1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
413 Posts
In Ohio we have a terrible notification requirement. This was originally posted on Ohioans For Concealed Carry's forums but thought some folks here would be interested as well.

Ohioans For Concealed Carry Discussion Forums • View topic - Encounter - bad, really bad

We are hoping to be able to view the video footage of this in the next week or two. When it becomes available I will pass along the link.
I was wondering if there was a law here for that. I am just wondering if I get pulled over in Florida if I have to give them cop my CWP and tell him that I have a gun or what. That is a horrible way to act as a police officer. I have had some bad run ins without a CWP, but I think it was my fault being that I was speeding. I hope that cop loses his job and is made an example of!

·
Registered
936 Posts
I was wondering if there was a law here for that. I am just wondering if I get pulled over in Florida if I have to give them cop my CWP and tell him that I have a gun or what. That is a horrible way to act as a police officer. I have had some bad run ins without a CWP, but I think it was my fault being that I was speeding. I hope that cop loses his job and is made an example of!
Its probably a good idea to let them know. Otherwise the Officer will probably assume that you shouldnt have it until you provide evidence otherwise and that might involve a quick trip to the ground and handcuffs. Check your laws.

Those Officers sound like they were way out of line.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope, you have no requirement to notify in FL according to Handgunlaw.us

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/florida.pdf

Hopefully, this case will help ours go away.

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
Wow!! :shock: Now we understand the saying of one or two bad apples. Now if this is really video reviewable, these idots should have their badges removed. What a disgrace to the LEO community.

I would be willing to bet a steak dinner that these are a couple of Hazzard Co. type, fat dounut eating pepper bellies, with a really bad flare up of SPS. (small penis syndrome)

·
Registered
413 Posts
Its probably a good idea to let them know. Otherwise the Officer will probably assume that you shouldnt have it until you provide evidence otherwise and that might involve a quick trip to the ground and handcuffs. Check your laws.

Those Officers sound like they were way out of line.
I figured just as much! I was going to hand them both license and CWP if I get pulled over! I would most likely tell them also! No need to get shot when legally practicing my 2nd amendment right!

·
Registered
101 Posts
In my CCW class in NC they told us when pulled over to roll the window down 1/2 way, keep both hands on the wheel and to inform the officer when they come to the window. While it may not be the law in your state, it's probably a pretty good procedure to follow.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
DUDE WTF.

How, in a just society ruled by god, can this happen? What the hell. I find a new reason to lose faith in everything, every day. =(

·
Registered
617 Posts
If that happened as said both LEO's should be fired and never allowed to work in that field again. I try to keep my distance from crooks and cops, sometimes they are one and the same.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
If you have a ccl and you are carrying ; you must notify the Leo here in Michigan when you are pulled over. However if you are not carrying, then you do not have to say anything.
However the smart money says tell the LEO if you are carrying or not. It can make life eaiser.

·
Registered
101 Posts
If you have a ccl and you are carrying ; you must notify the Leo here in Michigan when you are pulled over. However if you are not carrying, then you do not have to say anything.
However the smart money says tell the LEO if you are carrying or not. It can make life eaiser.
Yeah, my cop friends here in NC tell me that if you have a ccw it will come up on their computer when they pull you over, so they know before they even get up to your window. If you fail to tell them it's just one more charge they could lay on you if they have a bug up their a$$.

·
21,770 Posts
I would of told the cop to shut the F right back and explain that I have a gun.

·
Registered
321 Posts
IBTL

·
Premium Member
5,365 Posts
We have no obligation to notify and the Cops know it, so when you do they normally think to themselves this guy cares about my safety. When I wore the badge anyone who notified me got a have a good night from me.

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if the dashcam video was somehow "corrupted" or "lost."

·
Registered
413 Posts
We have no obligation to notify and the Cops know it, so when you do they normally think to themselves this guy cares about my safety. When I wore the badge anyone who notified me got a have a good night from me.
Now that is a good cop! Not cause you let them go, but because that is very professional. I hope that they will all act the way that you did. I think that I will tell them, just to be safe....it's not like I am telling the whole world. I think that the officer has a right to know so that he can feel safe. If he wants to make a big deal about it then I don't know what to tell him. I think that if I can get a license to carry that they should not have to worry about me being a criminal and doing anything stupid!

·
Registered
202 Posts
In NC its law that you have to notify them. If you don't you can lose your permit. Your permit here is tied to your registration so they already know when they pull you over and run your tags.

And to the OP, that was horrible. I'm sure they will get fired and criminal charges brought against them for threats. I would also say it's safe to assume a lawsuit as well.

·
Registered
486 Posts
He should just be thankful the cop didn't shoot him and leave him dead, and kept his A hole citizen mouth shut. I'm pretty sure police officers are so smart, skilled, and perfect, that they can legally make that judgement call if they want to.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts