Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay here goes……
I’m a newbie…...Wow that wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be.

Now that I’ve got that out of the way does that mean I’m free to ask a bunch of stupid questions? :wink:

Since moving to Idaho I have been exposed to more guns in the past two years than in my entire life. It seems like everyone here is carrying……..maybe that is why nobody locks their doors.

We go out wheeling with our Jeep buddies and when we stop for a break out come the armories.
It’s like a weapons convention in the middle of the woods.

Needless to say I’ve got the bug, my daughters like shooting, and the wife is slowly coming around.

Now to the question…..
I am getting my CCW and have decided on the XD 40 subcompact as my weapon of choice. (Not purchased yet) I have never carried before and so I’m not familiar with the holsters for CCW use.

I would think that comfort would be very high on the list of features. What type should I be looking at? Inside the pants, outside the pant, shoulder straps, ankle ????(Sorry I don’t know there official names) I would like something that I can wear all the time, walking in the woods, driving or eating in a restaurant.

I’m not sure if I’m going to need one for summer use that is concealed under my t-shirt on hot days and another in the winter that will be covered with my jacket.

Can you guys (and gals) steer me in some sort of direction to start looking?

TIA (Thanks In Advance)

The Grand Pooh-Bah
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,420 Posts
Can you guys (and gals) steer me in some sort of direction to start looking?
Sure. The bar is in that direction. Get yourself somethin' to drink, and have a seat over here with mah boys. Games about to start. You a gamblin' man? Saaaay.... boy.... you got a pretty mouth...


Hey Don! Check this fella out!

:p

I have no valuable input. And I probably never do. But hey, someone will help ya' out. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
813 Posts
You will find all kinds of suggestions because every person is different in shape and preference. I myself use a simple Don Hume IWB, Galco Miami shoulder rig or an ankle holster depending on the clothes and weather but I am a big guy so what works for me may not work for a slimmer person. I am going to switch over though and try out an Answer or C-Tac IWB though since they are getting rave reviews from the other SC carriers here. Best suggestion is head down to the local gunshop and try different models to see how they fit on you. Also check the Accessories section on this forum for different reviews and suggestions.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Verm said:
You will find all kinds of suggestions because every person is different in shape and preference. I myself use a simple Don Hume IWB, Galco Miami shoulder rig or an ankle holster depending on the clothes and weather but I am a big guy so what works for me may not work for a slimmer person. I am going to switch over though and try out an Answer or C-Tac IWB though since they are getting rave reviews from the other SC carriers here. Best suggestion is head down to the local gunshop and try different models to see how they fit on you. Also check the Accessories section on this forum for different reviews and suggestions.
Im curious about the type of holster that fits inside your pants. It seems that they would be very uncomfortable when sitting and that you would need oversized pants. Am I off the mark on this idea? It would be difficult to test a holster in this position at a store. I appreciate your opinions and advice. I have a few extra cheeseburgers hanging on the side and not a lot of extra room in waist band.

turbo2ltr said:
http://www.rigrate.com
Great resource for info.....Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
Welcome to Idaho! I am relatively new to CCW here as well - I started with an outside the waistband (OWB) holster for my XD-9 Service (4 inch bitone) and I felt like the whole world knew I was carrying. I tried an inexpensive Uncle Mike's IWB (inside the waistband) holster and I felt much better about the gun printing (it doesn't). If you have a local dealer with lots of holsters and some display handguns similar to yours, see if they will allow you to try a few of them.

As far as comfort goes, I'm 6' 1 , 170, and I definitely know that I am carrying IWB. Some people simply tend to carry better than others and I don't fit into this category. You'll have to try the holster in different positions 'till you find a happy medium between comfort and accessibility. I carry mine forward of my right hip, which lets me drive in reasonable comfort. Of course, the Uncle Mikes is an economy holster and I imagine that there are more comfortable holsters out there, as many forum members have already attested to.


A word of advice - certain common activities can become adventures when carrying for the first time. Public restrooms, crowds, etc, provide interesting challenges for you to anticipate and practice for. I suggest that you ask the local sheriff for a set of legal guidelines, if he has one. Last summer, in your neck of the woods, an assistant football coach was cited for brandishing. The charge was upgraded to something more serious by the prosecutor, and the coach will be spending a few days in jail soon as a result (there were mitigating circumstances, but it pays to be careful). However, all in all, Idaho is a very gun friendly state.



Best wishes!

