll buy a gun where the pin never breaks or if you happen to buy one that the pin does break its easily replaceable. So that problem has been solved.

There's only one concern remaining... does anyone out there have problems with brass being ejected into your face?
My Generation 4 Glock 19 throws a lot of hot brass straight back into my face. My other model Glocks do not. So before I take the plunge into the wonderful world of XD-land, I want to know if this is a problem with XD's also.

Come on guys, be nice. No Glock jokes :)

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
How about the XD's? Any ejection problems with them? (not the XDm's)
NO !

And FWIW,
It is my understanding that brass ejection direction and distance is related to extractor tension and alignment.

I've got guns that toss forward, backward, and straight up.

Your Gen 4 Glock probably just needs an adjustment to the extractor.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
There's only one concern remaining... does anyone out there have problems with brass being ejected into your face?
Only problem is for the buxom beauty at your side when the brass makes it down between her clevage and brands her. There will be hell to pay.:shock:

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
Only problem is for the buxom beauty at your side when the brass makes it down between her clevage and brands her. There will be hell to pay.:shock:
That's what my P3-AT is for ... Straight up, straight down !!!
A slight tilt always works :D :twisted:

·
Registered
667 Posts
Now thats funny!!!:-o

·
Registered
463 Posts
I've shot just about every xd/xdm you can think of besides the compact models...I did have trouble with that once with a rental at the range but then I realized that the brass was just bouncing of the lane dividers and moving 8 inches to the left solved that little exorcise in stupidity :oops:

·
Registered
480 Posts
I have the XD9 Service model. Brass is consistently ejected out to the side (3 o'clock angle). Even if you limp wrist it will still eject the brass out to the side.

I have shot a Glock 19 Gen 3 and it seems to eject the brass more to the rear (4 - 5 o'clock angle).

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
like someone else said- the only time ive ever had the brass hit me is when it bounces off the lane divider and even then i think it usually only hits me waist down.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Hasn't been an issue with the XD Service, the XDsc, or my new XDMc.
The only one I've had come straight back was my old P-38.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
I've owned an xdsc40, xdm9 4.5, and an xdm40 4.5. Never once had brass hit me in the face and I'm a southpaw shooter. Buy with confidence as it shouldn't be a problem. I agree with the statement about the extractor needing adjusted. I've heard that more than any other possible reason for taking hot brass to the face.

·
Registered
602 Posts
The only ammo related issues you are likely to find with an XD is that XD45s do not like LSWC style bullets, and you typically have to full-length size reloaded range pick-up brass because the XD has a tighter chamber than some.

If you don't reload, neither will be much of an issue.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I've had my brass hit me square in the forehead, but it only happened once. I've put 2500 rounds through the gun, so it's definitely not normal for my gun. I've heard a few people on here mention they got hit with the brass, and it always seems to be some freak occurrence, not normal.

I have noticed though that my gun doesn't throw the brass very far. When watching a few videos that I have of myself shooting IPSC/IDPA, I noticed that it generally lands a few feet to my right. Other people's guns toss that shell like 20 feet.

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
I have one of the first XDs to hit the shelves and it has fired alot of ammo. Never had a round ever come near any person firing it have brass hit the face. The gun has fired so much it broke the original guide rod, yes broke it. The retainer pin is the original and it does not show any signs of abnormal wear. The majority of the ammo fired from it by my buddy that had it before me was mostly Fiocchi full power CIP spec ammo and I mostly shoot Geco, M882 and Fiocchi, and S&B full power ammo. The gun is a solid design. I would not worry about any of these 'problems' you read on the interwebs at all!

You will love the XD series of pistols. One of the best out there for what you pay for them.....

·
Registered
113 Posts
never in the face with my xdm compact 40. funny though every time i go to the range and i wear cargo shorts, one of two finds there way in the side cargo pocket.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts