Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just learned about the Hornady Critical Defense ammunition. It looks like a great round for home defense. Not +P high velocity round, nor "targeted" at penetrating windshields or sheet metal, but at home (pun somewhat intended) in short range interdiction expected inside a house or apartment. I especially like the rubber medium filling the HP cavity similar to Power Ball ammo. No clogging and apparantly reliable expansion. So, hopefully, should the round miss or pass through the intended target in a home defense situation the round will expand on impact with a framing stud or similar structure after passing through drywall material instead of imitating an FMJ.

I'm not a Hornady salesman. I am just excited because I have my sights on an XD45 Tactical for home defense and target range.

Poor expansion and overpenetration in an drywall rich environment with neighbors close by has been one of my concerns. From the video on the Hornady website it looks like adequate penetration is still achieved once the round impacts its target so under penetration doesn't seem to be a problem either. I hope they come out with a 230 grain 45 ACP round soon, and that Hawaii doesn't restrict sales for this ammo to LE use only.

I'm kind of new to SD firearms having shot primarily rifles for target shooting purposes only so my conclusions may be completely off, but this ammo seems to fit a home owner's/defender's ticket.

Constructive comments, responses, critiques, and suggestions welcomed.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I saw this on the hornady website a few days ago. It has me intrigued for sure. I use hornady tap as my personal defense round, and have used the regular hornady jhp in the past. I have also used the hornady lever evolution. Needless to say I'm a big fan of hornady ammo.

Right now, I think hornady only has the critical defense ammo for smaller, lighter calibers. When I watched the ad video on the hornady website, they said it was for small calibers like .380, .38 spl, 9mm, etc. Not available in .45 auto yet.

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
I wouldn't expect it to act much different then a standard JHP in terms of penetrating non-targets. Remember it's designed to expand in flesh, not a chunk of wood.

Also, get the "over penetration" issue out of your mind. All it will do is make you compromise in selecting your ammo, and you'll end up with a cartridge not suitable for stopping a threat.

Not saying the Hornady stuff is bad, though. Looks decent for a pocket pistol application.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Don't look for interior walls to stop a bullet of any construction either. Embarrassing to admit, but I had overdone an action job on one of my XD's and it went off when I slammed a full magazine in to load it. The slide bounced shut from the force of seating the magazine and both the trigger safety and the "lemon squeezer" grip safety proved to have been disabled. The 9mm Gold Dot hollow point went through a clipboard hanging on my office wall, both sides of the drywall, a coatrack, several garments on the coatrack and the next wall, stopping only after it went into a double framed window and embedded in the heavy wood. The multiple layers of drywall didn't even slow it down and wood studs are literally few and far between. In the average apartment building, it would be far too easy to hit someone multiple apartments away. I had gotten complacent and careless and was lucky no one was hit. Now I test my safeties after doing any work on any of my guns and pay attention to where the muzzle is pointing, especially when loading and unloading.

·
Premium Member
9,097 Posts
Use a .223 for less penetration. Handgun rounds will penetrate much further than a .223 rifle round.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Nope. Not kidding. .223 will penetrate less than a hand gun caliber will.

223 for CQB
Interesting reading. I have done penetration tests myself on pretty much everything I have ever shot. The only thing I had to use was wet newsprint. Now I know that it is not the same as "real world" shootings, but the .223 penetrated more than twice as far as any .357, 9mm, or .45acp.
Also, even if you take it at face value, it still would not apply to the amount of penetration between the two in the case of a miss.

·
Premium Member
9,097 Posts
Interesting reading. I have done penetration tests myself on pretty much everything I have ever shot. The only thing I had to use was wet newsprint. Now I know that it is not the same as "real world" shootings, but the .223 penetrated more than twice as far as any .357, 9mm, or .45acp.
Also, even if you take it at face value, it still would not apply to the amount of penetration between the two in the case of a miss.
I was talking about a miss. :cool:

THR - View Single Post - "Overpenetration" and rifle rounds--the myth that won't die

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
i checked my local shop the other day and they do not have the new Hornady ammo yet. I was hoping to get some .380 for my Kel-tec and 9mm for my P6.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Federal's expanding full metal jacket (EFMJ) PD rounds are designed to do just what you are talking about. The The 124-gr. 9mm rounds have gotten particularly good reviews for consistent expansion while avoiding overpenetration.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Federal's expanding full metal jacket (EFMJ) PD rounds are designed to do just what you are talking about. The The 124-gr. 9mm rounds have gotten particularly good reviews for consistent expansion while avoiding overpenetration.
I have tried Federal's EFMJ in the 9mm, 105gr. load. It is without a doubt the most inaccurate ammo of any caliber that I have shot. Maybe due to the light weight? I haven't seen the 124 gr. load. I'd like to try it.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Not to add more fuel to the fire, but here is a pretty reproducible test that was done with different handgun and rifle calibers.

The Box O' Truth #1 - The Original Box O' Truth - Page 1

Summary of penetration : All rounds went through drywall like butter

.45 - 7 pine boards
9mm - 8 pine boards
.223 - 12 pine boards

Don't really see how a .223 could have less penetration than a handgun during close quartes combat :?

They have lots of other cool tests on the site that they ran, such as if you can shoot a padlock open in real life. 12 ga shotgun FTW!

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Not to add more fuel to the fire, but here is a pretty reproducible test that was done with different handgun and rifle calibers.

The Box O' Truth #1 - The Original Box O' Truth - Page 1

Summary of penetration : All rounds went through drywall like butter

.45 - 7 pine boards
9mm - 8 pine boards
.223 - 12 pine boards

Don't really see how a .223 could have less penetration than a handgun during close quartes combat :?

They have lots of other cool tests on the site that they ran, such as if you can shoot a padlock open in real life. 12 ga shotgun FTW!
With the green tip military ammo, the .223 will tumble inside its target and then fragment.

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
I have tried Federal's EFMJ in the 9mm, 105gr. load. It is without a doubt the most inaccurate ammo of any caliber that I have shot. Maybe due to the light weight? I haven't seen the 124 gr. load. I'd like to try it.
They are dead accurate in my .45 ACP XD-45 Compact. I have posted some PIX somewhere on the system. That's the 200 gr. LE round.
;););)

·
Registered
357 Posts
With the green tip military ammo, the .223 will tumble inside its target and then fragment.
That has nothing to do with the ammunition. This dates back to when the M16 was first used in Vietnam. It was developed with a slow twist rate, which caused the bullet to not stablize, which caused it to tumble.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts