Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a box of 25 of Hornady XTP HP 147gr 9mm ammo. I am going to use it in my Springfield XDm 5.25" competition series handgun. I cannot find anything about my handgun using the hornady ammo that I just bought. Does anyone have experience with this ammo? Any suggestion about not using it for home defense? Any comment/complaint/reccommendations/suggestions will help.. I know about several other brands and grains that I could have picked from. I was looking at the Guard Dog, Federal Hydro-shok, HST, Golden Saber and Speer, etc.. Plenty of choices.
Thanks.

·
Registered
931 Posts
you probably need to buy another box or 2.

need to run a few mags (minimum) through you gun to make sure it cycles well and shoots accurately.

I can't speak necessarily bad of XTP. I think it is an older model of bullet. Not the latest technology, but maybe not the best from the ballistics/expansion standpoint.

I choose Speer gold dots 147gr in my 9mm.

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
Hornady xtp bullets are good bullets and the design is tried and true.
I have taken several deer with the xtp loaded in 44 mag flavor. I’ve also loaded them in 9mm and 45acp with good success.

·
Registered
1 Posts
welll....I hate to break it to you, but most of us do spend money on 3-8 holsters in the search for the "best" one, which is subjective and personal to your body and pistol mechanics.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I carry Speer Gold Dot 147gr in my XDm 5.25 and 3.8 and XDs9 pistols. The round has low recoil and great penetration from the ballistic test I have seen. It feeds reliably in all three of the guns I carry it in.

Sorry I cant tell you anything about the Hornady brand 147gr. but I would expect it to function reliably based on the knowledge that my XDm's have been reliable with many different loads.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I carry 147 grain Black Talons in my 9mm. The current equivalent of that load is the Winchester Ranger T Series. Both function well with no problems and excellent accuracy.
I have Winchester Ranger T Series in my .45; also with no problems and great accuracy.

·
Registered
29,859 Posts
I carry 147 grain Black Talons in my 9mm. The current equivalent of that load is the Winchester Ranger T Series. Both function well with no problems and excellent accuracy.
I have Winchester Ranger T Series in my .45; also with no problems and great accuracy.
Actually, the Ranger-T is a vast improvement over its Black Talon predecessor.

Black Talons were terrible at expansion after pretty much any barrier, particularly heavy cloth.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I have my ruger lcrx loaded with underwood SD ammo. It uses that same projectile 147gr Hornady xtp. I did run a box of 25 thru my service XD it ran perfectly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts