Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone know anything good/bad about hornady's TAP personal defense ammo?

i cant tell, but it looks as if their casings are steel?

i'm looking for some PD ammo for my 1911, i'm thinking of going with federal or hornady. anything good or bad about those two?

i dont like nickle cased ammo... they dent to easy. what do you guys use in your .45s?

P.S. i dont really care about the hype for "maximum penetration", and "maximum expansion"... i just want to make sure it wont go strait through the guy and kill someone on the other side.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The casings of the Hornady TAP ammo are black nickel coated casings and are completely reloadable. The security company I work for has been using it in 9mm, .40, and .45 for our last 3 month stint in the sandbox. It, like all Hornady ammunition is top notch and I like it. The bullet is an XTP like the other Hornady Personal Protection ammo. Other than the casings I do not notice a difference in the pistol ammo. Now the 5.56 ammo is a whole different story. There is a NOTICABLE decrease in muzzle flash when compared to other premium 5.56 ammo and is also incredibly clean leaving substantially less unburned powder in the gun. Hope this helps.

-Tuesday

·
Registered
398 Posts
What made you choose the TAP over other 45acp ammo? I am just curious.

What do I use? Winchester Ranger 230gr +P. It's the same bullet as the old "Black Talon" ammo but they did away with the black coating. This is the most consistantly accurate ammunition I have ever fired from a 1911.
It's hot stuff too and has been 100% reliable in my CCW.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
therooster said:
P.S. i dont really care about the hype for "maximum penetration", and "maximum expansion"... i just want to make sure it wont go strait through the guy and kill someone on the other side.
WWB, UMC, PMC, Blazer, Lawman whatever.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Although excellent ammo for reliability and accuracy Hornady ammo is known for focusing more on penetration and less on expansion. They make first rate hunting ammo. But if your concearned about overpenetration I wouldn't use a bullet specfically designed for penetration.

·
Registered
6 Posts
We chose TAP based on an in-house test that included Hornady, Corbon, Winchester, and Federal. The Hornady proved to be the most accurate, reliable, and clean of those tested in 9mm, .40SW, and .45 ACP. Clean was the tie breaker between the Win and the Horndady TAP. This may seem like something small, but there is already enough dirt where our guns are being used we dont want anymore than is neccessary from the ammo. To my knowledge We have yet to have any problems with over penetration from the Hornady TAP although we may just have been lucky to this point.

-Tuesday

1 - 8 of 8 Posts