Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading a couple articles this morning about children getting killed by guns that they (or their playmates) had found in the house.

I currently keep my loaded gun on a top shelf in my closet (too high for my 4 and 7 year old to reach even with a chair). However, I think I need to do something to make it safer but at the same time I don't want to put a dang trigger lock on it that would render it useless in the event that I need it.

I'd be interested in hearing how some of you are addressing this problem?

Thanks,
Darren

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'd recommend a Gun Vault (www.gunvault.com). They lid pops open automatically when you enter the combination. It's quick, accessible, and secure. You can also open with a key in case you forget the combo or lose power. Keep the keep away from your kids, of course.

Also, don't buy off the website - far too expensive. I found the same units at a Sportsman's Warehouse for $20-$40 cheaper.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
A quick access thumb-print safe or something.

There is certainly no such thing as "too high" on a shelf.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did see one of those a while back that had a 4-key combination on the top and it would pop open with a light inside. Anyone had any problems with these?

Darren

darkfire said:
I'd recommend a Gun Vault (www.gunvault.com). They lid pops open automatically when you enter the combination. It's quick, accessible, and secure. You can also open with a key in case you forget the combo or lose power. Keep the keep away from your kids, of course.

Also, don't buy off the website - far too expensive. I found the same units at a Sportsman's Warehouse for $20-$40 cheaper.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have been curious about this topic also. I don't have kids but am wondering what those of you that do handle this situation. You want it secure to keep it from curious children but easily accesible in case of an intruder decides to enter your home.

How about those of you without any children. What do you do with your home defense gun when it is not in use?

·
Registered
678 Posts
I have four kids, so I am well versed.

I have a 2' x 2' safe next to my bed that requires a number and a key, so what I do is at night, I just put the key in and open the door, in the morning I close the door and take the keys with me.

During the day, I have my XD strapped to me, so there are no problems there and the keys for the safe and my home office are always in my pocket.

I have not tried any of the other safes, but there is no way whether children can reach or not, that I would leave a gun unlocked with or without a full mag.

But that is just me..

- T

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I have an Isteki bio-secure handgun safe--basically a fingerprint access lockbox. Worth every penny, and they're now a lot cheaper than they used to be. I think you can get them for around $250.

I wouldn't want to have to fiddle with comination buttons & keys when a BG breaks in at night. Fine motor control goes out the window. As long as I can press one button and get my thumb on the sensor, I'm armed in about 2 seconds.

Highly recommend it!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I grew up in a house with guns. My father started me on gun safety young and I started shooting young. In talking to some of my friends that also grew up around guns (some are personally anti-ownership) I have come across a common idea. "Curiousity killed the cat." Kids are curious little buggers about everything. If you take curiousity out of the equation then they are less likely to even try to mess with it to begin with.

That being said... I am still a firm believer in a secure combo or biometric safe. But NEVER understimate the determination of a bored, curious child.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I have four kids in the house, 5, 7, 8, & 13. All of them have held and felt my firearms. I showed them the dangers of handling or playing with real guns. Explained that even though my XD and Glock my be plastic, they fire real rds., and can kill. And I too keep my guns in a safe. But if your child goes to a friends house and sees a gun that looks to real, they know not to pick it up, and leave the area imediately. Even when his or her friend said its ok . And come home to let me or mom know. If you just hide your guns from your kids, you are only endangering them. Show them the difference from real or fake so that they know. If you wish to keep them from you child, at there age they'll think its just a play gun.
Explane gun safety. Usally there is safty rules in your gun manuels.

Others may differ., but this is my opinion.

·
Registered
149 Posts
There's a lot of value to be added by teaching kids never to be in the same room as firearms. Like Linchpin notes, you can have yours in a safe, but that doesn't mean everyone else will. The NRA has a child safety video regarding firearms that teaches them to "Stop - Don't Touch - Tell an Adult." This kind of teaching, coupled with safes that leave firearms in accessible to kids (don't have combinations like 1 2 3 4), leads to the kind of safety that is necessary to prevent tragedies such as those recently in the news.

