Springfield XD Forum banner

Best Way To Carry for Woman Who Wears Skirts / Dresses

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my wife a Bersa Thunder .380. She's applied for her carry permit, and is looking at carry methods. She wears a lot of skirts / fairly light dress clothing (she's not a jeans type).

Initially she thought of a thigh holster, which we may end up getting.

However, does anyone have any experience with any of the following:

-pocket holster in the purse
-thigh holster
-belly band
-smart carry
-thunderwear

I'm looking for options / ideas for her that will be reasonably comfortable / accessible / safe with concealment.

I appreciate any feedback.

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
I'm going through this right now with a female officer that I work with. She likes the thigh holster idea as well, but while sexy, i don't think its very practical.

The purse is easiest, but also the most likely to get stolen or lost. Good luck on your quest.

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
before she settles on one you may want to consider going to a gun store and see if they have various options she can "try on" or you'll end up with a box of holsters in the closet. I have use a pocket holster for my Bersa .380 and my .357 snub nose in a pair of cargo shorts as my summer carry...but that probably isn't going to help you much.

Have you searched google for female specific carry forums to get advice or customer reviews on popular online retailers?

·
Registered
294 Posts
I am strongly Against Purse carry, Only for the fact the if the BG comes from behind, or from the front and the wife doesn't suspect anything wrong, and the purse is snatched. Um, where did the gun go... oh yah, BAD GUY has it... So any of the others are good, but I wouldn't recommend the purse. Just common sense. Some like it, don't get me wrong, but some women lay it down in shopping cart, throw it in passenger seat, or back seat while driving, etc... just not readily available...
So any of the other holsters.. For your wife, I would suggest the belly band/smart carry, and I usually don't like them, but in this case that is what I would suggest.

As always, Stay Safe.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Fish609 got me a SW M&P 9mm and I just love it, but I didn't know how I was gonna carry it lol. I found this site - Coronado Leather, makers of handcrafted, concealment leatherwear for law enforcement and those interested in high quality leather jackets, handbags and carrycases for firearm concealment

Coronado Leather, makers of handcrafted, concealment leatherwear for law enforcement and those interested in high quality leather jackets, handbags and carrycases for firearm concealment <---Link is to the purse that I purchased. I just love it!! It has a zipper in the back of the purse that is easy to open, the zipper locks, it doesn't slide off of my shoulder, and it looks and functions like a normal purse. I would check it out :mrgreen:

**not quite sure why the links look like that but whatever lol**

·
Premium Member
1,815 Posts
I know a lot of people dont like AR15.com here but they have a womens shooters area that maybe helpful

AR 15 Women Shooter

·
Banned
1,224 Posts
Since a purse it so easy to be stolen, I always tell women to avoid that. On body carry is best. My wife likes a belly band, and has often said she would like to try a thigh holster. I like the smart carry with a small gun and jeans, not sure how easy it would be with a dress.

·
Premium Member
8,923 Posts
I think we need pics to see certain areas of concern, i.e. printing, accessibility, etc...

Seriously though, I don't recommend the purse as it's too easy to lose or steal. Thunderwear is slow too. Remember, the more concealment the slower the draw. Whatever it is, she needs to be comfortable with it, and like it so as she can wear it all day every day. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks to everyone for their feedback. I appreciate it. We'll probably end up with a box of holsters by the end of it (just like me);). I've given her the links to each type and we'll see where it goes.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Has she ever worn thigh high stockings with no garter belt? (rhetorical question, I don't want to know, it's just something she should think about). Because they're really uncomfortable and slide down. I have to imagine a thigh holster would be very similar (and annoying).

I voted for the belly band. I have one and it is very comfortable. It works very well for outfits without a belt or waistband. The thunder carry type holsters might work, but they also might make her look like she has a "package".

Purse carry works, but really isn't the best (especially if you have kids, as it is easy to forget about and leave in an accessible place).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts