Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My local fun store recommended the Hornady 115gr XTP 9mm for the carry round in my XDM 9 4.5. On a different thread there was discussion about making sure the rounds work in all the magazines and the pistol, so today at the range I loaded up every magazine and tested them out.

One, they were more accurate than the PMC 115gr FMJ's I've been practicing with. The shot pattern was vertical on the target but only about 4" wide.

Second, with a 19 round magazine (and I have 4 of them) its an expensive proposition. They are $0.66 per round so a full load cost $50.82 (19*4 + 1 in the pipe = 77 rounds).

So, anyway, they fed through my XDm with no problems, but I have yet to have a single FTE, FTF, FTL, F?? of any kind with any 9mm that I've tried.

·
Registered
29,595 Posts
I'd recommend that you go with a slightly heavier XTP--say, a 125gr...

However, if one is going to use a standard-type 115gr JHP, the XTP is one of the better ones. It doesn't expand as much as others, but it tends to punch deep.

Good on you for proofing a load first, though.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I'm not sure what you saying here, $.66 a rnd for Hornady XTP is a pretty good price compared to where i live. The XTP has been around around a while and is a good round. I prefer it in 124gr and 147gr offerings. I also like it from Fiocchi and Black Hills(they offer it in 50 rnd boxes and some +p forms).

It the XTP bullet saves your life or a loved one, it will then become priceless to you IMHO. Stay Safe.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Yeah, hurts now, but would hurt a lot more later if you get a FTF during a gunfight.
I am w/ Cuda, not a fan of 115gr loads, especially non +P, so I lean to the 124gr+P. BlackHills loads the 124grXTP to a very fast 1250fps in their +P loads. It's what I carry in my G26, still going 1220fps. It doesn;t have a huge frontal area, but @ 60cal+ w/ that much vel, it penetrates deep.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I love this forum! I'll ask the guys at the store about the heavier grain options. I'm sure they carry it. I wasn't saying that .66 was a bad price, I was just commenting that by the time you get 77 rounds loaded up I've got more than $50 worth of ammo on my belt. Which also gives me some respect for LEO's and that they don't lose their britches with that much weight on the belt. I think I'd have to resort to suspenders...

·
Registered
29,595 Posts
FWIW, Fiocchi loads XTP bullets in their Extrema line, and it's usally the same price for 50 rounds as Hornady charges for 20. Or, as Fred said, Black Hills is another excellent choice.

Available lots of places online.

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
FWIW, Fiocchi loads XTP bullets in their Extrema line, and it's usally the same price for 50 rounds as Hornady charges for 20. Or, as Fred said, Black Hills is another excellent choice.

Available lots of places online.
Thats what I use. The ammo is of great quality too and it has a tad bit more oompf behind it than the Hornady factory ammo. One thing you need to watch is they load them a little longer OAL and in some guns the projectile will contact the lands and lock the gun up tight. Only way to clear it is to shoot the round. I had a CZ75 that had a short leade, It didnt like the longer OAL of the 147 load. SIGs Glocks and XDs seem to be fine though. I heard a few other reports of other pistols. Ya just gotta check to make sure it works good in your gun before you use them. The good news is the 124s do not seem to have the same problem........

1 - 8 of 8 Posts