·
Registered
114 Posts
L I N C H P I N said:
I have four kids in the house, 5, 7, 8, & 13. All of them have held and felt my firearms. I showed them the dangers of handling or playing with real guns. Explained that even though my XD and Glock my be plastic, they fire real rds., and can kill. And I too keep my guns in a safe. But if your child goes to a friends house and sees a gun that looks to real, they know not to pick it up, and leave the area imediately. Even when his or her friend said its ok . And come home to let me or mom know. If you just hide your guns from your kids, you are only endangering them. Show them the difference from real or fake so that they know. If you wish to keep them from you child, at there age they'll think its just a play gun.
Explane gun safety. Usally there is safty rules in your gun manuels.

Others may differ., but this is my opinion.
I don't have kids but this is how I plan to handle it.

What do those of you without kids do with your guns at night? Keep it under the pillow? :wink:
Should I still lock it up?

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
When the gun is not "in use", it's on my hip. Safest place for it. Or it's in the holster, sitting within reach of wherever I am.

·
Registered
134 Posts
EDUCATION is PARAMOUNT....

Teach your youngsters the Stop-Dont Touch - Tell an Adult method... it is a tried and true method

As they get older teach them firearms handling safety skills, but only with you or another responsible adult present...

I will NEVER childproof my home.... I will HOMEPROOF my child...

That way if they go to someone else's house they know what not to touch...

Safe storage is also important.... I think safe storage and education go hand in hand....

like it was already said... never inderestimate a child...

be safe

·
Registered
200 Posts
Carry it. With kids around, the safest place to keep a loaded gun is on your hip. Along with education, this goes a long way to de-mystifying your guns.

UD.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Sir_William said:
EDUCATION is PARAMOUNT....

Teach your youngsters the Stop-Dont Touch - Tell an Adult method... it is a tried and true method

As they get older teach them firearms handling safety skills, but only with you or another responsible adult present...

I will NEVER childproof my home.... I will HOMEPROOF my child...

That way if they go to someone else's house they know what not to touch...

Safe storage is also important.... I think safe storage and education go hand in hand....

like it was already said... never inderestimate a child...

be safe
I strongly believe in this as well but I do keep my loaded handguns in a digital locked safe on my dresser if they are not with me. My long guns stay locked in a safe. My competition guns stay in their bags that CAN be reached by my kids but they know not to touch them. The best thing I ever did was start letting my kids handle my guns while I was cleaning them (after I showed them how to unload and clear them). When things are made secret, its fun to find them out. I knew my step-son was responsible the day I gave him his own shotgun for his birthday and he slapped a trigger lock on it, put it in the case and then slapped a lock on the case. Then he did the unthinkable, he handed ME his keys and asked me to please put them up for him. He made me feel so proud...

·
Registered
114 Posts
UberDuper said:
Carry it. With kids around, the safest place to keep a loaded gun is on your hip.
Wasn't sure if you were answering my question, but I should've been more clear. What do those of you without kids do with your gun while you are sleeping?

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Gem1n1 said:
UberDuper said:
Carry it. With kids around, the safest place to keep a loaded gun is on your hip.
Wasn't sure if you were answering my question, but I should've been more clear. What do those of you without kids do with your gun while you are sleeping?
When Im sleeping, I keep it within arms reach.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Gem1n1 said:
UberDuper said:
I have a CCW fannie pack that I use when I run somewhere real quick, and also its with me when I sleep. I place the fannie by my side, and it stays there all nite. That way if i need it, I'll just through it over my neck where it is hanging on my side. The holster is big enough to leave my M3 light attached. Its always good to have a good light when clearing your house.
Alot of in house shootings and killings of a loved one happens because there target is not Identified. Earlier this year I remembered a case here in Houston that a man shot and killed his 5 yr old daughter, when he woke up hearing noises in the kitchen. She was standing on a chair getting a glass from the cabinet. And had the apperance of a tall person standing there in the dark.So the father fired and killed her. If the guy had a light, he would have known.
Other things in my pouch is my D-3 Defender surefire light, extra mags, cuffs, incase the BG decides he wants to live, synthetic gloves in a pouch, my knife, a small notepad and a pen for licence plates or description of the person(s) if they get away, And a candy, if incase I get hungery at nite and don't want to wake the wife :wink:
I never like the idea of leaving a gun on the nightstand or in open veiw. Because there are crooks that can be stealthy and can move about without waking you, and if he sees your gun....it could be to late.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts