Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to decide which type of holster to get.
How important is it to get a holster (IWB or OWB) with a positive locking device like a thumb break strap or trigger guard holding device.

I only intend to CCW as required, I am retired and not out too much compared to full-time working people.

Do I really need a positive/mechanical holding device on a holster in my situation?

Thanks for any help,

Tom

·
Registered
533 Posts
I would say no, you do not need a mechanical locking device, if the gun is used only for CCW the only person who should know you have a gun is you.. so no one is going to try to take it from you. and in a gun fighting situtation the thumb break is only going to slow you down.. I say get a good open top hoolster that fits your needs...

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
wJAKE19 said it. A Hume Open Top holster is a great option. If you want some added retention, the Hume Agent is an excellent. Both ride high and close to the body, so concealment under a garment is not problem.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess I did not realize that holsters designed with extra mechanical retention are probably designed more for open carry instead of concealed carry.

Thanks,
Tom

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I don't see much need for a thumb break, or retention strap.. unless in the course of your daily activities you might find yourself upside-down, or if you have to climb a lot of fences..

I also prefer KYDEX. FIST makes a most excellent holster in Ultra-Thin KYDEX that retains and conceals nicely. You might give them a look.

Raymond

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
NewXD40fun said:
I guess I did not realize that holsters designed with extra mechanical retention are probably designed more for open carry instead of concealed carry.

Thanks,
Tom
The Comp Tac CTAC is a kydex IWB open-top rig that 'snaps' onto the trigger guard as the weapon is inserted, providing enough retention to keep it from falling out--must be pulled, but not hard. Lots of kydex holsters do this (i.e. Galco Matrix OWB, etc). I would definitely stay away from extra retention if you're carrying concealed. There's not a single benefit to it.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep, the CompTac and Fist are the two I've been looking at for my smaller Taurus, all based on research and pictures of various bellies with holster photos on this forum.

Thanks for the advice.
tom

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I don't have any experience with the C-Tack holsters..but from reading around here they come very highly rated..

I do own two FIST #1 ultra-thin KYDEX holsters and recommend them.

Anyway you choose to go.. I hope you take a look at Gunners alley for your purchase.

Those guys have treated me very well.. and have my endorsement.

Raymond

·
Registered
209 Posts
Old School said:
wJAKE19 said it. A Hume Open Top holster is a great option. If you want some added retention, the Hume Agent is an excellent. Both ride high and close to the body, so concealment under a garment is not problem.
+1 on the Hume products. Good inexpensive holsters.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I got a Blackhawk with Serpa. Quick release of retention that is a natural motion of drawing your gun. I got it for when I go camping, and its OWB. Otherwise I'm IWB, no retention. I have the C-Tac and the Tucker "The Answer." Both are very adjustable. The Tucker is more comfortable, but with the C-Tac the gun does snap in, so I'll use that one when on my motorcycle.

Got the C-tac from Gunner's Alley. Got the Tucker and the Blackhawk from Old School at Pistol Gear. Both great, but I just saw that Old School locked my thread... :wink:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts