Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are some of the worst and most problematic home improvement shortcuts you've ever had to deal with. I am on my 2nd now with a new low.
1) previous house, the previous owner, or more likely the one before, ran 3 wire standard housing wire very tightly to all the boxes....normally no big deal, but he snipped all the ground wires as far back as he could and use 2 blade (no ground) receptacles. I had to run new all new wires to get ground plugs.
2) new leader; Wife "there is water leaking out from under the shower pan". the drain was just loosely sitting there (I thought it was just he cover was loose), lift it up and find out the drain in the concrete isn't centered under the 1 piece shower surround and floor pan drain. instead of putting an offest drain, or just moving the damned thing out an inch and a half, and attaching the shower drain to the pipes properly, the small floor drain down-tube was angle cut and it drizzle into the open floor drain! There is going to be absolutely no way to fix this properly without cutting out the enclosure and starting fresh. My short term halfassed fix was to get one of those reusable foam toilet rings and shove it between the concrete and the shower floor and snake the drain. I just couldn't believe it. I was REALLY not planning for a bathroom remodel in that bathroom at all. Its dinky and is never going to be "nice" no matter what I do to it.The guy I bought the house from struck me as a major perfectionist about stuff like this (and I don't think he and his family used the basement), so I highly doubt he did it. I suspect the owners before him hired a shady contractor to do the work. All this to not just bring the shower surround closer to even with the little wall. Why?

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
My in-laws bought a rural home built in the late '80s by a "good ole boy". Entire house pigties neutral to ground and don't get me started about the plumbing short cuts. I can't guess if the house is going to flood or burn to the ground first. It sucks to clean up somebody else's mess. I am pretty sure it is near impossible to run a GFI outlet in their home.

·
Registered
7,468 Posts
These are the reasons you get a reputable home inspector to inspect the property prior.

They wont find everything but will alert you to potential problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Our first home the guy finished off the basement with barn board he salvaged from an old barn that had burned. He apparently never heard of a junction box as all his wired connections were just open in the ceiling and walls. I boxed up what I could get at. Last time I was in that area the place was still standing.

·
Registered
19,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
These are the reasons you get a reputable home inspector to inspect the property prior.

They wont find everything but will alert you to potential problems.

Can't really blame the home inspector for the shower drain. I didn't know about it for years, until the drain clogged. It wouldn't be something to normally check if it is draining properly.

·
Registered
7,468 Posts
Can't really blame the home inspector for the shower drain. I didn't know about it for years, until the drain clogged. It wouldn't be something to normally check if it is draining properly.
Yes it is.
Been over 20 yrs since I let my license go......

·
Registered
19,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes it is.
Been over 20 yrs since I let my license go......

You would pull the covers and scope all the drains? I'm not sure how else you'd see it.

·
Registered
7,468 Posts
You block drains retain a certain amount of water for a time period and make sure nothing hidden is leaking.

No you cant move or alter anything but dam sure tell if it functions as it should.

Your description its hard to say if it would have shown up during an inspection however things hidden do often show. Like crossed wires on plug with a simple little tester you insert in receptacle.

Always get a property inspected it is a good CYA.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Problem with home inspectors is that the pipsqueak millennial and the 40-something guy who cut his teeth doing construction work both represent the same company. They charge $300-ish per hour and the young pup is not likely to find much more than I could. The experienced guy is the one worth his money because he knows what and where the shortcuts are likely to be found. It's one of those things that you use less than a handful of times in your life, so it is hard to know who to hire. And don't get me started on Real Estate Agent referrals.

·
Registered
7,468 Posts
Problem with home inspectors is that the pipsqueak millennial and the 40-something guy who cut his teeth doing construction work both represent the same company. They charge $300-ish per hour and the young pup is not likely to find much more than I could. The experienced guy is the one worth his money because he knows what and where the shortcuts are likely to be found. It's one of those things that you use less than a handful of times in your life, so it is hard to know who to hire. And don't get me started on Real Estate Agent referrals.
I agree on both points.

However since 90% of homeowners know diddly about construction so there is that.

·
Registered
19,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did have an experienced inspector. This shower drain would have leaked at the same point as any other floor drain that might be hidden under the carpeting in the basement, so the test wouldn't have been safe.

Most of what he pointed out is stuff no longer to code.he didn't really find anything troubling, and this is the only real thing he missed that I know of, save for maybe the one cat faced tree that is arguable about falling under a home inspection, and something I picked up on.

Without long hair clogging the drain, we'd have likely never known either. We moved the master to the basement, so after a year of my wife shedding into it, we have a clog.

·
Registered
7,468 Posts
I did have an experienced inspector. This shower drain would have leaked at the same point as any other floor drain that might be hidden under the carpeting in the basement, so the test wouldn't have been safe.

Most of what he pointed out is stuff no longer to code.he didn't really find anything troubling, and this is the only real thing he missed that I know of, save for maybe the one cat faced tree that is arguable about falling under a home inspection, and something I picked up on.

Without long hair clogging the drain, we'd have likely never known either. We moved the master to the basement, so after a year of my wife shedding into it, we have a clog.
So the real problem IS NOT with the drain. IT OS with the fact NO ONE cleans the hair out of the strainer.

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
I was replacing a garbage disposal in an existing home we purchased. The one installed didn't work so I couldn't turn it on to test..... I did what I thought would take care of it, and killed power at the breaker to everything on that half of the house, both upstairs and down.

Cut the wire... bang/pop/arcs and sparks...... dude had wired it in to the garage door opener circuit from all the way across to the other side of the house. (I now kill the entire house if I can't verify circuit, and bought a "tattle-tale" type indicator that you can check on outside of wire for power.. lesson learned).

·
Registered
19,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was replacing a garbage disposal in an existing home we purchased. The one installed didn't work so I couldn't turn it on to test..... I did what I thought would take care of it, and killed power at the breaker to everything on that half of the house, both upstairs and down.

Cut the wire... bang/pop/arcs and sparks...... dude had wired it in to the garage door opener circuit from all the way across to the other side of the house. (I now kill the entire house if I can't verify circuit, and bought a "tattle-tale" type indicator that you can check on outside of wire for power.. lesson learned).
bah, whats a little 110?
besides, thats why they rubber coat the cutters.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Did you pay to have a home inspection done before closing? If you found that (code requires a separate circuit) I’m afraid of what else lurks inside your walls and ceiling.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts