Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my XDM 40S&W here a couple of weeks ago and came across this forum. Lots of gerat info here! I did a search on Hornady XTP and came up with 500 + threads.

I am looking at realoading some cost effective SHTF ammo (NOT CCW ammo) for my XD and was wondering what people's experience have been with them for expansion and penatration for vairous different loads? Also, I'm wondering about Berry's MFG and Nosler Hollow points if anyone has some insight on those. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Have no idea what you want from your SHTF ammo. Are you going to make +P+ ammo or what? If so, get a 10mm Auto at the very least.
Noslers are excellent. Rick folks use them in Bullseye competition.
Plated bullets are running about the same as Montant Gold, Zero Bullet, and Precision Delta jacketed bullets.
I will always take jacketed or cast lead over plated. YMMV.
Have fun supplying your "bug-out" bag and let us know how it goes. Try to be safe.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think that I want to mess around with +p+ rounds for now. I just want something that is going to be better than FMJ. I would make loads with Gold Dot hollow points, but they are just so expensive so I'm trying to find a nice alternative. I've heard mixed reports about Hornady XTPs that they don't expand as much as they aught to so I'm petitioning the forums for input.

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
I don't think that I want to mess around with +p+ rounds for now. I just want something that is going to be better than FMJ. I would make loads with Gold Dot hollow points, but they are just so expensive so I'm trying to find a nice alternative. I've heard mixed reports about Hornady XTPs that they don't expand as much as they aught to so I'm petitioning the forums for input.

The XTP works as it is designed to. Enough expansion without too much so you can retain a pistol projectiles best terminal characteristic, penetration.

XTP in any caliber is one of the best choices for any aplication for pistols. If I HAD to choose one projectile style and use no other the rest of my life it would be the XTP.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Boris thanks for the input. I just did up a couple of loads that were on the hotter end the other night, but haven't had a chance to test them out yet. Do you have any pet loads that you like in particular?

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
Boris thanks for the input. I just did up a couple of loads that were on the hotter end the other night, but haven't had a chance to test them out yet. Do you have any pet loads that you like in particular?

Sure do. Mostly for 9mm and I used CIP load data not SAAMI so my handloads were on the warm side. Google Lapua load data and you will find some warm loads with N105 and 3N38. I used Win 571 when they sold it and HS7 is the same powder.

Go to Brian Enos forums and search for 9mm major loads.

I have not and will not give out my load formulas, but the leads I gave will help you a good bit.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
The XTP is one of the better old designs, they just flat work. I wish they still made the 170gr XTP in 40, dropped it in favor of the 155gr. It wa a very good performer @ 1000fps. For me, doesn't get much better than WSF or Unique for accuracy & decent vel w/ susainable pressures in the 40.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Mountain Golds look interesting, anyone tried those?
A quick google did not show Mountain Gold. Did you mean Montana Gold? Montana Gold Bullet

I use Montana Gold 9mm 115gr FMJ - now into my third case of 4000 - all great. They do great on shipping, my orders Sunday night have been here Thursday, Friday at latest. I also like that shipping is included in their list prices, so you don't need to calculate all that to know what you're paying per bullet.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes. I did mean Montana Gold Bullet. Thank you for the for the correction. From what I was seeing on youtube, it didn't look like that they expand all that well. I'm excited to just get a couple of different type of hollow points and test my reloads.

Is it uncommon for people reload and stockpile for SHTF purposes?

·
Registered
802 Posts
Yes. I did mean Montana Gold Bullet. Thank you for the for the correction. From what I was seeing on youtube, it didn't look like that they expand all that well. I'm excited to just get a couple of different type of hollow points and test my reloads.

Giggle.......no. :) It's about shooting cheap for a long time.

For what you get for the price, XTP's are great.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts

MontanGOld is a great shooting bullet, as accurate as any Hornady or SIerra product, but they are NOT designed for consistant expansion. Sometimes they expand, sometimes they don't & sometimes the frag. Still better than a FMJ IMO, but barely.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.