Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I carry my XD, I do carry it with a round in the pipe. However, I have to admit, that 5 pound trigger with no thumb safety makes me a little nervous, especially when holstering. I know there is the "New York" trigger spring for the Glocks, and XD's can be had with thumb safeties, but I'm kind of a purist, and like the pistol "as originaly designed". But it's kind of like having a 1911 cocked with the safety off, or carrying your revolver around with the hammer back. It does have my attention, always.

Is there anyone else that feels similarly?

I don't fault either of these fine pistols, but it just seems they could go bang pretty easy if the trigger ever got snagged up on anything.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I make sure to keep my hand off the grip safety of my XD when I holster it. No compressed grip safety, no bang. Maybe I should worry more, but that makes me happy.

·
Premium Member
20,508 Posts
The best safety is in-between your ears.
Don't let your reholstering become mindless.

·
Registered
455 Posts
If it's any help, I carried an XD45 for more than a year and never had any trouble with the lack of external safety. I sat on the gun, fell asleep on it, had it come un-holstered twice while answering nature calls, got into and out of numerous vehicles and otherwise did my daily tasks.

I holstered it just like I drew it--with a firm grip.

For what it's worth, I've had my 1911 thumb safety un-done several times in the 15 or so years I've carried it.

I check for ravelings and loose threads when I get dressed, keep the holster and belt in good shape and the gun in top form. Everything works as it should and I've come to believe that keeping the booger hook off the bang button is the best safety ever devised.

·
Premium Member
127,161 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. I would practice drawing and reholstering alot at the range though.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I carry my 1911 with safety off. I was too used to the lack of a thumb safety when carrying my XD for years. I don't "worry" about not having the safety on, but I DO think about it. It stays holstered unless it's coming out to play. It's not going to go off by itself." Either way, I keep my booger-hook off the bang-switch until I'm ready to destroy something.

·
Registered
174 Posts
It's the way they were designed, so no. I understand that you might have some reservations though. Just make sure the holster is made for your specific firearm, keep your trigger finger along the frame/slide, and use a slow and smooth motion and you'll be just fine. If you really need to assure yourself then just reholster your empty pistol a bunch of times. And in the process you can get some draw practice, so it's a win win!

·
Registered
434 Posts
I holster both, cocked and locked and never worry about it. Just get used to NEVER, EVER putting your finger on the trigger or in the trigger guard until on target and ready to fire.

What K-Slim says.

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
I carry a G26 with a trigger pull of just under 4#, daily, IWB in a Kydex holster. I can't think of anything that might snag. I don't worry about it.

·
Registered
29,597 Posts
Doesn't bother me in the slightest; it's not going to go off in the holster, and I've practiced enough that I don't touch the trigger until I see the weapon, barring making a conscious decision to "speed rock".

As for holstering, I always--ALWAYS--check the holster mouth visually and/or tactilely prior to beginning to holster...with ANY weapon; Glock, 1911, revolver, P7...doesn't matter, and make damn certain my holster is in good repair.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
I always carry a rd in the chamber if I carry my XD, and always carry my 1911 cocked an locked. Never had any problems. I just keep my finger off the trigger and I'm good :D

·
Registered
7,168 Posts
I've got good holsters (leather ones - I inspect regularly), and make sure to clear clothing before holstering.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I holster my XDm in the same fashion as a revolver or my Sigs. That is thumb on the hammer spur or the rear of the slide. With the XD series semi's that keep the grip safety locked so it won't fire or even get pushed out of battery. On a revolver or hammer fired semi with a DA capability, thumbing the hammer will alert you very quickly that the trigger has been snagged, at which point a wise person will stop at take a look at what's going on.

As for thumb safeties, I've never had a handgun with this feature and may be too old to learn how to use one.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Keep your hand off the grip safety when holstering and you have nothing to be worried about, like two people have already said. Advantage of having a grip safety...

·
Registered
29,597 Posts
Keep your hand off the grip safety when holstering and you have nothing to be worried about, like two people have already said. Advantage of having a grip safety...
Make certain your holster mouth is clear of obstructions, and you have nothing to worry about...

Advantage of having your head in the game, instead of relying on something mechanical which can fail.;)

·
Premium Member
4,358 Posts
The combination of the trigger safety and grip safety are one of the major reasons I prefer to carry an XD. Both have to be depressed for the weapon to go boom.

I holster without depressing the grip safety, with my finger off the trigger, using a good quality (CBST) holster.

·
Registered
7,168 Posts
Make certain your holster mouth is clear of obstructions, and you have nothing to worry about...

Advantage of having your head in the game, instead of relying on something mechanical which can fail.;)
^ Exactly.

Do I free my palm of the grip safety and put my thumb on the back of the slide to keep it in-battery? Yes. It can't hurt to be extra careful, and as with many here, the safeties on the XD/XDm are what led me to this firearm in the first place. :)

But my first-line defense to insure against ND while holstering is to always have my head in the game and use good technique and durable goods. A good holster, making sure my trigger finger is off the trigger, and making doubly sure that the holster is clear of garment or other obstructions - those are the fundamentals.

·
Registered
82 Posts
When I carry my XD, I do carry it with a round in the pipe. However, I have to admit, that 5 pound trigger with no thumb safety makes me a little nervous, especially when holstering. I know there is the "New York" trigger spring for the Glocks, and XD's can be had with thumb safeties, but I'm kind of a purist, and like the pistol "as originaly designed". But it's kind of like having a 1911 cocked with the safety off, or carrying your revolver around with the hammer back. It does have my attention, always.

Is there anyone else that feels similarly?

I don't fault either of these fine pistols, but it just seems they could go bang pretty easy if the trigger ever got snagged up on anything.
I have an XD45 with the thumb safety. I don't worry about it. Safety on, holster the weapon. Simple. lol

Honestly though, what has been said above. Quality holster, check for obstructions, and you're good to go.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts