Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I could't help but wonder which one would win in a cleaning contest, on the notion of previous threads advising against solvents. This stuff claims to be non-toxic and biodegradable, and lacks the strong smell of Hoppe's #9.

I happened to score some Hoppe's Elite at the new Wal-Mart here in town, which by the way had .357 sig WWB TMJ in stock for 13.10/box 50; very excited needless to say, for cut rate as they say they are getting new stuff in. A buck each for the bottle of gun cleaner and gun oil, and 50 cents each for brushes, bore brush, and wool mop!!!

I tried the gun cleaner on styrofoam and nothing happened. I have heard that Hoppe's #9 will eat nickel and destroy silicone gun rags, but I have never heard of Hoppe's Elite at all, much less its effectiveness on guns and accessories.

Any information is appreciated ...

Be safe, Big Jake

·
Registered
401 Posts
I have heard unsubstantiated Internet rumors that Hoppe's Elite is really nothing more than repackaged Mpro-7, which is a water-based cleaner.

I don't use either so I can't tell you for sure, but if pressed I would say you'd probably be OK.

·
Registered
397 Posts
ken_mays said:
I have heard unsubstantiated Internet rumors that Hoppe's Elite is really nothing more than repackaged Mpro-7, which is a water-based cleaner.

I don't use either so I can't tell you for sure, but if pressed I would say you'd probably be OK.
I haven't used the Hoppes Elite, but it does smell just like Mpro7 and I have been using that for atleast 5 years now, Great stuff!!! Lot of people don't give it a chace, but everyone of my shooting friends have switched to it after I let them use some of my Mpro7.
http://www.mpro7.com/

·
Registered
324 Posts
I used the elite for the first time last week and cleaned the barrel of my 1911 better than anything else I have used.I also tried the oil as I ran out of gun butter.I ordered some more gun butter last night.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I did a security system for one of the guys that created it. He also worked on Mpro7. Very similar, but he prefers the Elite. He said it is sold under another name, but I don't remember, and it isn't Mpro7. Tiny bit different according to him.

I use it every time now, and it really does clean a hell of a lot better without the strong smell. I can actually clean with it in my family room watching TV without pissing off the woman.

I don't really like the hoppes elite oil though. I prefer the Miltech over it.
IJ

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Snake-eater 1 said:
Call me different (many do!), I LIKE the smell of Hoppe's 9. It's the Chanel #5 of the gun world :D
There is no arguing that, but I am pretty convinced the T.F.O.'s are not even close to safe with that stuff, concrete barely stands a chance!!

I did have the opportunity to go down to the range last Thursday after this post and put about 500 rounds downrange, alas I have joined the 10,000+ rounds family!!! Got the old XD pretty grimey in the process. I went ahead and threw my hand in with the Hoppe's Elite and soaked the entire pistol down really good and let it set. Happy to say I got a decent cleaning job done and no harm came to the T.F.O.'s!!! Then the Hoppe's Gun Oil in all the nooks and crannies, another decent lubing obtained.

I also rented a G32 that day and put 200 rounds downrange and needless to say I am still less than impressed with the glocks performance with this round. Maybe just me, but IMHO Glock really built a poor firearm around the .357 Sig, and I still support my decision not to purchase a Glock in this caliber. Further trial to be had in the future, but I just can not wrap my hand around a Glock and say wow. I have put many rounds of various calibers through numerous Glocks and still no love. What can I say, I tried.

In summation:

Shooting the XD is still as fun as the first time!! 10,000 rounds, where did the time go, they grow up so fast!!!

Hoppe's Elite products are safe for the Truglo T.F.O.'s, and did a decent job in cleaning and lubing my pistol ...

I still cannot bring myself to love a Glock in my hand, but I am glad I still try from time to time ...

Be safe, Big Jake

·
Registered
401 Posts
bigjakern said:
I also rented a G32 that day and put 200 rounds downrange and needless to say I am still less than impressed with the glocks performance with this round. Maybe just me, but IMHO Glock really built a poor firearm around the .357 Sig, and I still support my decision not to purchase a Glock in this caliber.
Why is that, do you just not like the feel of the gun? Did it function OK while firing it?

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I too recently began to use Hoppes Elite gun cleaner and have been very impressed. Like one of the other responders, I now can clean my guns while watching tv with the wife in the room without the usual complaints about the smell. That aside, the stuff works great. Not only that, but after the next range session of about 150rnds through each of three guns, they all cleaned up easier than they had previously which I attribute to the qualities of the Hoppes Elite product. The guns are so clean, that it is hard to leave a fingerprint on them. In fact, a little wipe down with some wd40 on a patch or rag is almost required to insure the blued models at least have some oil to hopefully preserve the finish. Even then, the light oil seems to penetrate better into the finish than before.

Even when cleaning the bores of the guns, Hoppes Elite requires less passes with a brush than previously with the old #9 in order to insure a very clean bore.

I'd say it was a very good product and it's about time that something better than the original #9 came along.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ken_mays said:
bigjakern said:
I also rented a G32 that day and put 200 rounds downrange and needless to say I am still less than impressed with the glocks performance with this round. Maybe just me, but IMHO Glock really built a poor firearm around the .357 Sig, and I still support my decision not to purchase a Glock in this caliber.
Why is that, do you just not like the feel of the gun? Did it function OK while firing it?
Maybe I am spoiled, but the grip sucks, and the gun weight is not enough to lessen the bark of the .357 sig. I mean it holds 15 rounds. So to me more mag means less gun, and the muzzle flip was abnormally stiff. Overall the G32 functioned very well and was easy to load, and had no failures. Don't get me wrong, I used to enjoy shooting the Glock in 9mm, until I met the 9mm XD. To me Glock is an aquired taste, the XD is an extension of my arm!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts