Springfield XD Forum banner

Home Grip Stippling

2K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  XD-Fan 
#1 ·
After seeing a couple of Linchpin's pics of his stippling I finally got up the nerve to do it myself. I am by no means even good at this yet but I am happy with the result. It sure beat the amount of money that it was going to cost me to have a professional do it. I really like the extra grip it affords on the pistol. I sand papered down the rough spots and now it feels pretty sweet.

See less See more
#5 ·
Gimme
You must be spending time on two forums too! I am actually a huge fan of both! I have four XDs right now and recently acquired my first Sig. That is when I became a "Sig-Fan".

I did do it with a soldering iron. I modified the tip just a little bit and then tested it on an old Fobus POS holster I had laying around.

Thanks Linchpin! I think it turned out pretty nicely for the first attempt. It felt good saving the money too!

#7 ·
Looks good. If I can make a suggestion, being someone who also has a stippled frame. During the next few trips to the range, bring along some fine sandpaper. While shooting, you will notice that the stippling will rub you badly in some areas, and the sandpaper will help knock those areas down a bit.

#9 ·
Thank you Old School for the advice! I got the nerve to do this in part because of how nice your stippled frame looks. Mine looks nowhere even close to yours but I am happy for now. I remember you mentioning the sand paper and I already added that to my range bag. I did a little pre-emptive sanding but I'm sure more will follow at the range. Thanks again!

#10 ·
No worries. The part, or "crotch" between your thumb and index finger is one area to work on. The other will be on the front strap. After a little work, it will be perfect. You have nerve of steel doing what you did! I am such a wuss, I paid someone to do it. :lol:

#17 ·
No, not yet. I've been busy since I did the first stippling. I think I definitely will though. The smooth areas on the front of the grip would really benefit from the stippling even more than where I did apply it. I guess the big dimples are not to everyone's taste. I tried it both ways though and you get much more grip with the larger diameter! I know it isn't everyone's taste to do this but it was my oldest XD and I love the result. I've got plenty of pretty guns that I don't shoot or carry much, this one goes to the range almost every time I do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.