Rotnguns
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,667 Posts
The Grand Pooh-Bah said:
I would think that comfort would be very high on the list of features. What type should I be looking at? Inside the pants, outside the pant, shoulder straps, ankle ????(Sorry I don’t know there official names) I would like something that I can wear all the time, walking in the woods, driving or eating in a restaurant.
you will end up owning several holsters for different occasions.

IWB (Inside WaistBand) for when its hot, and you cant wear a lot of cloths, or you need to wear a tucked shirt

OWB (Outside WaistBand) for when its cold andyou can cover with a jacket

shoulder holster for cold weather/office wear, its really comfortable sitting down.

ankle holster, usually for a backup weapon

MOB/SOB (Middle of Back/Small of Back) dont know, dont use one.

then there are bellybands and fannypacks, neither of which i have used but can see a use for.

The main thing is... its all personal preferance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
595 Posts
Unless you are former military, you will need a safety class in Idaho, otherwise bring your DD-214 to the Sheriff's office and it takes a few weeks to receive it.

I may be new here, but making fun of residents in my home state isn't appreciated.

Sure we love our guns here, have peaceable carry laws in neighboring states, except the liberals on the left coast, nd enjoy a good time shooting when we can.

Carrying is an entirely different situation, it is just you and your safe practices, knowing Idaho laws, etc.

If you are looking for a top shelf holster setup, try contacting Milt Sparks in Boise, www.miltsparks.com They make the best 1911 holsters on earth, my daily carry is my Ultra Compact 3.5 snuggled into a Milt Sparks Versa Max II. I am not sure about XD holsters, but will be going to Milt first when I pick up my XD .40 service in a week.

Welcome to Idaho, if you are up north, don't tell anyone about this place, too many folks are finding out about our little secret up here.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Smoke_Works said:
Unless you are former military, you will need a safety class in Idaho, otherwise bring your DD-214 to the Sheriff's office and it takes a few weeks to receive it.

I may be new here, but making fun of residents in my home state isn't appreciated.

Sure we love our guns here, have peaceable carry laws in neighboring states, except the liberals on the left coast, nd enjoy a good time shooting when we can.

Carrying is an entirely different situation, it is just you and your safe practices, knowing Idaho laws, etc.

If you are looking for a top shelf holster setup, try contacting Milt Sparks in Boise, www.miltsparks.com They make the best 1911 holsters on earth, my daily carry is my Ultra Compact 3.5 snuggled into a Milt Sparks Versa Max II. I am not sure about XD holsters, but will be going to Milt first when I pick up my XD .40 service in a week.

Welcome to Idaho, if you are up north, don't tell anyone about this place, too many folks are finding out about our little secret up here.
Thanks for coming to my defense…..but you have got to look at the source…..someone who wears underwear on their head.

I have looked into the Milt Sparks holsters. They have received rave reviews. Im going to check out a gun club this weekend and Im hoping to see one before I plunk down my $$ on one.

Good to see there are some fellow state residents here on the forum.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Ok I dont really have anything useful to add, but I have to ask.. what kind of jeep ya got? or do you? not for sure from your first post.

Nathan
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
XDJeepGuy said:
Ok I dont really have anything useful to add, but I have to ask.. what kind of jeep ya got? or do you? not for sure from your first post.

Nathan
Wrangler
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
Smoke_Works said:
Unless you are former military, you will need a safety class in Idaho, otherwise bring your DD-214 to the Sheriff's office and it takes a few weeks to receive it. ..."

He will not necessarily need a safety class - evidence of participating in competition shooting is enough. Depending on your local sheriff, writing "learned to handle guns from father" is enough to get the CCW. Also, hunter education course works too.

Great to see all these Idaho folks posting! The panhandle is really a great place to live in a great state. Besides, you've got LOTS of snowshoe hare up there and I they are my favorite critters to hunt! Kind of hard to find them in numbers in SW Idaho though.

Rotnguns
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Where are all you ID guys at? I'm from Lewiston, and still live in the area.

Tom
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
733 Posts
As with the pistol itself, finding a holster that works well for you can take some time. It's a combination of both personal preference (leather, kydex, IWB, OWB, etc.) as well as your individual body size and shape. You most likely will need to try a few, before you find one that is comfortable for you.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
sarguy said:
Where are all you ID guys at? I'm from Lewiston, and still live in the area.

Tom
Im practically your neighbor….Im outside of Moscow.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top