Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon,
I am a new gun owner and purchased my XD-9 a few days ago. I went through about 200 rounds and figured I should learn how to clean it. I purchased a Hoppe's Pistol cleaning kit and the appropriate sized brush.

It seems the solvent took off some of the black finish on the outside of the barrel. Is this normal? None of the guides I read mentioned to keep the solvent only inside the barrel, or did I just mess up?

The black finish on the barrel now has nasty "swirl" patterns.

I searched but was unable to locate an answer to my specific question, sorry if I missed something.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Did you scrub the outside of the barrel with the bronze brush? Hoppe's doesn't damage the finish.

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
I think youre talking about the "smileys" on the outside of the barrel????

completely normal. caused by the movement of the slide during firing

....ive been using hoppes for years on every make and model of gun without a problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. :)

It could be normal and I would not know, this is my first handgun. :mrgreen:

I was wiping the outside of the barrel with rag and solvent when i noticed a lot of black on the rag and then swirls in the finish. I assumed i was taking the finish off.

So its safe to use the solvent to clean the slide? If any gets on the outside it shouldn't take rub off the finish?

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Yep it's safe, be black you were seeing is powder residue. I dip a tooth brush in Hoppe's and scrub the frame and slide with it then wipe it down with a cloth.

·
Registered
19 Posts
You should not have hurt the gun in any way using the solvent.All you need to do is wipe a little solvent on the gun using a soft rag and then wipe clean with a dry rag.The solvent will remove finger print smudges and old oil.Just wipe the outside down with a lightly oiled rag to aid in rust prevention.Don't use a brush on the outside as that could remove some bluing.My guess is that if you wipe down the outside of the gun with the oily rag,that the swirls will disappear.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys,
Yah the swirls were on the barrels itself. I must have not noticed them before I started cleaning, or the gun powder covered them up. I noticed the swirls are in a distinct pattern and stop and start on a straight line, nothing to do with the solvent.

I went ahead and cleaned/oilded the rest of the gun with no problem.

Thanks for the help, I just got paranoid that I was doing something wrong.
Excuse my newbieness :)

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Don't apologize...at least you knew enough to ask the question instead of blindly moving ahead...The makings of a good and safe shooter.;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts