Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking for a multi camera security system. Must be wireless due to living in an apt. I want it to have a internal drive and ability for cloud storage of video. I want to beable to access it over the web on phone or computer.

What are yalls experience with these and does anyone have recommendations?

·
Registered
8,708 Posts
Not sure about the multicam systems but I do have a couple of the d link ip based cameras. I can access them from anywhere I can get a connection and pan/tilt/ audio is built in. The app allows me to take snapshots. It sounds like your looking for something more automated though. I've seen them but no experience with them. They range in price from 499 to 1000+

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure about the multicam systems but I do have a couple of the d link ip based cameras. I can access them from anywhere I can get a connection and pan/tilt/ audio is built in. The app allows me to take snapshots. It sounds like your looking for something more automated though. I've seen them but no experience with them. They range in price from 499 to 1000+
I want it to record 24/7

·
Registered
8,708 Posts
That model is going to be expensive. The HD size would have to be in the terra range. Consider one that records when there is motion. Sensitivity can be set so the most minute motion will trigger recording. Also, if you're going to record, make sure the HD is safe. Most BGs look for the evidence on a B&E. They'll ransack looking for it if they notice the cameras.

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That model is going to be expensive. The HD size would have to be in the terra range. Consider one that records when there is motion. Sensitivity can be set so the most minute motion will trigger recording. Also, if you're going to record, make sure the HD is safe. Most BGs look for the evidence on a B&E. They'll ransack looking for it if they notice the cameras.

It will be locked behind a door with the safes.

Im fine with motion caption.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Those requirements are going to garner some pretty deep pockets and a robust network. Streaming full HD with what I'm assuming you want is full motion (30fps) is easily going to require 10Mbps or more of wireless bandwith for EACH camera with no interruptions and that's if you get something using h.264. You'll want very good qos and probably a dedicated wifi network for this camera so that streaming services for entertainment or gaming doesn't bog it down. If the camera transmits via UDP and lost packets occur theres no retransmission of the data so youll end up with missing bits or artifacting in the frame. The same goes for your upload speed, most people have an asynchronous connection and while you may have 50-100mbps download you probably have 5mbps or less for upload speed which will limit remote viewing in real time at those resolutions. The type of device chosen for remote viewing could play a role as well, a low powered tablet may have issues rendering HD video thats dependent on the connection it has at its location or may not even have a 1080p screen at all.

Personally I haven't seen a wifi ip camera that as an internal hard drive (usually SD card if anything), the typical 3.5 or even 2.5" drive and associated controller takes up a significant amount of space on top of what's necessary for motors if you want ptz control. If they do exist I think you'll find it cheaper to build a multi-TB storage server if you need several cameras.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
One of the limitations I have found with such systems is that each "wireless" camera needs an electrical power supply, and batteries do not cut it.
A truly wireless camera has a motion sensor to extend battery life, but I found one nice spider web flapping in front of the lens can fill up a hard drive with web pics and drain the battery.
I compromised with two wireless-but-powered cameras focused on the entrances to the property so I at least get "evidence." I have to clean the cameras three times a week and reformat the hard drive once a month.
I got a dog. Best security system in the world.

·
Registered
8,708 Posts
I'm currently using two Dlink wifi based, powered cameras. They're not set to record, but I can check in whenever I want from anywhere I have wifi. I can take stills if I want. Just havent bothered to buy the premium storage on cloud.
These cameras can be configured to record though. About $100 a pop. But the clarity and sound is amazing.

·
Registered
19,988 Posts
the most important part of any home security system is getting a good face shot of the burglars when they knock on the door to see if anyone is home before they break in.

get a peep-hole camera.

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone

I like the looks of theses

I got a dog. Best security system in the world.
So do I:wink:

the most important part of any home security system is getting a good face shot of the burglars when they knock on the door to see if anyone is home before they break in.

get a peep-hole camera.

I have been looking in to these... Any certain one you recommend?

·
Registered
9,649 Posts
Just buy a bunch of these and put them around your house, lol.

·
Premium Member
18,061 Posts
Get some Foscam Wireless IP Cameras. Use Blue Iris to record and backup on a separate hidden PC.
What's your experience with Foscam? They don't seem to get very good reviews re: reliability but the BlueIris software appears to handle other IP cameras so that's a plus.

With wireless you either need them to have a built-in SD card or have cloud support which is typically an annual fee that you must take into account vs. low purchase price of a standalone camera. Even with a wireless camera you still need to have access to an AC plug.

I've been looking at either Swann or Samsung DVR systems. 4-channel is probably enough...

http://www.amazon.com/Swann-SWDVK-430004-US-TruBlue-600TVL-Camera/dp/B008P8FEPA/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1408383825&sr=1-3&keywords=swann+security+camera+system

Amazon.com : Samsung SDE-3004N 4 Channel DVR Security System with 500 GB HDD : Surveillance Recorders : Camera & Photo

·
Registered
580 Posts
I've only had one I had to return and that was as soon as I hooked it up. App on my phone I can look, listen, talk, or control from anywhere. I can also take screen shots.

No built in SD card or cloud needed....just a PC running Blue Iri if you choose to record it.

Running the AC was a breeze, just extend the small cable and plug in the adapter anywhere. I've even got one of the inside cameras, outside under my awning so it stays dry. Worked fine even in -10 degrees last winter.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Those requirements are going to garner some pretty deep pockets and a robust network. Streaming full HD with what I'm assuming you want is full motion (30fps) is easily going to require 10Mbps or more of wireless bandwith for EACH camera with no interruptions and that's if you get something using h.264. You'll want very good qos and probably a dedicated wifi network for this camera so that streaming services for entertainment or gaming doesn't bog it down. If the camera transmits via UDP and lost packets occur theres no retransmission of the data so youll end up with missing bits or artifacting in the frame. The same goes for your upload speed, most people have an asynchronous connection and while you may have 50-100mbps download you probably have 5mbps or less for upload speed which will limit remote viewing in real time at those resolutions. The type of device chosen for remote viewing could play a role as well, a low powered tablet may have issues rendering HD video thats dependent on the connection it has at its location or may not even have a 1080p screen at all.

Personally I haven't seen a wifi ip camera that as an internal hard drive (usually SD card if anything), the typical 3.5 or even 2.5" drive and associated controller takes up a significant amount of space on top of what's necessary for motors if you want ptz control. If they do exist I think you'll find it cheaper to build a multi-TB storage server if you need several cameras.
this is pretty much all true

get a peep-hole camera.
great idea! this will reduce costs everywhere else because you can use lower res cams!

they have lockable server cabinets that are pretty robust.
you can cut cost by building a secure storage box at home, then setting it to upload the days video to cloud storage at like 5 am every day.
it will be a bit trickier to get it to delete files after a certain age so you can keep the last week on the cloud or something like that.
i think the office 365 one drive for businesses has a TB of space for a couple bucks a month.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Not exactly what you specified, but look at the Y-Cam Home Monitor system. Very easy setup, uploads on motion, provides live streaming with a few seconds delay, bandwidth friendly due to pre-compression and lower frame rate for stored images.

No local hard drive supported or needed. It stores 7 days of motion capture for free, and you can download any captured video. For $39.99 per year per camera, you can increase that to 30 days of storage.

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
What's your experience with Foscam? They don't seem to get very good reviews re: reliability but the BlueIris software appears to handle other IP cameras so that's a plus.
I just installed one watching my driveway and one inside. So far so good. Quality of the picture is good.

·
Premium Member
1,773 Posts
I'm using ADT for home security with video for the outside they offer a HD night vision camera so much a month on their ADT Pulse accounts. I never had a problem with ADT Pulse at all let alone the night vision camera.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts