Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know theres no such thing as an all-around home defense and skeet shooting shotgun (or is there???), but thats what im looking for and im willing to make compromises. i recently bought my first firearm (pistol) at the beginning of this year and now im in the market for a shotgun. im somewhat knowledgeable when it comes to pistols, but shotguns? the only thing i know is 12ga is better than 20ga. so please keep that in mind before you try to flame me.

anyways, id love to hear your suggestions and reasoning.. or perhaps links to threads that have already discussed this combo (yes ive searched). i dont have a lot of money, so i cant get two. i just want one solid black shotty. right now im considering a over under 870 express.

thanks! :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
you can get a mossberg at walmart for around $200 that has a short barrel and long 28 barrel. the barrels you can change when needed. that would fulfill the need. i plan on getting one soon myself.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Big 5 puts that Mossberg combo on sale for $249 every other week. It has the 18 1/2" barrell and the 28" barrell. Best of both worlds!!

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
There used to be a Remmy 870 package with a 26 inch choke tubed barrel and a 18" open choked one. I don't know if its still offered. Still, its pretty easy to find a 18" cylinder bore 870 barrel at a gunshow for maybe 80-100 bucks to swap out on a Wingmaster.

Thats the route I'd go if I wanted only one shotty. Hard to beat the Remmy 870!

- Brickboy240

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
I picked up my last 870 online for 160.00 with a 28" barrel and then found a 20" rifle sighted remchoke barrel for HD for 80.00

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Like everyone has said already, either a mossberg 500 or a remington 870 will work perfect. Buy the base model, and then a short barrel to go with it. Keep the short barrel on when its at home for self defense, and then when you go to the range take thirty seconds to put the long barrel on and your set.

You could even get one of each, they're cheap enough :)

·
Registered
375 Posts
If you plan to shoot a lot of skeet, you're going to be disapointed with a pump. While hitting the doubles blinds with a pump is possible, it's a lot of work. Not sure what your budget is but on the low end, I would look at a Mossberg auto, higher up would be a Remington 1100 or 11-87, or my favorite, the Benelli Super Black Eagle.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you plan to shoot a lot of skeet, you're going to be disapointed with a pump. While hitting the doubles blinds with a pump is possible, it's a lot of work. Not sure what your budget is but on the low end, I would look at a Mossberg auto, higher up would be a Remington 1100 or 11-87, or my favorite, the Benelli Super Black Eagle.

If you do well with a pump a skeet it more impressive than the guys toting semi-autos. :mrgreen: Cheap Mossberg 500 is a good gun for the price. I'd take my Shotty with buck shot over my pistol for home defense, a Dead Bad guy is a Bad guy that can't sue you.

·
Registered
295 Posts
If I could only have one shotgun it would be a Remington 1100. If you lean toward pumps, Try the Rem 870 AND a Mossberg 500/590. I actually prefer the Mossy pump, but they are both equally good, just a matter of personal preference. (I prefer the location of the release button on Mossbergs-- behind the triggerguard instead of in front on the Remmy's)

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
I could not be happier with my 870 express. For home defense I have 18" barrel, 7 shot tube extension and knoxx spec ops stock. For skeet/ hunting I have my 26" barrel. Here is a pic of the home defense setup.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
basically what everyone else has said. The reliability of pump guns makes them a top choice for HD, not to mention they're inexpensive. Definitely the most economical way to go is 2 different barrels, which as mentioned is often packaged with the gun.

·
Registered
125 Posts
One more vote for the mossy. I got mine from big 5 with the barrel combo. I have the short barrel for HD and I use the long barrel for skeet shooting.
There's nothing like the sound of a shotgun racking to make a bg dirty his diapers...

·
Premium Member
4,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
guys, i really appreciate the input thus far. im gonna fiddle around with my dad's 500 and then check out, in depth, an 870 from the store (unless theres someone's in Austin i can check out? :D). im not too sure i want to go with a semi-auto, like the 1100, even though i like the idea and itd be better for skeet. i think a pump would be better for HD and thats gonna be its main purpose. i just had no idea it was so easy to swap out a 18 barrel for a 28 until now! thanks again and hopefully i can get something real soon :twisted:

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
well, i bought an Benelli Super Nova today and ordered s Super Nova tac for my son for Christmas or his BD in Jan...they say it will be over 30 days.

i like the Super Nova b/c you can change the stock, etc...the basic Nova you can not...so between the two set ups we could either HD or shoot birds in Sep. i'll prob buy me a tac stock and maybe a short barrel.

they are more pricy than the moss/870s though. i also have an 870 express, but my dad has it at his house for armadillos etc. needed me a shotty for HD and birds and decided to get one before the messiah gets into office.

i like being able to eject the chambered round w/o the next round chambering w/the Benelli button on the forend when storing it.

super nova tac $439
super nova 38" $459

local gun shop i buy all my XDs from...

Benelli - Simply Perfect

cheers

1 - 18 of 18 Posts