Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm heading toward buying a progressive press, and the best bang for the buck seems to me to be the Hornady Lock 'n' Load progressive.

I note on the Midway site that one still needs to buy the "easy access shellplate" and "shellholders."

Can someone explain why you need both? How many shellholders do you need? Five, one for each station? And why the easy access shellplate?

Anything else you'd recommend for the Lock 'n' load? I have most of the normal stuff, scale, hand priming tool, and dies.

TIA!

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Shell plate for the AP. Shellholder for the Single stage.

The shellplate(s) and dies are all you need that isn't included in the kit.

·
Premium Member
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shell plate for the AP. Shellholder for the Single stage.

The shellplate(s) and dies are all you need that isn't included in the kit.
Thanks--that's what didn't make sense to me. The Midway site says you need both, and I couldn't figure out why you'd also need shellholders.

The answer is, you don't!

And that cuts the cost a bit more.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
I'm loading up some 9mm today. I got a new case feeder which really speeds things up. Now I have to get all this brass sorted and cleaned, because it is by far the slowest part of the process now.

·
Premium Member
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm loading up some 9mm today. I got a new case feeder which really speeds things up. Now I have to get all this brass sorted and cleaned, because it is by far the slowest part of the process now.
How much difference have you found the sorting of brass to make? I've been sorting by headstamp (all of it's once-fired), but I'm not sure how much difference it makes. Do you just load by headstamp, making up boxes all of the same stamp?

Or is there something else going on I'm not aware of (there might be tons of stuff I'm not aware of :).

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
When/if you can afford it ... Get a shellplate for each caliber ... Then you can just leave stuff setup and adjusted as you switch between calibers.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
I just sort by caliber. Headstamp makes no difference to me as I am loading practice ammo.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts