Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you guys (and any gals) holster your XD, are you gripping the frame in a manner that causes the grip safety to be depressed? If so, would not this make the XD just like a Glock? Should the trigger catch something - I saw a post mentioning a holster strap - in the downward motion, the gun might discharge.

I have a Kydex holster, but I was wondering if I should slide my hand down the grip a bit when I holster my XD so that the grip safety is engaged.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I have my fingers around the front part of the grip and push down with my thumb on the rear of the slide. For the specific reason you mention, I take care not to depress the grip safety when holstering and I suggest others do the same for safety's sake.

·
Registered
533 Posts
dolanp said:
I have my fingers around the front part of the grip and push down with my thumb on the rear of the slide. For the specific reason you mention, I take care not to depress the grip safety when holstering and I suggest others do the same for safety's sake.

me to,

·
Registered
347 Posts
Chalk up another on the "thumb on the slide" technique.

Matthew

·
Registered
6 Posts
Myself, i grab it like it is going to be used. All three of my holsters have trigger guards so i dont worry about it myself.
Bladetech UCH, uncle mikes IWB, and Bladetech paddle
Steve

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, I'll do the same from now on.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
With a proper holster, you have nothing to worry about.

I grip it like i use it. Muscle memory is important. If you start rinky dinking around with how you draw and present your weapon and reholstering. You will have problems when in a stress situation.

If you trust your gun with a loaded chamber, shouldn't you trust it when you reholster it?

·
Registered
149 Posts
I like the idea of reholsering putting your thumb on the slide.

It makes use of the safty feature that is naturally built into the XD.

I personally do not see a problem between using a different grip for presentation and holstering.

If a stressful situtation i would think the most likely time i would have an AD is when i was holstering the gun after i persented it, so i really like the idea and was looking for a solution for this problem.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
I reholster with my thumb on the back of the slide, too. It's also nice because you can feel the firing pin indicator and it will keep the slide from going out-of-battery.

So I basically have my pinky sticking out, my forefinger indexed along the frame, and my thumb on the back of the slide.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I don't see how you can re-holster the weapon without depressing the grip safety...

What I do, is press downwards with my trigger finger extended.. I use my index (trigger) finger to pull the pistol into the holster.. this feels very natural...

Raymond

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
I have been trained to holster all handguns with trigger finger indexed and my thumb in the back of the slide or over the hammer to prevent them from moving. This way you can feel/prevent the hammer being pulled back in a DA gun or you can prevent it from falling in a SA gun and in a semi-auto you prevent the slide from going out of battery as you holster. Additionally it removes the web of one's hand from the grip safety in 1911's and XD models givingn you at least one more mechanical safety that needs to be overcome.

·
Registered
25 Posts
fingers on grip and thumb on slide. The XD is set up that if the back strap is not depressed the slide will not open or fire. This is good so you don't have the slide push back when holstering and cause the round to get partily ejected. This can cause feed issues when you pull it from the holster. That is another good thing about the XD. the slide will not open enough to allow an issue with a round in the chamber when reholstering.

fingers on grip and thumb on the holster............

·
Registered
398 Posts
Yep, thumb on the back of the slide here too. I make a concious effort not to deprees the grip safety when holstering.

Drawing on the other hand is a totally different thing. I have a kungfu grip on the gun and the grip safety begs for mercy. :lol:

·
Registered
813 Posts
Had this topic come up in another forum that has a bunch of weekend commandos in it and a few experienced people.

I do the same for the XD that I do for any 1911 and this involves training and muscle memory. Your trigger finger not only is out of the trigger guard but checks for the retaining strap to make sure it's not caught in the trigger guard. Thumb is on the back of the slide so that the grip safety is not engaged as well as making sure the slide is not out of battery.

As in the other thread, even if you have a proper holster, there is always the chance for the unexpected to happen.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The Tengu said:
I reholster with my thumb on the back of the slide, too. It's also nice because you can feel the firing pin indicator and it will keep the slide from going out-of-battery.

So I basically have my pinky sticking out, my forefinger indexed along the frame, and my thumb on the back of the slide.
This is exactly what i do, sans the pinky.

·
Registered
242 Posts
My main carry gun is a DA/SA Sig, and I learned the hard way to ride the hammer with my thumb when holstering. Using a top quality IWB holster, I was holstering with my index finger off the trigger and riding the frame above the trigger. My finger snagged my waistband as I hostered and it slipped in front of the trigger. I felt the trigger move a bit as the gun continued downward, but luckily being double action there was too much spring force opposing my finger and it didn't fire.

Now I ride the hammer with my thumb while holstering and keep my index finger far away from the frame.

When holstering the XD40 I use the same technique of riding the back of the slide and keeping my finger away from the frame. This simultaneously keeps my hand off of the grip safety so the gun cannot fire. The light SA trigger pull of the XD would result in a discharge if my finger snagged the way it did with the Sig and the grip safety were pressed in.

I believe that holstering is a different activity than presenting the gun for use. There is no reason to use the same grip for the different actions. What I do that many do not, though, is whenever I draw the gun I draw it to a complete two handed firing grip at low ready or up to eye level and focus on the front sight. This trains "muscle memory" for a proper draw. Since most of my draws from the holster are to put the gun back into the safe it makes sense to not train to use an improper grip and draw stroke.

·
Registered
25 Posts
dragon said:
fingers on grip and thumb on slide. The XD is set up that if the back strap is not depressed the slide will not open or fire. This is good so you don't have the slide push back when holstering and cause the round to get partily ejected. This can cause feed issues when you pull it from the holster. That is another good thing about the XD. the slide will not open enough to allow an issue with a round in the chamber when reholstering.

fingers on grip and thumb on the holster............
Whooops, meant fingers on the grip and thumb on the slide...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Maybe my hands are bigger, but I actually wrap my thumb over the rear sight, giving me a more positive control over the pistol (I can hold it away from my body like that without it dropping or slipping out of my hand and I can control the way it goes into the holster a bit more). Not really significant, I just had to be different.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
fl4ian said:
The Tengu said:

This is exactly what i do, sans the pinky.
The pinky is for clearing your concealment garment.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts