Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recently got into blacksmithing after taking a horseshoeing class at my community college a year ago. i built my own coal forge and decided that a knife would be the simplest thing to try to build. i am now hooked on making knives these two are the first ones that i made. they are forged out of railroad spikes. the first one i made for my girlfriend for her birthday, the second was for me.

just thought i would share.

·
Administrator
22,463 Posts
Very nice work and a very valuable skill to have in case of SHTF.

·
Registered
407 Posts
very very cool. congrats on a great skill

·
Administrator
22,463 Posts
i recently got into blacksmithing after taking a horseshoeing class at my community college a year ago. i built my own coal forge and decided that a knife would be the simplest thing to try to build. i am now hooked on making knives these two are the first ones that i made. they are forged out of railroad spikes. the first one i made for my girlfriend for her birthday, the second was for me.

just thought i would share.
Can you make me Wolverine claws?:D

·
Registered
303 Posts
central montana, thanks everyone.

Thats a little to far away!

If anyone else makes there own knives I have 2 old steel wagon wheels. I tried to cut one with a sawzall a few years ago. I gave up after 4 blades and only getting an inch in. A guy in southern Kentucky use to make handmade knives with them before he passed away. They were indestructible and held one hell of an edge. To bad I couldn't afford one.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If anyone else makes there own knives I have 2 old steel wagon wheels. I tried to cut one with a sawzall a few years ago. I gave up after 4 blades and only getting an inch in. A guy in southern Kentucky use to make handmade knives with them before he passed away. They were indestructible and held one hell of an edge. To bad I couldn't afford one.

another thing that makes great blades is the flat discs from a seeder. the only way to cut those is with a cutting torch.

i grew up about five miles from a knife maker named Dwight Towell, some of his knives cost up to $12,800

1 - 10 of 10 Posts