Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know 1911 clones (it's Ok to say that, right?) are old hat to a lot of you. I've only shot 4 center fire semi-autos: my XD40, a S&W99, Glock ? 40 cal. and, today, a Kimber Eclipse Target ll. I've read about the 1911's on various groups but had no idea how nice they shot.

The Kimber was an out of the box gun. No extra work had been done. Do most 1911's have this nice of a trigger? How does the SA 1911 stack up against a Kimber. I really liked the grip on this gun. More so than my XD. There was no comparrison on the trigger. The Kimber was a 45 and the felt recoil and muzzle flip was less than my 40 S&W. I really liked the adjustable sights on the Kimber, as well. I now understand why the winners at my local steel target shoot are shooting 1911's.

If I were to have the XD trigger worked on by Canyon Creek or buy the drop in trigger that's in the works for XD's would that even come close to the nice trigger on the Kimber?

WyoBob

·
Registered
349 Posts
I carry a Kimber Custom II, which made me hate my X-40. A standard mil-spec SA 1911 won't feel as nice as a custom gun. The nice part is that you can buy one of the cheaper 1911 and then accesorize as you get the money.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Same thing happened to me when I first fired a Kimber. I was looking into 1911's shot several and was won over by Kimber. I bought the Kimber Custom II in stainless, go get a set of Hogue wrap around grips, you will love the feel.

Welcome to the club :wink:

·
Registered
270 Posts
I used to have a Kimber Pro Carry that I really liked even though I don't think it really felt that great. I just like the single stack mag and the overall looks of the gun. I just could not get past that external safety. I just could not trust myself to remember to hit it if I got in a SHTF situation. With a XD or Glock it's just not possible to have that problem.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
WyoBob said:
I know 1911 clones (it's Ok to say that, right?) are old hat to a lot of you. I've only shot 3 center fire semi-autos: my XD40, a S&W99 and, today, a Kimber Eclipse Target ll. I've read about the 1911's on various groups but had no idea how nice they shot.

The Kimber was an out of the box gun. No extra work had been done. Do most 1911's have this nice of a trigger? How does the SA 1911 stack up against a Kimber. I really liked the grip on this gun. More so than my XD. There was no comparrison on the trigger. The Kimber was a 45 and the felt recoil and muzzle flip was less than my 40 S&W. I really liked the adjustable sights on the Kimber, as well. I now understand why the winners at my local steel target shoot are shooting 1911's.

If I were to have the XD trigger worked on by Canyon Creek or buy the drop in trigger that's in the works for XD's would that even come close to the nice trigger on the Kimber?

WyoBob
Ive felt Airforumla's CanyonCreek trigger and its very impressive!
Ummm..that didnt sound right... :shock:

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
the 1911 has the perfect trigger. its a strait back press that can be lightened to almost nothing. the over travel and reset can be reduced to almost nill. why do you think all the top competetors shoot 1911s?

accuaracy is in the eye and the trigger finger and nothing else... the 1911 has the perfect trigger design... you can add the two together and come up with an answer.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I guess I was kind of spoiled when I shot one of Kimber's high-end pistols. I had just spent a lot of time shooting and fondling a Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special right before that so when I got to the Kimber I was kinda "meh"

brad cook

·
Registered
190 Posts
thought i'd put in my two bits.
I love my kimber, and also my xd, granted it's like apples and oranges. it's ok to like both. my kimber is an ultra ten II, with a 3 3/4 barrel, but very accurate, it is my carry gun, it hides very well and i have ten in the mag and one in the hole, that's a lot of bad guys if tshtf.
my xd is a service model, when i carry it everyone knows, it's a little to long to be ideal for ccw, unless it's in a fanny pack, but once again everyone knows.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the replies. I was talking to a friend this am and he went to our local steel plate shoot last week (I was out of town). That got his juices flowing and I told him about shooting our mutual friend's Kimber. He went shopping! Dirty rat. He'll buy one long before I will. I'll have to sell some extra toys to keep everything on an even keel at home if I decide to buy one. I really liked the grip, "feel", heft and sights on the Kimber. Really feels like a quality gun. I'll check out the SA's, too. I'm not in any hurry.

WyoBob

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
I have an Kimber Ultra Carry, 3" barrel, that I alternate with my XD-40SC as a carry weapon. I think that the Kimber handles recoil much better than my XD. And both weapons weight about the same, but I enough both.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I love my SA Black stainless "loaded" model. IT shoots like a charm and have not had one FTE or FTF. I was looking in to the Kimber Ecplise II. The black stainless SA looks the exact same. The reason i went with SA is the customer service and lifetime warranty.

P.S. Polardaddy is NOT my daddy :lol:

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
WyoBob said:
Do most 1911's have this nice of a trigger? How does the SA 1911 stack up against a Kimber. I really liked the grip on this gun. More so than my XD. There was no comparison on the trigger. The Kimber was a 45 and the felt recoil and muzzle flip was less than my 40 S&W.
A full size 1911 with a steel frame is a heavy gun. So felt recoil will be less. Muzzle flip too I guess, but it depends a lot on how you hold your gun. My SA 1911 (full size stainless) and my XD 9 Subcompact have about the same felt recoil to me. If there is any difference in muzzle flip, my .45 may have less. They are also equally loud. The shorter barrel 9mm is as loud as the 5" 1911 .45.

"Do all 1911 triggers have this nice a trigger?" If they don't, they can with a little work. My SA "Loaded" has a perfect break (IMO), with zero creep, and virtually no over-travel (over-travel is adjustable, and I could bring it down more, but there is a trade off for everything. The over-travel is not noticeable).

I was torn between a Kimber Custom Target II (Stainless) and the SA "Loaded" stainless. Same price. Shot the same. I went with the SA because I read as much as I could and it seems people (including gun dealers) are much happier with SA's customer service. I have not had any reason to use the customer service, but it's good to know they are there just in case. Also many of the newer Kimbers have external extractors. I've had guns with external extractors and never had a problem. But those who seem more informed than me don't seem to like them as much as an internal extractor.

Either the Kimber or the SA are great 1911s. Lots of gun for the money. A Kimber like you shot, or a SA "Loaded" is going to be half the price (or less) of a top shelf 1911. But for most of us, the guns will shoot far better than we have the competency to shoot them. The .45 is a very accurate round, and the 1911 platform is hard (if not impossible) to beat. It's been around for almost 100 years and is more popular now than ever. Things like that are not just coincidence.

Peace,
D.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
I doubt you will get a 1911 like trigger pull out of any XD or similar pistol. That is why there is such a love for the 1911 styled pistol. The closest pistol in trigger feel will be a Hi-Power. I love my 1911s and Hi-Power...nothing has a trigger feel like those two designs...nothing.

I too handled a Kimber not too long ago and liked it and am consdering trading up from my stainless Springfield Mil-Spec to a Kimber Custom II. For about 700 bucks, you get a 1911 with all the bells and whistles - not a bad deal.

-Brickboy240

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Brickboy240 said:
I doubt you will get a 1911 like trigger pull out of any XD or similar pistol. That is why there is such a love for the 1911 styled pistol. The closest pistol in trigger feel will be a Hi-Power. I love my 1911s and Hi-Power...nothing has a trigger feel like those two designs...nothing.

I too handled a Kimber not too long ago and liked it and am consdering trading up from my stainless Springfield Mil-Spec to a Kimber Custom II. For about 700 bucks, you get a 1911 with all the bells and whistles - not a bad deal.

-Brickboy240
i have one if you want to shoot it... if you ever come to one of our meets :wink:

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I forgot to thank everyone who responded to my post. I'm still reading up on and studying 1911's. Trying to gather as much info as possible. I like the heft and feel of the Kimber. I'm sure the SA 1911 would be the same. Just feels like quality (and a piece of history).

I've thought about getting a XD 4" and having a trigger job done on it. I think I might shoot a 4 inch a bit better because of a better sight picture. Maybe I'll get a trigger job on my SC. I've got a lot of time working up handloads on my 40 cal and don't know if I want to start over with a .45. No big hurry and it's fun to read (and dream) about a new gun.

WyoBob

·
Registered
171 Posts
WyoBob said:
The Kimber was an out of the box gun. No extra work had been done. Do most 1911's have this nice of a trigger?
Nope.

How does the SA 1911 stack up against a Kimber. I really liked the grip on this gun. More so than my XD. There was no comparrison on the trigger. The Kimber was a 45 and the felt recoil and muzzle flip was less than my 40 S&W. I really liked the adjustable sights on the Kimber, as well. I now understand why the winners at my local steel target shoot are shooting 1911's.
Opinions differ, but I really like my 1911 Kimber. Mine's a Gold Match II Stainless in .40. It came with a 3.5 lb trigger that has broken in at about 2.5 lbs. I shoot it better than any other gun I own, which is why I shoot it in USPSA Single Stack and sometimes L-10. A friend that marginally outshoots me when I shoot L-10, loves his SA 1911.

As for being better than an XD, that's a tough call to make. My XD9 SC is the most amazing 3 inch barrel pistol I've ever shot. It's my carry gun, on me when I'm wearing enough to conceal it (rare, I live in S. Florida), in a fanny pack otherwise. I like it so much that, by the end of the day, I'll probably have purchased a 5" barrel Tactical. I don't expect the Tactical to outshoot my Kimber, but that's not what I'm buying it for. It will be my USPSA Production gun, where I do expect it will outshoot everything else I might have chosen.

I don't know anything about trigger jobs on XDs yet. I don't want one on my carry gun. I'll probably get one for my Production gun. Personally, I'd be very surprised if an XD trigger could be as nice as the one on my Kimber, but I certainly will not mind being surprised.

Edited to add that by the end of the day I DID buy an XD9 Tactical.

Lee

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Does anyone own (or has fired) the new Taurus 1911 that is advertised inside the front cover of this month's American Rifleman? They tally up the cost of all it's features and claim that for $600 you get all the features of a $2,000 dollar gun from other manufacturers.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts