Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my old 17" CRT finally pissed me off in the middle of a project. One round at 5 yards and................Nothing. I guess it did it's job, there appears to be a "massive wound cavity" in there. That glass tube must be thick as $hit in there. Still cant believe it didnt exit.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
yea that glass is VERY thick i was really surprised the first time i broke one open

·
Registered
764 Posts
I've shot 2 CRT monitors, both 19" and each had glass over 1.5" thick!!

One was shot with a 12 gauge 1oz slug-didnt exit

Another with a FMJ .223-didnt exit-then shot it with 12 gauge 00 buck-didnt exit
Followed it up with a FMJ .223 to the top corner-it did exit, but the glass was very fragile from the 00 buck making a mess of it.

Man, shooting computer monitors sounds so damn trailer trash :)

·
Premium Member
20,508 Posts
I've shot 2 CRT monitors, both 19" and each had glass over 1.5" thick!!

One was shot with a 12 gauge 1oz slug-didnt exit

Another with a FMJ .223-didnt exit-then shot it with 12 gauge 00 buck-didnt exit
Followed it up with a FMJ .223 to the top corner-it did exit, but the glass was very fragile from the 00 buck making a mess of it.

Man, shooting computer monitors sounds so damn trailer trash :)
it does sound trashy but its damn fun. i cant just walk out back and shoot something where i live so i just use a bat and its damn fun.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Glass can be tough to shoot through...

There was an episode of Myth Busters were they tried to duplicate White Feather's (Viet Nam era US sniper) shot that killed a sniper that was stalking him. The legend goes that White Feather shot at a glint of light and when he investigated he found the BG sniper dead and that his shot had gone through the BG's scope. That is, WF shot only moments before he'd have been killed by the BG sniper.

Anyway, Myth Buster tried to duplicate this shot and could not get the bullet the go through the scope. Everytime the bullet was stopped by one of the several lens elements. At first they were using more modern scopes with more lens elements and thicker glass but they later located period accurate scopes of the kind the VC/NVA would have used and I believe they were finaly able to duplicate the shot.

But, the bottom line is, glass is tough on bullets!

Brian

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
That so reminds me of Office Space and the fax machine/copier they destroyed mafia style in the woods. lol

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Note to self...if computer monitors attack...go for the SS109 and NOT the 60gr TAP ammo!! ;)

I'd say the TAP did its job exit wound or not!! That monitor won't soon forget who it pi$$ed off!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not trailer trash but log cabin trash :)

Well guys, I saved the monitor. Im really want to try a .308 from my Springfield or some Green Tip steel core 5.56, bet it aint stopping that.

And by the way, I happened to be at my folks rural home doing some work there when that monitor took a dirt nap, no one around for 4 miles.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Note to self...if computer monitors attack...go for the SS109 and NOT the 60gr TAP ammo!! ;)

I'd say the TAP did its job exit wound or not!! That monitor won't soon forget who it pi$$ed off!
You beat me to it!! Exactly what I was thinking.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I blew up an old computer monitor with a very large firework once . Vaporized it. No piece bigger than 3" other than the metal circuit mountings.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts