Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a sr1911 with about 400rds in it. I'd like to lighten the trigger a bit. I know there are videos on how to do it but not sure if I could really screw it up.

I've never done any polishing/sanding like that, but I'm also not a complete newb to mechanical things. Just a newb to gunsmithing.

So would it be better to just pay somebody to do it, or do it myself?

I also have a couple of 10/22's I want to do a trigger job on and mod them as well.

Some tips on how to do it, like do I need a jig, what to use to polish/sand em?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
The biggest mistake made with a diy 1911 trigger job is screwing up the sear/hammer engagement, which can lead to serious safety issues. It would be best just to polish the contact surfaces and adjust the sear spring tension. Some good info on adjusting the sear spring can be found in the link provided, though if you make any modifications to the sear and disconnector, it's at your own risk.

http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/learn/bt002005.pdf

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
I've done lots of trigger jobs on XDM's, SRT triggers in P series Sigs, complete polish jobs on Ruger revolvers, new springs on SW revolvers, but I don't mess with my 1911's. I've heard too many horror stories of bubba gunsmith jobs going bad. I would consider something as simple as new springs in a 1911 but that's where I'd stop.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
I've done lots of trigger jobs on XDM's, SRT triggers in P series Sigs, complete polish jobs on Ruger revolvers, new springs on SW revolvers, but I don't mess with my 1911's. I've heard too many horror stories of bubba gunsmith jobs going bad. I would consider something as simple as new springs in a 1911 but that's where I'd stop.

Just my 2 cents.
Nothing like over confidence combined with a bit of ignorance and a file to turn a 1911 into a full auto monster.

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
Nothing like over confidence combined with a bit of ignorance and a file to turn a 1911 into a full auto monster.
Amen brother.

Sometimes I get the urge to do work at home on a gun and I buy a gun for that purpose, and that is one of the appeals to Glock is that you can do so much on your own in a simple platform. But the 1911 isn't a home made friendly simple platform.

I'd consider something like the trigger kits you can get on Brownells and follow the videos to the T, but that's where I'd stop.

To the OP, if the trigger is smooth with no grit and you just need it lighter consider some spring swaps. They're not that hard to do.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
You have options:

1. Buy a drop in kit with minor end user fitting.
2. Buy parts that require a little more fitting(Jig and Stones required)
3. Profile and polish current parts.

Im not sure how good are the factory componrnts are on your pistol, but poor quality parts wont hold profile long. Youd end up buying new parts after several hundred rounds anyways.

If I were in your position, Id go option one and have a 1911 smith complete the job. Not just any gunsmith.

I went option 2 and completed the process myself on all of my 1911's. I have lots of experience with small parts and small tolerances though.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Home trigger job on Glock - great idea and hard to screw up. Also not expensive to fix if you DO screw up.

Home trigger job in 1911 - tricky and possibly very dangerous. Not cheap to fix if you screw it up and unless you are a 1911 guru...plan on screwing it up.

-brickboy240

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The biggest mistake made with a diy 1911 trigger job is screwing up the sear/hammer engagement, which can lead to serious safety issues. It would be best just to polish the contact surfaces and adjust the sear spring tension. Some good info on adjusting the sear spring can be found in the link provided, though if you make any modifications to the sear and disconnector, it's at your own risk.

http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/learn/bt002005.pdf
Thank you, and everybody for your the help!

Now to find a good 1911 gunsmith.

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
The question you gotta ask yourself: are you as stupid as I am?

I've hit myself brutally hard in the balls with garden hose to where I was laying on a cold wet floor.

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
Listen to above mentioned comments. I'd go the gunsmith route too.

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
Amen brother.

Sometimes I get the urge to do work at home on a gun and I buy a gun for that purpose, and that is one of the appeals to Glock is that you can do so much on your own in a simple platform. .
Allow me to momentarily thread-jack...

You said something nice about Glocks!!!

I used to be a hard-core Glock basher, but after renting a G19 yesterday, it's fallen into my "must get" category. I shot the entire box rapid-fire, and every round was either a head shot or center mass. I don't think I've ever spend $40 for 10 minutes of fun in my life until now, and it was money well spent.

I can't recall if you've said that you've ever fired a Glock or not, but I figure if I can be converted, chances are that you can too. :twisted:

·
Registered
536 Posts

I don't think I've ever spend $40 for 10 minutes of fun in my life until now, and it was money well spent.
You mean to tell me you've never gotten a private dance at a ***** bar? LIAR:mrgreen:

·
Registered
18,867 Posts

You said something nice about Glocks!!!

I used to be a hard-core Glock basher, but after renting a G19 yesterday, it's fallen into my "must get" category. I shot the entire box rapid-fire, and every round was either a head shot or center mass. I don't think I've ever spend $40 for 10 minutes of fun in my life until now, and it was money well spent.

I can't recall if you've said that you've ever fired a Glock or not, but I figure if I can be converted, chances are that you can too. :twisted:
I've owned a couple of Glocks and I don't doubt I'll own another one day, it's not the gun I enjoy making fun of it's some of the goofy owners, the ones who no matter what you happen to be shooting will tell you their Glock is the greatest gun ever invented.

I didn't shoot the Glocks I owned particularly well, I didn't like my G27 at all, so I sold them and bought guns I liked more.

See Dorf's behavior on this board that's got him banned from other forums? That's your all too typical Glock owner. The non-insane Glock owners (GTJon, Carl, Dev, most of the guys on this board) are totally cool and we're just having fun with each other. The insane Glock owners go into total meltdown mode if someone makes a disparaging comment about their Glock.

See Dev teasing me about Sig's? See me melt down and defend them? It's just in fun until someone gets their panties in a bunch because you suggested that a Glock isn't God's gift to gun owners.

The ability to cheaply modify the gun is one of the Glock's best features and I get that, but for ME I'd rather own better guns (better being what I decide is better because it's my money) like my Sig's or HK's. But if you shoot the Glocks better than you shoot other guns then you should absolutely buy one, nothing wrong with the gun just don't turn into a blithering Glockhovas Witness.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Not all Glock owners are butt holes.

I own three Glocks but also own 4 1911s.

Different tools for different jobs, I say.

But yes...the trigger on a 1911 is really better handled by a professional. As a novice 1911 tinkerer...swapping sights or maybe springs and an extractor are not too bad but tinkering with the hammer/sear engagement is just not a job any novice should try. Especially on a gun you will be carrying.

-brickboy240

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Close enough to smell the waft of communism drifting over the border, eh?
Its actually all over. Some more than others. I work and have some property in Illinois, the stench is pretty thick. Strides are being made though.
I dont spend more time there than I have to.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts