Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rescently I traded my 40 SC for a tac 40. The barrel and guide rod had been stripped of their coating do to imperfections in the metal. No problem there at all for me. BUT I began looking at my service model barrel the other day, and after 2-3k rounds, the finish was wearing, as everyones probably would.

So I began thinking about aftermarket finishes, and remembered that I had a DIY bluing kit that I refinished an sks with a while ago. Figuring what the hey, and I could strip it off if I didn't like it later, I'd do the tac barrel for the fun of it.

started with:
top is blued, middle is stock, bottom is stripped

all 3 done:

just the barrels, my finger prints are on the 5"

in the pistol:

I have all images in full size if anyone wants to see them.
Not sure how well the finish is gonna hold up, but It looks better than the stock, and I can touch it up at home. I do know I'll have to keep it better lubed to keep the rust gremlins away.

I'll let you guys know how it holds up.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Nice! Have you had a chance to shoot the Tac yet, If so how did you like it.

I got a chance to put about 200 through the SC. (50 WWB, 50 gold dot, and 100 wolf.) She ran flawlessly. Recoil wasn't as bad as I thought it would be either.

Later, Dave

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
Was that a cold blueing kit? Or was it hot blueing?

I have wanted to redo the barrell on my 10/22 ans would probably do my xd barrell since it is pretty worn with a few thousand also. I am told the cold blueing does not last as long and is really simple. The Hot Blueing has to be done by heating up the metal and then applying the chemical and that is supposed to last longer.

What brand did you use? How long did it take you

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dave-- I did have time to put 10 rnds through it, and absolutely love it. Will be a good comp gun. I'm as comfortable with it as I am with the service.

Xray--No, I didn't do the frame. I'm actually looking into a company that does plating, not really sure what I'm gonna do though.

xd4life--Cold bluing. never done hot bluing. birchwood casey kit with the 3 bottles. I had them for about 6 years after working on my sks. The tac barrel was already stripped so it took about 1 hr-Stripping, cleaning, and bluing--I blued it about 4 times to get it the darkness I wanted. (enough in the barrel for about 20 barrels if I did them all with 4 coats).
My service model took longer cause it still had the half worn finish on it, that I had to strip. The bluing/rust remover included in the kit will take off the coating, but it takes a good brush. say 1/2 hr prep time and 1 hr blueing.

I figured that it wouldn't last long, but if I have to recoat it every 6-12 months then it will be ok, cause recoating will only take a few minutes(touchup).

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've been thinking about getting something like this to touch up my Dawsons and the sight channel. Whoever installed the sights originally used a steel punch. Would this be a good product for my application?

Looks good Jester, thanks for the info.

·
Registered
130 Posts
JesterXD40 said:
Xray--No, I didn't do the frame. I'm actually looking into a company that does plating, not really sure what I'm gonna do though.
I think you may be refering to the slide? So if you were, i'm curious if you blued the plastic frame of your xd...cuz it looks really dark. 8)

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BigDaddy said:
I've been thinking about getting something like this to touch up my Dawsons and the sight channel. Whoever installed the sights originally used a steel punch. Would this be a good product for my application?

Looks good Jester, thanks for the info.
I'd look into a replating for that, the bluing would be a pita to apply just in part.

xray-- ya, I meant the slide on replating. my frame is stock.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts