Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to get into reloading but have hit a snag choosing all the equipment involved. I have decided on the Hornady LNLb progressive press but would like to buy the press and ALL the supporting equipment at the same time. I have researched press kits and all of them seem to include low quality or don't include peripherals such as the scales, I want GOOD digital scales, cheap micrometers, if at all,(a $20.00 mic is not adequate), case cleaner with medium, oneshot dry lube degreaser to setup the new press, along with a set of dies including a factory crimp and powder cop or lockout die for choosen caliber. Of course primer trays, loading block,and storage boxes with labels and at least one big complete manual,two would be better. Lastly why don't the major press manufacturers make a simple shell feed system that works with gravity instead of 120vac and cost 2/3 the price of the darn press! (Lee?) I feel that Hornady, Dillion and RCBS could all put together a top tier all inclusive package and then price it accordingly but fairly for the person who doesn't want to have to "upgrade" soon after learning how to reload let alone wade through the huge array of equipment. .
Whadda ya think...?Thanks for letting me vent.

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
ive always used a single stage press..the progressives if 1 stage goes wrong.. usually all stages will go wrong. I have high end stuff mixed with low end stuff.. it all depends on your taste and what your looking to do. Id seriously think of getting a single stage or a turret press untill your comfortable with each reloading step.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I am actually opposed to most kits as gear varies from manuf to manuf & buying separate allows you to mix & match & get what works for you. Example, I am not a fan of dig calipers, prefer ss dial. Some guys like to wet clean brass, some tumble, some want a dig scale, some are fine w/ a beam. SOme guys don't want a lock-out die but a COP, etc.
You do NOT need a loading block w/ a progressive press. Some guys like to bulk pack ammo & some like to use 50rd boxes while others 100r boxes. Buying your gear separate may cost a tiny bit more but you will get what you want & nothing you don't. As far as case feeders go, you do NOT need an elec feed, it's just easier. You can workup a system to tube feed a LNL or 650, but why? I used my 650 for as couple months before gettign the case feeder. You can stack 20rd in the tube & load that & replenish as they get low, but again, why? if th epower is out, I can still reload on the 650. My 550, no case feeder need nor wanted. I still can easily get 450rds/hr sustained. There is no "upgrading" if you think thru your purchase & buy quality gear up front. You may change this or that small item, but that is back to personal pref.

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
/\ as usual Fred speaks with wisdom about reloading :)

I started with used gear from Craigslist, first single stage, bought stuff as I learned and so knew what I needed. Already had all the necessary stuff when grabbed a LNL AP on sale at Cabela's. A kit would not have been any use to me at that point.

One suggestion for OP - you mentioned case feeder. I still see no need. Maybe on the top of line Dillon that runs that fast, but on LNL AP, my left hand with bullets and cases pretty much keeps pace with my right hand.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thankyou for the thoughtful replies. You've given me a perspective I hadn't looked at. Buying seperately certainly has it's advantages, guess I was looking for convience more than anything else but you bring very good points to the table. Case feeder? guess I'll start out doing it one at a time, probably gonna be plenty good enough for now. Will re-evaluate my thinking before I jump in with both feet. Many thanks.
Jerry

1 - 6 of 6 Posts