Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done a search both on here and on Google, and the truth is, there's just not a whole lot of options out there for my pistol. . . I have an XD.45 Service (4").

I'm picking up my CPL on Tuesday, and I am in need of at least 2 new holsters. I'd like a comfortable IWB holster for CC'ing, and I need a decent Level II or III Duty Holster for work. I've used Blackhawk Serpa's before for my old Glock 22 and my Beretta M9, but I had a couple of incidents that could have ended badly with them, and I honestly don't trust them anymore.

I've been told the Safariland duty holsters are decent, and I've had good luck with the Bianchi Accumold holster I carried my M9 in while I was in the Army. I have all Bianchi nylon duty gear, so I need something that matches it.

I know of a guy selling a used leather-lined Tucker Answer holster for $50, I'm just waiting on a response, and I'll go try that out. Are there any better options out there? I'm looking for something comfortable and effective at concealing while I'm CC'ing.

I also wouldn't mind an OWB holster that pulls the pistol in closer to the body, a friend of mine had a 3" Ruger .357 Revolver he carried in a Bianchi leather OWB holster, and it pretty much disappeared when he pulled a shirt over it. . . I think I'd actually prefer an OWB holster to IWB, it's just more comfortable to me. . .

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
for cc you're going to get a ton of recommendations for the crossbreed supertuck around here. i love mine and the vast majority of others who own them do as well. i cant say much in terms of a duty holster though.

also, welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
for cc you're going to get a ton of recommendations for the crossbreed supertuck around here. i love mine and the vast majority of others who own them do as well. i cant say much in terms of a duty holster though.

also, welcome to the forum.
Thanks for the welcome. I've been around here since I bought my XD last year, just never got around to posting much. I'm a lurker. lol

What carry position do you use with the CB ST? I like to carry at the 3 o' clock position or slightly further back from there.

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
i use 5:30. i initially liked 4:00 but i found it conceals better for me at 5:30. 3:00 would be rough on my hip because i have a slim build but i guess thats all personal preference.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i use 5:30. i initially liked 4:00 but i found it conceals better for me at 5:30. 3:00 would be rough on my hip because i have a slim build but i guess thats all personal preference.
I understand. . . I think it's just because I'm used to carrying at 3:00-3:30, that's where my pistol is on my duty belt. I've been looking at a couple of OWB holsters with the "FBI Cant" that I think may work, but I wanted some opinions before I order anything. I really wish I could find some place locally where I can try out a bunch of holsters to find one that works, but there isn't anything like that around here.

I've heard good things about the Galco OWB holsters, anybody here carry in one?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I'm going to go with the Tucker Answer, for the price, it's easy to handle. If it doesn't work well for me, someone else already took the hit (i'm buying it used), so I'm not out anything if I decide to sell.

Still looking for a duty holster though. . . Probably going to go with a Safariland duty holster, I couldn't find a Bianchi for my XD. I may hold off on the duty holster and just carry my Beretta for work. . .

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I carry my XD9 service (4") at 3:00-3:30 in a Crossbreed ST and it's comfortable and conceals well.
just my $0.02

(tangent -- hey when did the "cent" sign disappear from keyboards?
And why did I only just now notice it's gone?
Wasn't it on my last typewriter?)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hello and welcome to (posting on) the forum! :)

Not sure if this type would work for you, but regarding an OWB leather with a cant and good retention . . . for my XDm .40 4.5" I've got a DeSantis 3-slot pancake w/ thumbreak, rides comfortable and snug, nice cant to it, decently made for the price. I'd like to invest more in a more sturdily built one, as I like the feel and fit of this design, but like your .45 service, don't seem to be a lot of options out there.

I also carry at about 3:30 or so, maybe 4:00 . . . . .I have a digital watch now, hard to tell. :rolleyes: The big gun would conceal a lil better a bit farther back, but a shoulder injury makes the draw too difficult.

In addition to the CBST, you'll find a lot of good recommendations for the Minotaur MTAC.

\ I've used Blackhawk Serpa's before for my old Glock 22 and my Beretta M9, but I had a couple of incidents that could have ended badly with them, and I honestly don't trust them anymore.
\. . .
I often use a CQC Serpa for range work, what type of incidents did you have if you don't mind me asking?

Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
For OWB I use an El Paso Saddlery strongside select, its very comfortable and offers great sight protection, which is my primary complaint with most "carry" holsters. When my xd .45 service isn't on my hip, its in the truck, and I like the added protection. i never carry IWB myself, beacuase of an old hip injury, but the crossbreeds seem to be real good for that.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hello and welcome to (posting on) the forum! :)

Not sure if this type would work for you, but regarding an OWB leather with a cant and good retention . . . for my XDm .40 4.5" I've got a DeSantis 3-slot pancake w/ thumbreak, rides comfortable and snug, nice cant to it, decently made for the price. I'd like to invest more in a more sturdily built one, as I like the feel and fit of this design, but like your .45 service, don't seem to be a lot of options out there.

I also carry at about 3:30 or so, maybe 4:00 . . . . .I have a digital watch now, hard to tell. :rolleyes: The big gun would conceal a lil better a bit farther back, but a shoulder injury makes the draw too difficult.

In addition to the CBST, you'll find a lot of good recommendations for the Minotaur MTAC.

I often use a CQC Serpa for range work, what type of incidents did you have if you don't mind me asking?

Good luck!
I carried my Beretta in a drop-leg Serpa holster when my Army unit was in the field. We got dirty. REALLY dirty. We were about to go into a live-fire exercise in a shoot house, and we were practicing switching from the M4 Carbine to our sidearms, and I couldn't draw my pistol. Some dirt had become lodged behind the button on the side, I wound up having to dig the dirt out with my Gerber before we could start the exercise. If that had happened in combat, it would have ended badly. I carried while on duty as an MP in a Serpa Level III (with the hood that closes over the back of the slide), and never had any issues, but I've heard horror stories around the internet warning of the potential for malfunctions when drawing from any SERPA holster, which has caused me to look at some other options.

I like the design of the Serpa holsters, I like the retention (especially with a Level III), but I want a design that cannot possibly fail if I should have to draw my sidearm. Not to mention, for a CC holster, the SERPA's ride too far from the body, making it harder to conceal. I had no problems with my Glock 22 in a Serpa, but when I had that, it was fall, so I was wearing heavier clothing.

I saw the Desantis Pancake holster on one of the websites I was looking at, it seems like it would be a good holster for CC'ing. I didn't want to spend that much ($63), but if it's a good holster, I think it may be worth it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have a comptac MTAC for my .40 service and I love it. It was weird for about a week, then I just forgot I had it on. I guess it wore in and got comfortable on me

·
Registered
96 Posts
Thanks for the info on the Serpa. Can see how that could happen, glad it became an issue before it became a more serious issue!

Agree, the CQC Serpa rides too far out for a real tight CC. :(

I got my DeSantis thru OpticsPlanet, they seem to have pretty competitive prices. I got mine for about $45, here is the link for the same style that would fit an XD .45 4", for about $47, and shipping would be free. It's a slide holster, doesn't cover the muzzle, tho wish it did.

DeSantis Right Hand - Tan - Unlined - Thumb Break Scabbard (3 Slot) 001TAN2Z0 FREE S&H 001TAN2Z0. DeSantis Style 001 Holsters, DeSantis Holsters.

this link should be all the Desantis options for your pistol on their site

Desantis Holsters and Ammo Carriers for SPRINGFIELD - XD45 4" FREE S&H

Good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I carry my XD9 service (4") at 3:00-3:30 in a Crossbreed ST and it's comfortable and conceals well.
just my $0.02

(tangent -- hey when did the "cent" sign disappear from keyboards?
And why did I only just now notice it's gone?
Wasn't it on my last typewriter?)
Like this? ¢

Alt + 0162

Just my 2¢
:cool:

·
Registered
182 Posts
I'm mobbing at Ft McCoy right now. Every single holster I've seen in the field (on IOTV's and on the thigh rigs) are serpa holsters. I know the army hasn't banned them for safety reasons and I like mine.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I got a holster from Theis Holsters, and I really love it. Tommy does great work, is really responsive, and has a great turn around time. For me it was nine days from order to receipt and that including shipping from Arkansas to Seattle. I also got a double mag pouch from him, which he doesn't feature on his website, but will make for you if you request it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts