Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, i got certified for my concealed carry.. What a fun and informative class!! anyways, i am looking for holster options for my gun. I know absolutely nothing about holsters. What i am searching for is something that will conceal well, be comfortable and protect the trigger. Can anyone give me some ideas as to the good and bad of holsters, what i may be looking for? My thinking is something that would be a hip or small of the back type. There seems to be endless choices of holsters but want to cut thru all the garbage and just look at some that are recommended.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
For concealed carry, inside-waistband holsters are usually best because they cover half of the gun inside your pants. Then all you have to do is wear something baggy over the grip. I would not carry at the small-of-the-back, because if you ever fall on your gun you risk spinal injury.

To wear a holster in your pants, you will probably need to wear pants one size up from what you normally wear. Like, if you wear 34's, you might be a whole lot more comfortable wearing 36's with a gun in your pants.

A lot of people generally recommend the Comp-Tac C-T.A.C. and the Tucker Gunleather The Answer holsters as the best kydex solutions, while the Milt Sparks Versa Max 2 and the HBE COM's are very popular all-leather holsters.

A good site to browse lots of different holster designs is www.gunnersalley.com, and most of their holsters can be made for the XD.

Also be in the market for a good gun belt, something stiff and strong enough not to fold over. Gunner's Alley has a new line of gun belts that are pretty affordable (about $40+S&H).

In all, be prepared to spend around $150-170 on a good holster and gun belt setup.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
I too carry in a Galco Fletch High ride. I work as a delivery man and chose it because it can be concealed, but also because of the thumb break. You lose a little on the speed of the draw but its better than your gun falling out of the holster. Get a good gun belt like mentioned before. It will help a ton.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
I have three El Paso Saddlery #77 Tortilla holsters. One for my 1911s, one for my Sig 220 and one for my XD-40. Their work is absolutely the best. Not overly expensive, but oh so worth it! They actually make the holster by hand, when you order it. Yes, it takes about 4-6 weeks to get the holster, but it was custom made by hand for you. A total steal for the quality you're getting. The stitching, the leather used, the lining...first rate. A #77 Tortilla or Street Combat CCW holster for the XD will run you about 60-70 bucks.

EP Saddlery holsters are very durable and I have worn mine through all sorts of crappy weather, sweaty hot days and dusty dry days on the tractor and they all look great. They're very comfortable - even the 39oz all steel govt. model 1911s are very comfortable in this style holster.

Check out El Paso Saddelry - they've beenmaking holsters for over 100 years and made holsters for Gen. Patton and the Texas Rangers. They know a few things about good gunleather and what it should look like!

-Brickboy240

·
Registered
678 Posts
first place to start would be a search and then the second place is the accessories portion of the forum.

Unlike others, I have chosen to not buy different size pants because some that I carry may not require, while others may..

What I opted for was investing in two good 2" leather belts (can be had a Wilson's, I got mine at an outlet mall for 14 bones each) and a nice leather holster for owb. When you buy a nice leather holster like that, it rides extremely close to you, typically the only time it is noticed is if my children come running up to hug me and smack their dome on a piece of the handle.

The specific leather holster I got was from Fin Feather and Fur in Ashland, Ohio, it wasn't made specifically for the XD, the only difference is at first I really had to struggle to snap the thumb break, but after a week or so, it slips in there pretty good.

The holster I have is black leather and has the belt loops and will allow for cant, mine is marked on the back - Old World in Oregon City, OR (funny that it also says made in Italy) and the number is 33523.

It looks pretty molded to the XD's and the good thing about this is I can fit my XD9 sub in there as well as the XD40 (and both snap closed).

Good luck, if you are anything like me, you will go through (and mod) about a dozen holsters before you find what you like (and also before you realize that there is no such thing as a cheap, yet functional leather holster).

T

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I agree that you don't have to spend a ton of money to get set up the way you like.

I got a pretty good thick leather belt at Sportsmans Wharehouse, 1 5/8".. picked that up for $11.00

The holster I now use daily is a Fist #1 ultra-thin kydex holster I got from GunnersAlley.. about $45.00 shipped.

A lot of the guys swear by leather holsters.. I have not had as good of luck as most of them. The leather one I bought (A don hume) was difficult for me to reholster because it collapsed. I think Don Hume has re-tooled their products though, so mine might not be the best opinion on leather holsters. Those run about $30.00

Good luck.

Raymond

·
Registered
114 Posts
i would suggest you invest a few hours and google for holsters. You will find so many options from mass produced to hand made. And the prices will range from about $20 to over $150 You will get what you pay for, but you ned to find what is right for you. If you spend any time at the range, talk to the other shooters there, and get their opinions too, maybe even get to see several different makes and styles, even if not for the XD, and get an idea of what you want. I personally carry in a custom Kramer IWB#3 for my XDSC.www.kramerleather.com Good luck finding the right solution for your personal needs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I use the GALCO FLETCH high ride holster for my XD40 service model. Ialso use a vest that i bought a Coleman for $40.00. The vest is vented in the back. I think that they call it a fishing vest. It is a light in weight and it works for me. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Do you plan on carrying any kind of accessories for your XD? I recently bought one of the Xtreme Holsters for the XD, and it has 2 accessory rails on the holster! that and it is completely customizable as far as how high or low it rides, and at what angle. Mine came with a hex key to adjust the angle and height. I also have a jacket slot bianchi nylon holster for my duty belt, a bianchi brown leather paddle holster w/ thumb strap which I LOVE, and a Fobus paddle holster for when i get in that kind of mood. There are all kinds of holsters for the XD, but nine times out of ten, you'll have to order it. If I had to recommend 1 of my 4, i would say go with the Bianchi leather paddle w/ thumb strap. It is made w/ a carnuba wax molded into the leather and is molded to fit the XD only. I leave mine in it all the time and it won't hurt the pistol and it doesn't allow the weapon to "sweat".

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a 'Closing Argument' model for my Glock 27. The holster is made by Highnoon Holsters in Fl. They seem to have a good variety of models to choose from, belt, IWB, and tuckable. I am very impressed with the quality of the holster I recieved, and will most likely return to Highnoon to holster an XD shortly. Check out www.highnoonholsters.com

1 - 15 of 15 Posts