Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What type of retention holsters do you use? I am looking at the Serpa.

I noticed tonight while practicing my draw with an empty firearm--checked, checked and rechecked it--when I was re-holstering it I realized that I made a serious mistake, that had I had live ammunition chambered I would have shot myself--I made the mistake of re-holstering and my finger was in the trigger housing enough so that when I re-holstered--the XD shoved entered the holster with my finger in the housing and my finger began depressing the trigger....I have to practice a whole lot more obviously with good handling procedures, and I have to get a better holster. The factory holster just won't do--I realized that tonight.

Is Serpa worth the money, or is there a "best" retention holster? My goal is something I can draw from with ease and yet prevent anyone from just grabbing the firearm from my holster, should someone attempt to do so.

·
Registered
49 Posts
First off, when re-holstering your weapon, try keeping your thumb pressed down on the rear of the slide. Also, keep that finger away from the trigger!! It should be parallel with the side of the gun, but on the outside of the holster. Anyway, that aside...

I have heard the Serpa holsters are good for the XDs. I believe they utilize a "trigger guard" type lock vs the Safariland which uses an "ejection port" type lock. Personally, I like the Safariland holsters. But, they seem a bit more expensive vs the others of this type. I have an ALS Stage 1 type for my Sig, but a standard style (no retention features) for my XD. Of course, I dont carry my XD, so retention isnt necessarily a concern at this point.

But, it all comes down to what style of holster you prefer, when dealing with the "locking" type. For instance, with the Serpa you will have a release on the outside of the holster, which will require either your index finger or middle finger to release it. For the Safariland, they tend to be "released" by the thumb. I prefer this....

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a Blackhawk holster with the Serpa. I love it! it is a very nice holster $38.00-$48.00. I have also handled the Level 3 retention holsters from Safariland. We use them at work ;). They are also very nice. I like the Blackhawk better though. It is easier on the hands. The Safariland will wear your thumb out while you are learning to use it. No such problems with the Serpa. The price of the Blackhawk is a lot cheaper. I have not had a problem with my finger being in the way, but I have had it drilled into my head to have "finger on trigger-on target - finger off trigger-off target". I think this helps. It probably also helps that, I have had my own pistol since I was 16. It is only a 22, but it was a good way to learn handgun safety and it is also cheap to shoot. The Blackhawk with Serpa will have your finger lined up with the slide, in position to get on the trigger. You really can't go wrong with either one.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have a blackhawk serpa holster. I think it has excellent retention and is easy to draw from. Go for it. Oh, and be careful and keep your finger off the trigger!!!

Get the blackhawk serpa and keep practicing without live ammo;)

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have used the serpa holster for several years and like it for open carry. I don't care for it for concealed carry however. I have grown fond of the Comp-tac holsters for concealed carry. There is only tension screw for retention but for a concealed gun that is really all you need. + 1 on training yourself to keep your finger away from the trigger off target.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts