Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to find a holster similar to the Crossbreed Ohai, but without the price tag. Don't get me wrong, Crossbreed makes great stuff (I carry in a Supertuck daily) and you definitely get what you pay for. I just need a holster with velcro to go in my messenger bag, and the Ohai costs more than I paid for the bag! I tried the Maxpedition holster that they make for their Versipacks, but it left me less than impressed. Any suggestions? Thanks!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Is this for an XD? I just got a Maxpedition Sitka, I plan on using the packaged holster. Dremel off the belt part and apply some industrial Velcro. I'll be doing it this week and can give you feedback if interested.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is this for an XD? I just got a Maxpedition Sitka, I plan on using the packaged holster. Dremel off the belt part and apply some industrial Velcro. I'll be doing it this week and can give you feedback if interested.
I'd like to hear how it turns out. The bundled holster has quite a bit of retention (at least mine does) which might make it hard to draw out of the bag. Thats why I was eyeballing the Ohai, I figured a kydex holster would be easier to draw from.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice job on the video, I for one appreciate it! I figured the retention would make it harder to draw. Looks like you have a very large surface area to stick the velcro to in the bag, I wonder if it would work better using a large strip of velcro and threading it through the holster like a belt. You could then stick it inside the bag and it would have many times more surface area of velcro, improving its hold.

I've actually warmed up the the Maxpedition holster. Now that I've adjusted it right it holds my pistol exactly where I want it and delivers a quick smooth draw. I may still try an Ohai in the future, b ut for now I am happy.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
I am not trying to be fecetious here, but why are you puttng the gun in the bag instead of wearing it on your body?

·
Registered
318 Posts
I am not trying to be fecetious here, but why are you puttng the gun in the bag instead of wearing it on your body?
I know this has been debated, and I'm sure it could be debated endlessly. I gave myself this carry option for when I'm on campus at my local college. (legal to carry, but against school policy)

I didn't want to deal with the possibility of someone reporting me of having a gun while at school from either printing or somehow my shirt/sweatshirt/jacket being lifted enough for the gun to be in view.

I figure my best option to limit this exposure is a bag, granted it's not fast, but it's better than nothing.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Get any decent pocket holster (Desantis, etc) and place Velcro on it. Should work pretty well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts